Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralAskari Frontier Belt Knife!Askari Frontier Belt Knife!
Previous

Next
New Post
10/27/2015 5:44 PM

In the mail today...all the way from South Africa....I received one of the coolest gifts I've ever gotten: 
A hand-made knife from my good friend Anton Du Plessis. Anton tracks down rhino poachers and brings them to justice (sometimes all it costs is a 7.62 round) for the Silent Heroes Foundation. Truly a noble profession. On the side, he makes these beautiful knives that are not meant to be kept in a showcase...but rather used for their intended purposes.
WOW! This is a bad-ass piece of work!  
The Askari Frontier Belt Knife.
O-1 tool steel, heat treated to Rockwell 58.  
1/4" thick, approximately 10 1/2" overall length with a 5 1/2" blade. Great balance (just after the first pin in the handle back from the blade). Feels nice and nimble. Nice jimping on the spine, too. African Blackwood scales, full tang....razor sharp. Great patina finish that makes it look (on purpose) as old as the South African Bushveld. Really cool Kydex sheath, set up for diagonal lumbar carry. Man! I cannot wait to try this bad-boy out tomorrow and show it off to the guys at work! Thank you, Mate! I truly owe you one! Stay safe out in the bush and kick poacher ass! Can't wait to get out there with you again.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
10/27/2015 6:44 PM

Lovin' it. Can't wait to hear about edge retention and sharpening with that O-1. That should definitely be long lasting blade.

Lug1.... If you falter in a time of trouble, how small is your strength?

New Post
10/27/2015 7:17 PM

lug1 wrote:
Lovin' it. Can't wait to hear about edge retention and sharpening with that O-1. That should definitely be long lasting blade.

When I was out in the bush with Anton, he was using one exactly like this every day.  Hard-use, too...not just wittlin' sticks.  He cut hard acacia branches, processed firewood, sparked firesteels, other tasks....the edge remained good to go.  Sharpening this knife for me will only require some stropping with black and/or green compound on a leather strop block, and occasional touch ups with fine grit sandpaper.  I've got a little field kit from Knives Ship Free.com that has everything I need to maintain it.  I already stropped it a bit....it is slicing through paper with ease and popping hairs off my arm.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
10/30/2015 3:00 PM

I decided that the awesome knife that my friend Anton Du Plessis sent me from South Africa needed a good leather sheath to compliment the "Old as the Bushveld" look of the knife. The great Kydex sheath that came with the knife will be for hard field use, but for other times, I'll run this one that I made myself. I used good tooling leather and waxed thread that I cut, shaped, wet-formed, dyed, and hand-stitched myself. I designed it for cross-draw or lumbar carry...or on my dominant side, using a separate drop strap I made. I added a fire steel loop and an extra loop at the top of the belt slot, to use with the drop strap...or for additional retention, if needed. I'm really happy with how it turned out, and the wet-forming gave the sheath great retention. It was my first try at really building my own leather sheath.

New Post
10/31/2015 6:01 AM

That's incredibly slick Ken! Nice work.

New Post
10/31/2015 2:58 PM

CollinAshmore wrote:
That's incredibly slick Ken! Nice work.

Thanks!

New Post
11/15/2015 8:09 PM

Hey Ken is there a web site to get this knife . I checked out the web page but its not been active for a while . oh and I agree SLICK rig

"Wilderness itself is the basis of all our civilization. I wonder if we have enough reverence for life to concede to wilderness the right to live on?" - Theodore Roosevelt

New Post
11/16/2015 2:23 AM

Kurt, the best way is probably to write Anton Du Plessis at this email address: anton@ratcutlery.co.za

Or, contact him via this Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AskariKnives...

If you don't have any luck getting into contact with him via either of these methods, let me know and I will contact him to make sure he looks for an email from you.

Hope that helps!

New Post
11/26/2015 3:43 PM

Thank you Ken , I got a hold of him , he makes some cool knives . I appreciate all your help .

"Wilderness itself is the basis of all our civilization. I wonder if we have enough reverence for life to concede to wilderness the right to live on?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralAskari Frontier Belt Knife!Askari Frontier Belt Knife!