Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralBicycle rifle carryBicycle rifle carry
Previous

Next
New Post
5/15/2014 10:40 AM

A couple weekends agoI spent some time near the Oregon Badlands. I wanted to ride the trails on my bicycle while carrying my GSR. My method was using a pack mounted rifle sleeve (velcro trifold flaps and a hanging 'cup' for the muzzle oriented down). The method works ok but the butt needs to be away from the pack. It smacked the back of my helmet a couple times until I got it just right.

Does anybody have a preffered way to carry a rifle safely on the bycicle itself?

New Post
5/15/2014 10:55 AM

If you are running a hard tail, get a rack and mount a scabbard to the side of it. I used one of the ATV ones with good effect for hunting off a bike. Otherwise a VCAS sling cross body with the rifle muzzle down alongside your pack, if you are wearing one, or just across you back, cinched tight works pretty well.  You aren't going to be doing anything agro with the rifle on a sling, but for cruising around on trails/roads and seeing country it works pretty well. One trick you can do is rig up a big rubber band (think 3" wide) on the side of you pack to keep your rifle in place.  I have used a Grimlock on a Prairie Belt with the rubber band looped around it pretty well. The rifle was slung and the rubber band controlled it. To use the rifle I opened the grimlock and then brought the rifle up.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
9/19/2014 8:38 AM

Thanks for the advice Scott. I finally had the chance to go bikepacking last weekend which meant I found a method of safely carrying my carbine on my bike. A buddy and I spent four days in the Siskiyous and Kalmioopsis Wilderness. Apart from the Army I have little experience with actual long distance packpacking. My main drawback is convincing myself I need to carry less gear. My pack was 35 pounds and the bike had about 16 pounds on it. My buddy had a 20 pound pack and nothing on his bike. Your gear lists are very well put together. With my stubborn ways I knew the only way to learn to carry less was to carry what I thought I needed. Apart from 3 flat tires and idiots shooting into our camp (apparently shooting at the lake) we had a great time.

The 5.11 rifle sleeve is a tri-fold padded sleeve with a cup that can fit a supresses barrel. There is a buckle strap inside in case the velcro fails. Overall it worked well. It can be strapped to a pack (intended purpose). The only trouble came when I had to drag the bike over large rocks. The rear was quite heavy and made it difficult to maneuver. At one point I strapped the rifle to the handlebars to distribute weight. If anyone does this, tape the muzzle or cap it because you will likely get dirt in there.

5.11 Tactical Rush Tier Rifle Sleeve

California pitcher plants (Darlingtonia californica) in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness at Vulcan Lake. They can live in serpentine soils high in metals and pH.

The fires up north made an amazing sunrise.

New Post
9/19/2014 10:52 AM

Nice setup

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
9/21/2014 8:35 AM

I carried a rifle slung across my back on a motorcycle once.

Worked well enough.

Not sure that it would be quite as comfortable after a few miles on a bicycle due to the amount of movement involved in peddling.

If you intend to go any distance I would strongly consider a rack mounted scabbard since I really don't like much weight on my back while riding.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralBicycle rifle carryBicycle rifle carry