Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPack board for Tarahumara?Pack board for Tarahumara?
Previous

Next
New Post
3/26/2012 3:44 PM

Has any one tried the Tarahumara with a shorter pack board/frame such as the Kifaru Omni-Yoke or one of the Down East Industries plastic Alice frames?   I'm seeing  a potential as a canoe portage pack, for hauling barrels or 2 duffles set horizontaly.  I have a 22" torso, so I think I can keep an shorter frame under shoulder height for portageing a canoe.   This is a frameless setup with duffles that is simular to what I'm envisioning:

www.bellcanoe.com/scripts/prodView.asp

New Post
3/26/2012 7:49 PM

I thought that the omni yoke was no longer in production, but found out this morning that it is. It's on the military accessories page. To me it seems like a perfect pairing with the Tarahumara. The Tara is 17" and the Omni is 19".

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/27/2012 1:46 AM

Hi,

I´ve paried my Tara with an omni yoke, it works well. Next level, I´ll change the shoulder straps into the HPG Harness. If it´s possible.

Christoph

New Post
3/27/2012 7:54 AM

I think I found a solution: 

Re: Just put a HPG shoulder harness on a Kifaru Spike Camp/Express 

I came across this hardware  at Milspec monkey:

LOWY USA
<www.lowyusa.com>
Lowy tossed me one of their latest harware pieces they call the Super Reducer. It is Black Steel at .090" thick and has slots for 2", 1.75", and 1" webbing. The original intent is a 3-Slot Reducer for weapons slings. The small slot is a bit bigger than 1" so even 1.25" web could work. The middle slot is 1.75" so it will work for 1.5" webbing and more importantly, all the mil-spec 1.75" webs like Type 8, 7, and 13 which really can spiff up a sling to mil-spec components. And the last slot is 2" for the 17337, mil-spec seat belt Type 24 or some other 2" webbing. It really gives lots of versatility for the slings that go from one size of webbing to another. If a large enough order is desired, custom colors can be done.

It seems that a set of these would make the HPG harness much more of a "universal" set up.

New Post
3/31/2012 1:14 PM

@ barkeater,

thanks man. That is a solution, but I don´t find this stuff in germany

@ Evan,

Are you selling this hard ware piece too?

Thanks Christoph

New Post
4/1/2012 9:40 AM

I just bit the bullet and ordered an Omni Yoke for my Tara.  Originally, I was going to try to pair the Omni with a Highlander but I've decided to try it with the Tara first.  I'd love to see any pics of the Tara on a Omni.   I plan to use two small MR Load Cells in between the frame and Tara for longer missions.

New Post
4/1/2012 1:43 PM

I´ll do the same. It´s a great pairing. Can you post some pics of the MR Load cells, I´ll take some havy duty drybags.

I´ll make some pis next weekend.

Christoph

New Post
4/4/2012 2:06 PM

I don't have a way to test it, but it looks like this is the way to put an HPG harness on an Omni-Yoke. At 19", you're not going to get any shoulder lift out of an omni-yoke, so I'd very much recommend the HPG harness for better load distribution.

A 1.5" ladder lock gives just enough to slip the existing plastic 3 bar through. That makes for a secure, low profile way to attach the 1.5" straps from an omni yoke. Should work for other 1.5" strap conversions as well.

I've got a few of these in foliage, and I'll work on stocking the other colors. If you're ordering a Shoulder Harness for an application where you need the two 1.5" buckles, let me know with a follow up email and I'll get you sorted out. info@hillpeoplgear.com.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/5/2012 3:48 PM

Hi Evan,

that´s a good solution. I´ll test it when the hardware is aviable in coyote or tan.

Thanks Christoph

New Post
6/22/2012 10:52 AM

Waldschrat wrote

Hi Evan,

that´s a good solution. I´ll test it when the hardware is aviable in coyote or tan.

Thanks Christoph

I just came accross this amazing product called "paint". I don't understand the science behind it, but it somehow alters how we interpret the visible light spectrum and changes the color of an object. Heres the wiki page for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint

New Post
6/23/2012 9:58 AM

Thanks snow ape,

realy good idea. But Evan send me some in tan.

I think also "paint" is amazing.

Thanks again.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPack board for Tarahumara?Pack board for Tarahumara?