Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralGaiter suggestion?Gaiter suggestion?
Previous

Next
New Post
5/23/2016 11:43 PM

Greetings,

I work in an area of California that is dominated by annual grasses. The grass seeds (fox tails) from these grasses find their way into your socks no matter what you do. I wear 9" boots and still get seeds poking me all the time. I have used OR Rocky Mountain high gaiters over my pants and they keep the seeds out pretty well. However, the Velcro attracts the seeds like nobody's business. It's painstaking work to pull them out of the strip of Velcro on that model of gaiters. Many brands of gaiters feature Velcro. I'm looking for a pair of gaiters that is essentially a sleeve that goes over your lower leg. I wouldn't mind putting them on before my boots. Has anyone seen a product like that anywhere?  It would also be good if it was a lighter fabric as it is often 100° when I'm in the field. I'm thinking such a product doesn't exist as I have conducted an exhaustive Internet search but I thought I would ask here because you guys know your gear. Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Best,

krag

New Post
5/24/2016 6:22 AM

These only use a patch of velcro glued to the heel of the shoe.  Maybe you could modify them.

https://dirtygirlgaiters.com/ 

New Post
5/24/2016 7:15 AM

Mountain Laurel Designs makes a pair of lightweight gaiters in eVent--I've used them pretty extensively and the only drawback I've found is that the shockcord on the bottom can fray and need to be replaced.  FWIW, I ended up going with a custom size, as I couldn't find any gaiters on the market (OR, etc.) I could get around my size 15 old-school hiking boots.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/...

New Post
5/24/2016 11:49 PM

I've got a pair of British surplus gore-tex gaiters that have a zipper closure with laces at the top, I think there's a velcro flap that covers the zipper but should be able to remove it without affecting their ability to keep the seeds out . Could be worth checking your local surplus store for them.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
6/19/2016 7:40 PM

Take-a-knee wrote:

These only use a patch of velcro glued to the heel of the shoe.  Maybe you could modify them.

https://dirtygirlgaiters.com/ 

I have a pair of those. they're great for trail running, but I wouldn't expect them to hold up to much abrasion based on the material used. 

New Post
6/19/2016 11:17 PM

I'd recommend DIY. simple nylon tube with drawstring at either end. Could cut up a pair of pants (ECWCS rain pants if you want goretex) and have half the work done for you already.

I've made a few pull-on gaiters because I too hate velcro. I pulled a pattern off my OR gaiters and just eliminated the overlap on the front, I like the shape because it covers more of the laces on the boots but no reason to go that fancy if you don't want.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralGaiter suggestion?Gaiter suggestion?