Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGAlaska with Windcheater?Alaska with Windcheater?
Previous

Next
New Post
11/29/2019 2:36 PM

Hey everybody, 

I will be going to Alaska sometime this winter or next and I'm trying to figure out my clothing system. I realize that the Windcheater is basically a wind shirt with no insulation, and that it is not waterproof. But I am curious what the coldest you all have had it is with proper layering underneath and a Coyote Ruff? Has anyone used it sub -10 degrees? If not, what would a good jacket to serve the same purpose for colder weather be, seeing as the Mountain Parka is still on the back burner?

New Post
12/10/2019 8:17 PM

On the move at those temps (almost always on snowshoes or skis) I'm wearing just a light base layer and a light active insulation jacket (OR Ascendant) w/ the Windcheater over the top.  When stopped I add an appropriate parka, usually just throw over the top of everything as when I'm ready to go I can just strip it off and go.  If I'm going to be stopped for a long time (or at camp), I'll put the Windcheater over the top of the parka.

New Post
12/15/2019 5:26 PM

I do a similar thing to mtwarden. Used it in temps down to -30c in various parts of Canada. Used with various different types of mid and base layers. But it is a fantastic item of clothing. It is my shell layer for anything other then heavy rain.

New Post
12/15/2019 9:40 PM

The windcheater will serve you well no matter what the temperature provided you layer it properly.  It took me a while to figure out that I really only needed base layers underneath it while moving and that the heavy layers I would want for more stationary activities go over top.  (Make sure your heavy insulator is sized large enough to slide over the windcheater easily.)  Coyote ruff is a game changer in really cold weather.  I'm not "Alaska-north" but we just finished a patch of -30C/-20F weather and the windcheater is daily wear.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGAlaska with Windcheater?Alaska with Windcheater?