By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You are able to update your settings at any time.

Cookie Policy

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser, and then subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things that a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly Necessary Cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website e.g. logging in etc.

Cookies:
  • .ASPXANONYMOUS
  • .DOTNETNUKE
  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • CV_Portal
  • CV_Store_Portal_Cart_21
  • CV_USER
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_21
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance Cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited or how you navigated around our website.

Cookies:
  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional Cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting Cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGS25M PackbagS25M Packbag
Previous

Next
New Post
5/29/2012 10:00 AM

It amazes me how close it size those two packbags look in the pictures.  My feeling from seeing them in person is that you can't really tell from the pictures how much bigger the L really is.  Not an issue with the pictures, but interesting how pictures can be kind of I guess "off" is the word.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/29/2012 10:11 AM

Scot,

Yeah, the big difference is the depth between the two.  I noticed the same thing though.  Might be good for Evan to post up the pics you took of him in the Ochoccos when he used the same bag (larger one). 

New Post
5/29/2012 12:55 PM

Rod, long since time you jumped in! Maybe you'll offer some perspective on the various knife threads. Hope to see you and the family before the year is out.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/29/2012 7:58 PM

Hey Evan,

Hopefully we can get together with you and everyone at a rondy or in GJ this summer, we may be heading down that way to see family and the mtns.

As far as the knives go....well....mine are the best of course!!!

http://www.skookumbushtool.com | sig added by Evan. Go check out Rod's work.

New Post
5/29/2012 8:45 PM

Rod

If you are in the area, look us up.

Kevin

http://www.seekoutside.com | sig added by EH... go check out Kevin's stuff!

New Post
5/30/2012 10:12 AM

RDinMT wrote

As far as the knives go....well....mine are the best of course!!!

Of course, but that is because you are the Bushcraft Knife Jesus.  Now if I could just get past the whole steak knife from Denny's look of scandia knives we could do some bidness. ;D  Seriously, having handled quite a few of Rod's knives if you like the scandi style he needs to be on your list. 

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/4/2012 7:11 AM

Joe,

Yes my hammock is pretty large it's a DD frontline which isn't really the best of hammocks but it works for me, using it with a hammock sleeve makes it bigger and less pack able. I use a DD 3x3m tarp which packs down quite well. I use a pacific outdoor peak oyl aero mountain mat which is quite large. I think the problem occurs with my sleeping bag which is massive it's a snugpak softie autumn most of the time. It's really bulky and has to go on the bottom of a 2500 sized bag. By the looks of it down is the way forward for me. I think I could use a 25m bag on an mmr but with my bag on top. It's seems a more fruitful design for a down bag nevertheless I do like the modular concept. and maybe it's time to seriously think about down bags as I hate having a large sleeping bag.

New Post
6/4/2012 7:42 AM

North,

Yeah my first thought was to reduce size and weight. I know that is not always an option, given the cashola it takes to do that. Evan has taken to strapping his bedding to the top of his pack to gain more room inside it instead of going to a larger pack. The compression kit would let you do that no problem.  But, if your load is pretty much always big, all year, then a larger pack may well be the way to go. 

Joe

New Post
6/4/2012 8:34 AM

you shouldn't have to go with a down bag to get the bulk of your sleeping bag down. what temp rating are you going for?

The bedroll on the top plan does two things for me. First, my "intensive" day load is really the same as my overnight load minus bedroll. This way all I have to do for a planned overnight is throw the bedroll on top. Second, the width of the internal frames (including duplex) really limits packbag shape. You have to go pear shaped or barrel shaped to get enough volume to have a good sized sleeping bag compartment -- or go up. All of the expedition sized internals I've had have had at least a 28" frame height to be tall enough to carry the older school loadouts. That's great if you want a 28" frame. I really like a 24" frame for general purpose, but then going up and still having a stabilized load becomes a problem. An extended collar doesn't cut it. You've got to be really careful about how you pack into that space to prevent a load that goes sideways or backwards above the stays and then you have all of the straps and extra weight of a floating top lid to contend with as well. A bedroll strapped horizontally on top in conjunction with one of our compression panel setups creates a much more stabilized load and gives you more capacity than just an extended collar would in a lighter and more modular configuration. That's why our packbag designs have that zippered top opening instead of a snow collar and lid configuration. If you need more capacity, throw a silnylon stuff sack on top. As it just so happens, making that stuff sack your bedroll in the smaller sized packs works out very nicely.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
6/5/2012 4:43 AM

My bag is comfort -5c and I don't usually go out much colder than that in the summer when can i will use a +2 bag but that doesn't get out much as I know if I use it and it's not hot I would be cold the summer bag isn't an issue I could almost fit that in my pocket it's so small ( the north is more of a cultural referance in england than much to do with weather). You make some good points about size and shape. I agree I reckon 24" is the most useful size for versitility and a removable frame offers the ability for tools and equipment carrying as hauler. Would you post up picture of the pack kitted out with a bed roll on top please I think if it's stable then it's an option for me I only hate strapping to the bottom of bags because the load always moves around a little which just annoys me so I don't like strapping below the level of the bag that much.

New Post
6/5/2012 8:57 AM

I'd love to see a pic of the bedroll equiped pack, as well.  While you're at it (unless I missed it somewhere else), what is the bedroll comprised of?

New Post
6/5/2012 9:25 AM

I need to get that production sample S25M pack bag back from the guy who appropriated it! Seriously, I should be able to get some pics of the bedroll on top of a MR NICE frame in the next couple of days. Hansford, you saw me rocking the bedroll on top setup on our horse ridge hike a year or so ago.

It's funny how old ways of doing things are often a great choice. I'd forgotten to mention that having your bedroll packed in its own stuff sack is also handy for other stuff. Going car camping? No need to unpack some other pack to get your stuff out in pieces, just throw your bedroll in the car along with your day pack. Same thing with crashing at a friend's house or the floor of a motel room. Don't worry about whether or not the couch is available, just throw in your bedroll. My 3-season bedroll consists of:

• Old REI stuff sack
  • Thermarest Neoair around the perimeter of the stuff sack
  • Cheap 30F rated synthetic bag. Made by slumberjack I think. Stuffed down the middle
  • Not one, but two, camper pillows stuffed down the center
  • small silnylon ground sheet that provides full coverage when folded over the top of the sleeping bag

I'll also usually have my Mountain Serape along to take me down well below freezing, but it is carried separately from this bedroll setup.

New Post
6/5/2012 12:23 PM

Here is a smaller example of a bedroll on top.

New Post
6/5/2012 12:30 PM

Right on!  Thanks.

New Post
6/5/2012 5:43 PM

Here's a newer bedroll on top of pack picture:

C20M on MR NICE frame using Tarahumara and Compression Kit with bedroll under the top straps.

New Post
6/6/2012 1:38 PM

could you guys maybe show a C25M on a DD K2 frame? I am trying to visualize how it is going to attach to it- thanks

New Post
6/6/2012 2:31 PM

Jsonn,

That we can do.  But it will take some time.  Our DD frame and pack bags are not co located so give it a minute.  Probably will show the sil bag first, as those are the first 25s we are getting.  Same attachment methods though.

New Post
6/7/2012 12:10 PM

Joe

Is the HPG pack in the first picture a prototype daypack? Looks rather nice 

New Post
6/7/2012 12:46 PM

Geko0270 wrote

Joe

Is the HPG pack in the first picture a prototype daypack? Looks rather nice 

Sure does doesn't it?  Yeah it's a prototype.  Offerings from us in the pack market will be different from what you saw though.  That little guy isn't enough to give any shoulder lift. 

New Post
6/15/2012 10:15 AM

Any word on when the S25's will hit the street or when we can preorder?

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGS25M PackbagS25M Packbag