Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGTarahumara + Alice Frame + Compression KitTarahumara + Alice Frame + Compression Kit
Previous

Next
New Post
4/13/2012 4:13 PM

I while ago I acquired an ALICE frame at the recommendation of a customer who had put one of our shoulder harnesses on one. I know there are some folks who like these frames, and they're certainly inexpensive. I set out to show how you could combine the following items into a compression system:

• ALICE frame
  • HPG Tarahumara
  • HPG Compression Kit

In the process, you can see how you could use the Compression Kit and Tarahumara or Highlander to work with any external frame because the way you would put it together is the same in each case. There are a couple of things I would have done slightly differently with unlimited hardware choices, but I didn't want to use anything that didn't come with the above items, so I didn't. Here are the steps I followed:

• Took the shoulder straps off of the ALICE and ended up with a couple of long straps with metal buckles at the end
  • Took the shoulder harness off of the Tara and rigged it to the ALICE using the long straps. You'll have to look at the picture to see how I did it, but I ended up with shoulder lifters as well.
  • cannibalized two of the Compression Kit side straps. I used the strap part as lifter straps, and the G-hooks I removed on the bottom of the Tara
  • I unlaced the cinch cord on the bottom of the Tara, stuck the bottom tabs through slots on the G-hooks and relaced the cinch cord through the tabs above the G-hook slots.
  • Looped the remaining 4 side straps around the sides of the ALICE frame using the sewn in buckle ends. Look at the pictures for details on this.
  • Slotted the side straps into the corresponding tabs on the Tara.
  • Looped the two top straps around the top of the ALICE frame and slotted the plastic side release buckles into the top tabs on the Tara.
  • Fed the loops on the bottom sling through the slots in the bottom of the ALICE frame, went around the frame, and slipped the loops over the buckles sewn into the bottom sling.
  • Slipped the G-Hooks on the bottom of the Tara into the spots I wanted them on the bottom sling
  • Tightened everything up.

That covers it. Hopefully between the description and pictures it will all make sense.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/14/2012 5:31 AM

Evan,

How much larger would a Highlander be if set up similarly on the same frame?

Thanks,

1700shadow

New Post
4/14/2012 1:07 PM

Evan,

Outstanding,

That is exactly what I was looking for. Now I can use my Alice frame until you guys sort out your pack frame. With the standard shelf in place the Alice makes a great hauler of odd size objects. The ability to use it with the Tarahumara and Highlander is just icing on the cake. 

Brilliant !!!

LV

New Post
4/14/2012 1:28 PM

This diagram shows the relative sizes of frames and compression panels:

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/14/2012 5:57 PM

Hi Evan,

very good diagram. I´ll make some pics, when the C-kit is still here. It seams that the Highlander is the next "must have".

Christoph

New Post
4/15/2012 11:21 AM

Evan do you have the weight of the ALICE frame? 

New Post
4/15/2012 12:19 PM

I believe standard issue frame with shoulder straps, belt, and backpad should come in around 2.4 pounds.

New Post
4/16/2012 8:17 PM

LostViking wrote

I believe standard issue frame with shoulder straps, belt, and backpad should come in around 2.4 pounds.

Thanks LV.

This looks like it is exactly what I want for running up the mountains on fast day hunts to chase fall black bears.  I need the frame for carrying hide and meat out and the larger externals get hung up on the alders and devils club that I have to bust through while getting above treeline

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGTarahumara + Alice Frame + Compression KitTarahumara + Alice Frame + Compression Kit