By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You are able to update your settings at any time.

Cookie Policy

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser, and then subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things that a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly Necessary Cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website e.g. logging in etc.

Cookies:
  • .ASPXANONYMOUS
  • .DOTNETNUKE
  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • CV_Portal
  • CV_Store_Portal_Cart_21
  • CV_USER
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_21
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance Cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited or how you navigated around our website.

Cookies:
  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional Cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting Cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralFirst Team HuntFirst Team Hunt
Previous

Next
New Post
8/8/2021 8:13 PM

hey hillpeople team,

i’m going on my first bow hunt in two weeks. elk hunting up in the uintahs.

is there anything you wish you knew or had on your first hunt? any suggestions for a first time hunter?

i’m planning on taking my umlindi, and m16 pack. with the standard first aid kit and emergency gear.

thanks for the help!

New Post
8/11/2021 8:10 AM

As a "first-time hunter" my biggest recommendation is to manage expectations. No elk hunt I've been on has gone exactly to plan as there are variables you can't control i.e. weather, people, the ELK! Keep a positive attitude willing to adopt and have fun. Hope you get an elk and post here to share.

New Post
8/12/2021 3:00 PM

Olson hit the nail on the head. If you score you first time out especially on Elk it is a pretty big deal. If the animals aren't in the area be prepared to move to a different area. In other words if you are not seeing fresh sign and or animals than you are in the wrong area. Pay attention to where hunting pressure is and try to be where it isn't, cause that is what the critters will be trying to do.

Use you binos a lot. Move slowly and take frequent pauses to survey everything within eye shot with your binos near to far. That is assuming you are moving and not stationary. If you are stationary still use your binos a lot still near to far. You would be amazed the stuff you see with binos even up close that you don't see with the naked eye, until you have been "clued" in. Don't be afraid of noise, but make a natural sounding noise. The reality is that animals make a lot of noise in the normal course of moving around. They are only silent if they are sneaking around. Sneaking around is a warning signal to other animals. Animals for the most part don't line out and move at a fast steady pace unless they are going somewhere with purpose. That is something else that animals que off of. I try to just stop and start, pauses like I am investigating something to eat or maybe even grazing, and then move on unhurriedly. In other words like an ungulate would feeding. If you are sitting down again just unhurried natural movements, be relaxed.

I think the biggest thing is the body language and intent you are putting out. Find video of an African water hole. As long as the lion/cheetah is just going about its business unconcerned all the prey animals are chill. Heck the predator may be within striking distance, but as long as he doesn't seem like he is hunting the other animals don't worry about it. However, the second that predator sneaks behind a bush, and it doesn't matter how far away it is, all of the prey animals are suddenly nervous and watchful. I think far to many hunters make the mistake of going into the woods with a mission. They project that "I am on the hunt vibe". They sneak around, the move quickly from cover to cover. They go in straight lines with determination, etc... All of that is warning signs to prey animals. Try and get into a rhythm or flow that has an unconcerned vibe to it.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/12/2021 8:08 PM

Have fun and enjoy your time in the backcountry!

Practice non traditional shooting positions with your bow. Sitting, kneeling, leaning out from behind a tree, shooting under and around branches/vegetation, unhill/downhill, etc. Check your bows zero/pins, and confirm it regularly. Keep a "stump shooting" arrow in the quiver. Have a plan for getting the meat out.

Best of luck filling the freezer!

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
8/15/2021 12:58 PM

that was a good reminder. these last few weeks i’ve been building up in my mind the idea that “i’m gonna get an elk my first hunt!”

i needed that reminder lol that heaps can happen, and not go the way you want. plus, going hunting (at least for me) is mostly going out with family and spending time out in the bush. thanks

New Post
8/15/2021 1:00 PM

thanks scott, i really liked that advice and it resonated with me. ill be sure to do that while cruising through the bush. i also think that people really hyper focus on the idea that they need to sneak around while hunting. ill be sure to keep that in mind while moving naturally.

New Post
8/15/2021 1:01 PM

yeas yeas! i shoot traditional bows, so those unconventional shooting positions are my bread and butter.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralFirst Team HuntFirst Team Hunt