Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGumlindiumlindi
Previous

Next
New Post
3/19/2016 6:26 AM

I'm really torn between the umlindi and the Tara pack. The umlindi seems to fit more of my needs..overnight backpacking/family hiking. I had a few questions and was hoping someone could help.

• How well does the umlindi carry when it is not fully packed? I am looking to potentially compress it down to the Tara width or even smaller when i trail ride.
  • how much does the panel weigh and how well does it carry without it?
  • i have a few more tactical packs but really like this one because it seems not to draw the same type of attention.  Looking at the foliage color. Is it a pretty discreet carry in a large metro city?

Thanks

New Post
3/25/2016 2:21 PM

It carries very well when not fully packed. I've never carried it without the framesheet (I presume that't what you mean by panel?) and I don't think I ever would because of how it confirms to my lumbar curve and supports the pack. With the sheet in I don't think it could possibly be narrower than the Tara. Mine is in the Foliage/Stone colorway, and the biggest city I've ever had it in is Pittsburgh, PA. it didn't seem to attract any attention, even while in an REI there. Although to be honest, I don't think most people notice "tactical" looking things anyway, unless they're into that sort of thing anyway.

New Post
3/25/2016 3:12 PM

How well does the umlindi carry when it is not fully packed? I am looking to potentially compress it down to the Tara width or even smaller when i trail ride.
It carries fine. More importantly, it carries way better full than the Tara with stuff strapped outside it. Overall, it just carries better. I have both and when using my Tara today, was wishing I had my Umlindi.

how much does the panel weigh and how well does it carry without it?
Don't know the weight. As to how well it carries without, it depends on what you're carrying. I carried mine a lot with a laptop in place of the framesheet. It did pretty well.

i have a few more tactical packs but really like this one because it seems not to draw the same type of attention. Looking at the foliage color. Is it a pretty discreet carry in a large metro city?
The foliage is pretty discreet. I have the ranger/khaki and with the two different colors, I think it looks pretty low key as well. No one seemed to look twice at it in urban/suburban settings.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGumlindiumlindi