By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You are able to update your settings at any time.

Cookie Policy

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser, and then subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things that a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly Necessary Cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website e.g. logging in etc.

Cookies:
  • .ASPXANONYMOUS
  • .DOTNETNUKE
  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • CV_Portal
  • CV_Store_Portal_Cart_21
  • CV_USER
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_21
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance Cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited or how you navigated around our website.

Cookies:
  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional Cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting Cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWhich EDC bag? Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, GoRuck, Hill People Gear?Which EDC bag? Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, GoRuck, Hill People Gear?
Previous

Next
New Post
3/14/2020 3:45 AM

I'm looking for an EDC pack in the 15-20L range. I've looked at the GoRuck Echo/GR1, Kifaru E&E, Mystery Ranch ASAP (not a fan of their "Urban" line), and Hill People Gear Taruhumara. The HPG and Kifaru bags are more in my price range, but I'm flexible. I like the E&E because it's got MOLLE on the outside, but it's a bit simple. The HPG pack has a frame sheet insert for $25 that's got MOLLE spacing on it, so there's a lot of potential for interior organization, but HPG's whole attachment system on the outside seems pretty proprietary, whereas with Kifaru I could use any MOLLE gear. The HPG looks more civilian, but I'm not too concerned about looks.

Whatever bag I get, I'm thinking of setting up a system of MOLLE pouches for different purposes (i.e., work, small tool bag, camera gear) that can easily be exchanged with MALICE clips or the like. They'd go on the inside in the HPG bag, outside on the Kifaru, and choice of either on the MR and GoRuck, I guess.

I'm interested in using the HPG shoulder harness on the E&E, possibly. Anyone done this? I read it can be done quite easily. Kifaru sells the X-ray straps for it, but the HPG harness looks really comfortable.

I'm a short and fat, about 5'8" 220lbs, if that will matter. On an average day I'd like to be carrying a flashlight, knife, maybe multitool, some zip ties, tape, a small first aid kit, 8" chef's knife in one of those plastic clam shell sheaths, maybe a jacket (no qualms about attaching it on the outside if it's a big, puffy one, though), deodorant, a few pens and sharpies, a lighter, gloves, nail clippers. I'm pretty confident it'll all fit into a small 15L pack, since most of it fits into a tiny fraction of my 30L pack right now--and with a bag like the Kifaru, I could attach pouches on the outside if I wanted to temporarily pack more without wanting to repack in a bigger bag.

Maybe my question's better suited for edc, but I've taken a lot of purchasing advice from this sub and it hasn't let me down, so I thought I'd ask here first. Hope my post makes any sense. It's 2:30 in the morning here and I've had a few drinks.

Thanks in advance.

New Post
3/14/2020 8:59 PM

The Kifaru E&E is a pocket, not a pack.  IIRC, I've owned three of them.  It was too small to be of any use by itself when I was in Iraq, so I set it up as a truck bail-out bag, IE ammo and medical. 

A Tarahumara might work for you, but the easy answer is an Umlindi.

New Post
3/15/2020 7:18 AM

I'll second the Umlindi. It compresses down quite small when not full, but can hold a respectable amount of gear when fully expanded.

Mine is my EDC bag. I carry a laptop (sometimes 2) and enough gear to get me across the river from Portland to my truck in the event of an earth quake or calaminty on the days when I have to work in town. It's also my day hiking bag. I've used it as an overnight bag for short trips out of town. I can do backcountry over nights with it if I'm solo. I did buy a recon belt for that purpose.

I did add a Aston pocket to the outside.

New Post
3/15/2020 10:36 AM

HPG's Molle system will work with other molle platforms. I don't have an Umlindi yet. UTE and kit bags. If your looking minimalist-tara. EDC that can expand and contract to 95% of what you want-Umlindi. It's just so versatile. I would say look at the junction, but the junction wouldn't compress like the umlindi does. Your organization will probably be through the insert and pouches anyway.

Just reread your post with you having a 30L already. Than for all intents and purposes, I am re-thinking a Tarahumara is in your budget and need. Plus you may be able to dock it to your 30L. 

New Post
3/15/2020 3:11 PM

So, my two cents.

GoRuck Echo/GR1 - two different approaches here. FWIW, I have owned a GR1, and currently use a GR2 for some travel, and a Bullet at work for running around my facility. Going by your EDC list, the Echo would serve you fine. The packs are bombproof. They blend in well enough in urban environments to not stand out as "tactical" as long as you don't have too much stuff hanging off them. The full-opening feature is nice for packing and access. You've mentioned adding MOLLE-style pouches, which begs the question of "what" you need to add that won't fit in the regular pack. Again, based on your statements, I think the GR1 would be overkill for what you're seeking. Downsides of the GR series packs - they're heavy, they don't offer much in the way of compression, and I personally find them more suited for urban EDC and travel than for wilderness events.

Kifaru E&E - as the others have said, this is more a pocket than a pack. I echo the above in that I found it too small for EDC options, and more suited for a bail bag/supplemental item.

Mystery Ranch ASAP - I have one of these in the quiver as well. TO be honest, I found it frustrating as an EDC bag, particularly if trying to carry a laptop, jacket and the like. The pack is narrow, which helps for scrambling and off-trail stuff. The suspension is decent. I personally use mine for a weighted pack for short rucks (25lb plate, 3 liter bladder and a jacket). Internal organization is not intuitive or convenient for EDC type stuff. My only other use (if I was still overseas) would be possibly setting it up as a bail bag as well. Basically it's a *decent* pack, but just doesn't cross the line to awesome in my book.

I don't have an Umlindi yet, so can't offer an informed opinion there.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWhich EDC bag? Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, GoRuck, Hill People Gear?Which EDC bag? Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, GoRuck, Hill People Gear?