Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWill the Kit Bag take a Holster?Will the Kit Bag take a Holster?
Previous

Next
New Post
4/5/2011 3:19 AM

It's not clear from any of the photosor the video, but how is the pistol retained?  Is there nothing to cover the trigger or allow for use with a holster?  Is there any allowance for holding spare mags?

New Post
4/5/2011 8:21 AM

Hey Underground, this is a common question. Thanks for asking it here.

The pistol compartment of the Kit Bag is essentially a pocket holster big enough for full sized pistols that sits on your chest instead of in your pocket. Just like a pocket holster, the fabric panels that sandwich your pistol are taut and completely protect the trigger guard. The pistol just sits right in the pistol compartment where it should with no problems. It’s always in the same place every time, and presents more easily and much more quickly without a secondary holster than with one. We’ve timed it. As to retention, I’ve bombed down rough trails on my mountain bike with no retention problems. When you do open the pistol compartment, it only opens down one side and about 2/3 of the way across the top as the video shows. The pistol can't really fall out even at this point. Also, magazines stowed on the off side from the pistol in the pistol compartment aren't that accessible. We put ours in the front slot pocket for quicker access. So, as I said in the beginning, think of the pistol compartment as a pocket holster, not an accessory panel.

Although some folks (who haven't actually used a Kit Bag) have asked, we haven't added a velcro panel on the back due to the extra weight, heat build up, and cost that would add. We're convinced it would take away from the Kit Bag, not add to it. We have added a single dummy cord loop on newer production Kit Bags (coyote right away and other colors as we re-stock them) in the bottom center of the pistol compartment so you can use a raven concealment trigger guard protector if you want.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/5/2011 10:55 AM

I should also mention that the consensus among people who have the Kit Bag and are using it regularly is that it doesn't need provisions for a secondary holster. This includes active duty use by two different federal law enforcement officers. Both of them are "front line" users, although they have very different sets of responsibilities.

This video shows more closely what is going on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0CEFdTkovs

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/5/2011 1:34 PM

Thanks, I see what you mean.  My primary concern was covering the trigger with something rigid since I carry an M&P without a thumb safety.  I'd be concerned about the possibility of something packed in the front poking through to possibly catch that.  I'd hate to get shot by my GPS receiver.  A trigger guard protector on a dummy cord should do the trick though.

Because like Forrest said, "It happens".  www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

New Post
4/5/2011 3:49 PM

OOPS! The coyote ones that just came in and we are now shipping DO NOT yet have this loop. I'll make it very clear on the product descriptions which ones do have the loop and which ones do not. I'll also update this thread accordingly. As of right now, we do not have any Kit Bags in stock with this loop.

New Post
4/13/2011 2:13 PM

the ranger green Kit Bags that we are now shipping DO include the pistol compartment dummy cord loop.

New Post
5/7/2011 12:57 PM

all colors of Kit Bags now have the pistol compartment dummy cord loop

New Post
11/15/2011 2:53 PM

We're now stocking the Raven Concealment VanGuard (Glock and M&P), for those who would like to purchase one along with their Kit Bag or Runner's Kit Bag.

New Post
6/4/2012 8:15 PM

I realized that I mentioned this in a newsletter, but never updated this thread. Here's what I posted in the newsletter:

Some of you have already noticed this, but most Kit Bags are now shipping with a 1.5" strip of Velcro loop in the pistol compartment between the cooling panels. The only models that we have any stock left without the Velcro are standard Kit Bags in multicam and Runner's Kit Bags in foliage (a couple left only). This strip of Velcro is for those of you wanting to use an aftermarket holster insert inside of the pistol compartment. It mostly seems to come up with folks using smaller lighter pistols and not wearing their KBs "high and tight". In those cases, the smaller pistols can float around inside the pistol compartment some. This strip of Velcro is not enough to support the weight of a full size pistol suspended above the bottom of the KB. However, it will horizontally stabilize a pistol of any size if the holster is placed on the bottom of the pistol compartment.

Ya know what? We still don't think any of this is necessary, but enough people have been asking for it that *maybe* there is something to it

New Post
9/9/2012 5:56 PM

My kit bag (with the strappy thing) has a bounce to it while running. Not bad but noticable. The bag was fairly high (centered at nipples) and as tight  as it could comfortably be. The bag itself was not moving but my Glock 19 was. A holster insert to cut down on that would be helpful. It isn't an issue while walking but more than half of it's use will be running.

Does anybody have a holster insert they are using and like?

New Post
9/9/2012 6:35 PM

theotherryan wrote

My kit bag (with the strappy thing) has a bounce to it while running. Not bad but noticable. The bag was fairly high (centered at nipples) and as tight  as it could comfortably be. The bag itself was not moving but my Glock 19 was. A holster insert to cut down on that would be helpful. It isn't an issue while walking but more than half of it's use will be running.

Does anybody have a holster insert they are using and like?

I have the Snubby.  I bought it for hikes, but mainly for when I run at night.  The pistol I carry fits small in the pocket so naturally it moves around while running.  I doubt the G19 would move in the Snubby as it would fit about perfect.  I haven't tried my G23 in the Snubby yet.  I guess I need too, but that gun is just heavy than I'd like to take running.  Jason with ROCity Holster (he's a member on this forum) made me a simple Kydex sleeve for my firearm.  It's lightweight and simple.  Has a strip of Velcro on it to attach to the Kit Bag and also has a lanyard to tie to the loop.  Excellent service and product. 

New Post
9/10/2012 2:55 PM

I had the same problem with the G19 bouncing around inside the Kit Bag while running. I posted this elsewhere, but my solution was to sew a piece of velcro (~4"x6") in the gun compartment. That allows me to use any normal velcro holster. The one I have happens to be from ITS, but I think any would work just as well. No more bouncing!

I have a Snubby as well. As Rico801 suggested, there is no bounce with that one. It fits the G19 very snug.

Edit:

Here's the thread where I first posted about this and where ROCity Holsters shows his cool Kydex solution.

New Post
9/10/2012 3:29 PM

Pigmonkey, Thanks for the pic. I was looking at that same holster. This is a big help.

New Post
9/10/2012 4:21 PM

All of the kit bags come with a strip of velcro loop sewn into the pistol compartment now. It is 1.5" wide instead of the 4" strip that pigmonkey put in his pre-velcro KB.

New Post
6/20/2014 11:18 AM

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWill the Kit Bag take a Holster?Will the Kit Bag take a Holster?