By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You are able to update your settings at any time.

Cookie Policy

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser, and then subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things that a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly Necessary Cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website e.g. logging in etc.

Cookies:
  • .ASPXANONYMOUS
  • .DOTNETNUKE
  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • CV_Portal
  • CV_Store_Portal_Cart_21
  • CV_USER
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_21
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance Cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited or how you navigated around our website.

Cookies:
  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional Cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting Cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralStove for tent usageStove for tent usage
Previous

Next
New Post
5/28/2020 7:42 AM

I was looking thru some youtube and came across this stove from GoLite, https://www.liteoutdoors.com/product/...titanium-stove/

Packs up small and seems easy enough to put together and not that heavy. 

12″ Stove

• Weight (with 8′ stove pipe) – 2 lbs 6 oz.
  • Diameter – 8.25″
  • Fire Box Volume –  640 cubic inches
  • Stove Pipe Diameter – 2.5″

New Post
5/29/2020 12:20 PM

I've owned two collapsible titanium woodstoves and, when conditions are perfect, you'll feel very smug using them.  (I think LiteOutdoors is a reputable company.)  The problem is assembling them when your hands are cold.  It's the wrong time to be fiddling with nuts and small metal parts.  Maybe I'm just clumsy but there's nothing worse than dropping a part into the snow when you'd really rather be sitting by a fire.  As well, the smaller body means a smaller burn time.  They can dry out a small single wall tent rather nicely but you won't be curling up by it all night long.

The HPG Shepherd stove looks like it solved both of those problems but it's not available.  If you'd like the best, go with a Four Dog titanium model.  Not a backpacking stove, but you can't beat it pulled on a pulk.

New Post
5/29/2020 12:52 PM

Thanks, I’ll look into it

New Post
5/29/2020 2:53 PM

I have a Seek Outside stove, and it has a few wingnuts, etc. that are part of the assembly, but I've never found it to be all the difficult to put together in cold weather. If it's a situation where I'm worried about dropping small parts into the snow, etc. I just assemble the stove on top of a tarp or whatever.

It's also a nice bonus to be able to heat the tent and have a hot surface to cook on at the same time.

ChrisF is right though - they're great when they're cranking, but they will burn through fuel fast and not retain heat for very long, unlike a more traditional, heavy wood stove. And the smaller the stove, the more you'll have to continually feed it. That said, for cold weather camping, it sure takes the edge off, at least until you go to sleep.

New Post
6/27/2020 8:11 PM

I purchased a Kni-co packer stove for my winter tent Esker 12x12 group pulk.

Gotta agree with what other have said. Its rock star accommodations while the stove is going but its less than ideal on your own. Even once youve got the damper, flue and fuel selection figured out the burn time is short.

While soloing, it was a nightmare of stoking the stove, falling asleep for 90 plus minutes and waking up shivering around the 2 hour plus mark.

I love it. In a tent group of 3 or 4 with rotating stove watch. Solo? I'll take my hammock rig every time.

Occasional Texan | Albertan in the heart | Living in Peace off the Red River

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralStove for tent usageStove for tent usage