Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGC20M (Tara docked) w/ V2 & PB on ALICE w/ Alipad C20M (Tara docked) w/ V2 & PB on ALICE w/ Alipad
Previous

Next
New Post
6/13/2013 8:13 PM

Mounted the C20M packbag onto my ALICE frame and used my V2 Shoulder Harness and Prairie Belt.  Rigged up some compression straps and docked my Tarahumara to it.  Then added the HSGI Alipad I just got to the frame.  Loaded the ruck up to ~40lbs.  I got to test this set-up out today for a couple hours with what I would consider a medium load.  Feels very comfortable and I feel that the Alipad augmented the HPG harness well.  Fitting it to the existing harness wasn't hard at all.  I would say that this set-up would be more in line for a heavier load, say up to the 60lb. range.  For a lighter load, I can remove the Alipad pretty easily and just run the HPG suspension by itself.  Really pleased with how it turned out and love the C20M for its simplicity and bomb-proof construction.  I'll pay my hard-earned money for quality American products like this anyday.  The Tara is working great as a compression piece along with the straps I rigged up (I found an on-line source for G-hooks, etc.).  Now that my knee is feeling better post-surgery, this pack will be the one I will use as part of my program to get back out into the hills and put in some miles.  I have become more impressed with the Hill People Gear products I have every time I use them!  You just cannot beat the versatility, modularity, and craftsmanship that shines in these products!  Evan & Scot....you guys definitely have the magic when it comes to hard-use backcountry gear design.  Hope you never change the recipe.  I'm so happy with this C20M and suspension, I have ordered a DEI 1606 AC frame for it.  A pack this nice deserves a new frame!

The pockets on the Alipad are meant for hydration bladders (they have a small hole at the top), or for soft items...maybe light rain gear.

Used an additional pair of straps and G-hooks to run from the Tara to the frame.  These, along with the side compression straps make nice tool holders for an axe or my alpenstock.

The Alipad backpad is pretty comfy, I have to say.  It married up to the HPG suspension without issue.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/19/2013 2:33 PM

It looks good, I am thinking about doing something similiar with the C20M bag I just ordered, but mounted to my Dana Designs frame.  I have reread your post a couple of times and it doesn't seem like attaching the bag to the frame was an issue.  Did you have to order or make the attaching straps or did they come with the packbag?

New Post
6/19/2013 3:37 PM

The C20M came with sewn-on straps and G-hooks to mount it onto the frame...super easy.  Evan (bless his heart) included some other strappage (along with some G-hooks and pieces/parts I already had on-hand), which allowed me to create the compression system when docked to my Tarahumara.  I set it up so that I can just connect the G-hooks on the compression straps to each other for when I am running the pack sans Tara.  

I have since re-mounted this pack and Alipad (as seen above) onto a DEI 1606 AC frame which took the comfort level up another notch and gave me more versatility as to where I could attach compression straps, etc.  

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/19/2013 5:59 PM

I am going to try and see how easily the pack bag attaches to the Dana Designs frame.  I also want to see how it attaches to one of the military MOLLE frames I have as well.  I was planning on docking a highlander to the bag, but opted out for a Tara instead.

New Post
6/19/2013 6:06 PM

Cool!  Good luck....I'm pretty sure the C20M will mount easily.  It definitely should to the MOLLE frame.  One of the beauty things about HPG's stuff is its user-friendliness and versatility...but I'm sure you already know that!

New Post
6/19/2013 6:11 PM

I just wish I could figure out how to post pictures.

New Post
6/19/2013 6:33 PM

justinspicher wrote

I just wish I could figure out how to post pictures.

Photobucket is what I use.  I downloaded the Photobucket program to my Macbook and also created an account online for Photobucket.  I download photos from my camera onto the desktop and manually upload them into Photobucket and create a picture library (Photobucket will automatically do this).  Then, I open HPG forums and Photobucket online on two different tabs on my browser.  I then go to the HPG forums and open a reply box.  Go to the Photobucket tab, open a photo in the viewer to big size, right click it and choose "Copy Image".  Then, go to the HPG tab and click the little photo icon (should be the second row down on the tool bar, with the little picture of the mountains and sun above) in the reply editor and right click the space where URL is.  Choose "Paste" and the URL for your photo will go in there.  Hit OK and then a bunch of gibberish will appear in the big space where the photo should be.  Hit OK again and the photo you want should appear in that space.  That window should then close and your photo will be pasted into your posting.  Hope that helps.  I had to fight with it a bit at first myself.

New Post
6/20/2013 10:43 AM

I will give that a shot, seems simple enough. Thanks for the info.

New Post
6/20/2013 1:24 PM

No worries.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGC20M (Tara docked) w/ V2 & PB on ALICE w/ Alipad C20M (Tara docked) w/ V2 & PB on ALICE w/ Alipad