Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereBackcountry Trip Western Colorado Dec 7-9thBackcountry Trip Western Colorado Dec 7-9th
Previous

Next
New Post
11/4/2012 5:20 PM

We're taking a backcountry trip in Western Colorado on December 7th - 9th which is open to all who wish to attend. Exact location is TBD, but if you've got that weekend free, would like to attend, and have any preferences, sing out.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
11/5/2012 2:59 PM

I won't have the vacation time left for the year to make it over.  Bummer.

New Post
11/8/2012 3:51 PM

When you say backcountry, are you talking car camping in national forest, 15 mile wilderness ski tour, or something in between?

New Post
11/9/2012 2:45 PM

Westy wrote

When you say backcountry, are you talking car camping in national forest, 15 mile wilderness ski tour, or something in between?

We are hoping to head out on skis for a few days, but will make that call as we get closer based on weather. It will most likely be something in between either way. 

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
11/30/2012 9:47 AM

What's the word gentlemen?

New Post
11/30/2012 6:45 PM

Just got back from scouting the site:

If the trailhead is still accessible next weekend, the spot in the picture above is where we're camping.

• 4hrs and 40 minutes from Denver to Trailhead
  • 3 miles and 650 feet of elevation gain starting at ~7200
  • Bring microspikes or trekking poles, much of the trail is packed snow and ice along a creek bottom
  • Through line TH down Coal Creek Road south of Paonia Reservoir
  • Some of us will be heading in Friday morning
  • We'll be camped in Navajo flat at the junction of Navajo flats trail and Throughline / Minnesota Pass trail. I can give UTM coords if you need
  • We'll spend Friday and Saturday night in the same spot to allow flexibility for folks with different schedules to meet up with us
  • There is ample day hiking out of this location, but you may want to bring snowshoes if that is your plan. South facing slopes are bare, but snow can be built up elsewhere
  • There was fresh elk sign today in the valley around the ridge from the camp location

If we get the big dump of snow that we're needing between now and then, we'll move the location to Dominguez canyon. We can make that call as the weekend approaches. Timewise, the itinerary will be the same in either location. Any other questions, info@hillpeoplegear.com.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
12/7/2012 6:32 PM

Looks like a terrific site. Looks like a cold weekend as well. I'll be near Gunnison with my son. Glad we have on of those heated shelters, could easily be around 0

http://www.seekoutside.com | sig added by EH... go check out Kevin's stuff!

New Post
12/10/2012 7:07 AM

Here's some pics of how it went down.

I'll let the other attendee post his own pictures so he gets due credit for his excellent photog skills.

New Post
12/10/2012 7:56 AM

Great photos. We were not very far from you as the crow flies. Did you get a big snow dumping like we did ? 

New Post
12/10/2012 12:48 PM

We were sitting in camp Saturday afternoon watching the storm boil up over the ridge and I started worrying about being able to drive out of the trailhead if we got as much snow as it looked like was coming. So we headed out that night. Don't know how much snow ended up falling on the side we were on, but it was probably the right call. My tires are too wide to accept chains without hitting underframe components -- so it's up to whatever I can get done with A/Ts.

New Post
12/10/2012 1:49 PM

We car camped but no one was within 5 or 6 miles. The first thing I did Sunday morning was see if I could drive out to the main dirt road (which was still 9 miles before a plowed road). My hitch was dragging in the snow underneath , I estiamte we got a good 15" where we were located. The XL wood stove sure was nice to have that night. I feel like I'm becomig a bit of an unintentional storm chaser. I think Ive been camping in every major weather system we have had this fall. That has to end :) , but I guess it's good for gear testing.

The snow combined with the warm tipi fabric created a nicely insulated shelter until I knocked the accumulation off. I woke up at 2 am and it must have been 45 -50 degess in the tent until I opened the door.

New Post
12/11/2012 9:15 AM

Great photos! 

Wish I could have joined.  Looking forward to seeing Superbadger's photos too!

New Post
12/11/2012 3:12 PM

I was lucky enough to get two whole months off of work, so I decided that a trip to the new HPG world headquarters was in order. I packed up the car and drove out to Grand Junction and linked up with the Hill brothers to enjoy some good Colorado scenery. I tagged along with Evan on this trip into the West Elks, which marks my first backpacking trip into the Rockies. Although it was a short one, I really enjoyed the trip, and came away with an appreciation for a part of the country that I haven't yet spend much time in. 

It was a short hike in, which allowed Evan and I to set up camp and still have a fair amount of daylight left to go do some hiking. 

We were camped in a Seek Outside Backcountry shelter. It was plenty big for the two of us. The stove we used was an Evan Hill constructed stove lovingly called "The Little Pig".

Taking in the sights from our camp

Evans base mapping GPS phone app was really handy while we were remabling around.

The mountain serape made a great layering piece for hanging around camp, as well as hanging out while glassing and eating lunch. Temps were in the mid-30's during the day, but the wind definitely made things pretty cold at times. It was nice to be able to hunker down and enjoy a hot meal while we stopped for a break to take in the scenery.

Notes/Stuff I carried:

Pack: Kifaru Longhunter frame w/ HPG shoulder harness and modified stays, HPG Silnylon pakpag w/ highlander and compression kit.

Bedroll: North Face Snowshoe 0*, NeoAir large pad, montbell pillow, Mountain Serape (used as overbag at night). I was almost too warm with this setup.

Clothes: REI Acme softshell pants, Ibex merino hoody, Arc'Teryx Atom LT hoody, Arc'Teryx wraith windshirt, Smartwool base layer, Thorlo/Smartwool socks. Arc'Teryx belt. REI One gloves

Boots: Solomon Quest 4D Gore-Tex boots (These did well, but this will be their last trip. The boots wetted out from snow/sweat. Comfortable though)

Kahtoola Micro Spikes- These were MANDATORY. They allowed us save travel across a trail heavy with slick glaze ice. Travel would have been slow and dangerous without them. Evan and I took to hanging ours off of our belts with grimlocks for quick access while on the trail.

Cooking/Eating: MSR Titanium Kettle, Trangia alcohol stove w/ home made wire pot stand and wind screen, Hydroflask bottle for hot beverages. Incidentally, I filled my hydroflask with hot water right before bed, and put it in the foot of my sleeping bag. It radiated a small amount of heat throughout the night, and was pretty warm in the morning. This allowed us to have hot water pretty quick in the morning via the wood stove. 

Katadyn Hiker Pro filter- Love this thing, easy to use and good output

REI trail chair- really really nice for lounging in camp and on the trail. Doubles as extra insulation when laid flat at night.

Camera: Panasonic GF-1 carried in my right side canteen pocket on the belt for quick access.

Springfield 1903A3 scout rifle

New Post
12/11/2012 8:27 PM

This looks like a party fellas! give me a year or so to get out of school, and less poor, and I'd LOVE to go on a trip with you guys!!

New Post
12/12/2012 10:41 AM

I missed this somehow noted to check this area more often hopefully I can make it to the next one

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereBackcountry Trip Western Colorado Dec 7-9thBackcountry Trip Western Colorado Dec 7-9th