Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGAston House Backcountry Load outAston House Backcountry Load out
Previous

Next
New Post
12/11/2019 5:10 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty well committed to picking up a Backcountry to be used mainly as a travel carry-on. In the past I've puchased bags that had the same listed cubic inch measurement, but for some reason one would only hold (or so it seemed) half of what the other bag held. So I was wondering if there was someone who used this bag as a carry on that could give details of their experience. I will be using it for a 14 day trip. In the past I used a Sandpiper brand Bug-out-bag for 21 days in Europe (and carried way too much stuff). Any input would be appreciated. 

Kephart

New Post
12/13/2019 10:42 AM

Listed Cubic Inches is kind of a red herring. There is an ASTM standard, but the problem is no one really uses it, so there isn't an industry standard. Some folks use various media (styrafoam peanuts, rice, beans, etc....) which they then pour into a box or cylinder to arrive at volume. Others use a straight math formula which ignores the fact that different materials have different amounts of give and that some may "ballon" a lot more than others. We use math with a x1.5 factor as that puts us close to similar sized packs from most makers.

The next issue is design. A more open design, with fewer pockets and zippers will seem to be a lot bigger than other packs with those features. Our packs tend to have a more open design, so they seem bigger to most folks, and are easier to more stuff in. Especially if that more stuff is larger volume items rather than a bunch of smaller nick nacks.

You might get more response if you post on the owner's group on FB. The folks I know who have done it love it.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/13/2019 12:45 PM

I'm a new owner of the AHBC but I can tell you this much - a loaded up AHBC is almost identical in size to the Osprey Porter 46.  The Porter is pretty much the gold standard in easy to use carry on bags.  My wife travelled with the Porter for a year so I'm guessing the AHBC would work the same.  The harness on the AHBC is vastly better.    Kind of wish it had locking zipper pulls but that can be rigged with some thin cable.  You should be able to do 14 days out of this pack.

New Post
12/15/2019 7:19 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. Gives me more info to investigate.

Scott, I'm sorry but I don't know what  FB stands for.

New Post
12/15/2019 8:11 PM

Sorry, Facebook. 

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGAston House Backcountry Load outAston House Backcountry Load out