Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSafe heat source for hypothermia kit?Safe heat source for hypothermia kit?
Previous

Next
New Post
5/1/2015 8:28 AM

I like to carry a "hypothermia kit" of sorts in my hunting pack.

This consists of a sit pad, a cover of some sort, usually a poncho, but could be a space or sportsmans blanket, and a heat source,  which so far has been an extra 1/2 dozen hand warmers, that get tucked in my pits and strapped to  my Carotid arteries  with a neck gaiter.  The hand warmers will warm you up, but wont help you dry out.

I carry a can of Sterno when there's a possibility of immersion, but am a bit sketched out by curling up with an open flame when I've got a case of the cold stupids.  

I have a tealight lantern that seems safe enough,  but was not useful in subzero  temps as only a small amount of wax would melt around the wick. I assume the aluminum cup was radiating the heat out of the wax before it could melt.   I'm pretty sure its a "Uco Micro candle lantern", but its in the bottom of the POS crate so I cant confirm at the moment.   

I have an old Zippo hand warmer, that I've played with, but  its not really the kind of thing that I want leave in a pack "just in case" and messing with flammable and evaporate liquids when cold dumb and clumsy doesn't appeal.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, towards a practical  heat source that I can justify always carrying in a Tarahumara  based hunting kit.

New Post
5/3/2015 5:52 AM

Here's a little back ground info on "hypothermia kits".

http://www.watertribe.com/magazine/y2...

New Post
5/5/2015 9:34 AM

The cold stupid is a real issue. I carry Uberfire canisters for that use, but there is the open heat source you are talking about. I am not sure if there is an alternative that is both a significant heat source and no open flames. The warm packs are about the only thing I know of that heat without open flame, unless you talk about something electric. I know some folks like the Zippos, but having tried to keep zippo lighters full, I avoid them.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/5/2015 9:58 AM

http://www.narescue.com/NAR_Hypothermia_Prevention_and_Management_Kit_(HPMK)_-CNC4D4EC48BF3C.html

Its a bit much for a Tara but once the heater gets cooking (think giant hot hands) it really cooks. If they are the same as when I was in the Army, they are vacuum sealed to about the size of a VHS tape.

http://www.narescue.com/Heat_Reflective_Shell_(HRS)-CNF7270B13AEC0.html?BC=57111D577414

Here is the mylar bag only.  I imagine you get in that thing and bang out some squats you'd be good for a bit.

EDIT to add, NARP is an overpriced and slightly douchey company.  If you can find this same stuff somewheres else I would.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Excuse me while I whip this out.

New Post
5/5/2015 4:48 PM

I would certainly conciser carrying a couple "NAR HPMK" kits if I was responsible for other people in a cold water situation. They seem a little limited, as they are the kind of stuff held onto until there is an actual emergency. I would rather not have to wait for my discomfort to reach a particular threshold.

I may have found the the ultimate "candle holder" that will give me a little separation from the flame if I nod off. Its multi-use, can hold a bigger candle and is $$titanium$$.

http://fourdog.com/bushcooker-lt-i-bush-camp-stove/

A vented tomato paste can with would do the same thing at .001% the cost. Hmmm?

At this point I am going to try and get my $12 candle lantern to actually function as a lantern. Google tells me that there are a number of different types of tea light candles available including ones in plastic cups , so I'm going freeze a couple different types in a block of ice and see what works.

For the time being I'll keep with the extra extra heat packs.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSafe heat source for hypothermia kit?Safe heat source for hypothermia kit?