Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHeavy Recon Kit BagHeavy Recon Kit Bag
Previous

Next
New Post
5/12/2015 6:20 AM

Greetings, I have just recieved my Heavy Recon Kit Bag and as has always been true with HPG, the bag is very well made and turn around and customer service was great. I have a Recon Kit Bag as well and I upgraded because I prefer the pocket lay out and arrangement on the new bag. However, I am on the fence about the MOLLE panels, both interior and exterior. The original Recon Kit Bag had the conventional nylon webbing bartacked MOLLE pattern. Pretty much guaranteed to be bomb proof and make you a little nuts when you have to move pockets around. The new Heavy Recon Kit Bag replaces the conventional MOLLE field with a single fabric panel with cuts made in the appropriate pattern to allow you to thread MOLLE accessories to it. I want to believe that this is a viable and rrugged design, but I'm having a lot of trouble convncing myself of that. The MOLLE panel as it exists on the Heavy Recon Kit Bag is only supported by the stitching around the periphary of the panel. Pouches attached to it will ( and do) tend to sag and pull away from the body of the bag. The MOLLE panel appears to be made of a lightwieght version of Hypalon? Rugged as this fabric is or appears to be, it is still fabric and making multiple incisions in it weakens it considerably. Now try to add a MOLLE pouch to it and the stresses it endures just attaching the pouch gave me pause as it appears that several slots were approaching failure and threatening to rip. They didn't but my faith in the design is not complete. I understand that making a MOLLE field in the more conventional pattern is more labor and cost intensive. Keeping the product within a certain price point is commendable and good business sense as is maximizing profit. However I question the longevity of the design and materials in this particular instance. This is a first for me in regard to Hill People Gear. The products I have purchased previously are products that I expect will either be buried with me or fought over by those named in my will. I am fairly certain tha the only thing that would break them is a bomb or a wood chipper. So I ask folks in this forum and the folks at HPG who post here, what is your experience with this particular design and materials? I will admit that until now I have never used a MOLLE panel of this configuration so I seek the counsel of those who have.

New Post
5/12/2015 8:08 AM

I too just received my heavy recon and I had a somewhat different experience . I have a knife sheath that has a belt clip that will also work with Molles , it is however a very tight fit . I installed the sheath on the front of the bag in a not so easy manner and I was very happy with how the Molles panel slots held up to the abuse . I personally like the panel as it is more stealthy a look and does not scream para military . I think weaving the attachment panel rather than a single attachment point will work very well .

"Wilderness itself is the basis of all our civilization. I wonder if we have enough reverence for life to concede to wilderness the right to live on?" - Theodore Roosevelt

New Post
5/12/2015 8:25 AM

Wawa - when First Spear first came out with this 6/12 PALS cut fabric we took a wait and see approach. Now that it has been in heavy use in multiple products by high end users for at least 3 years, there can be no doubt that it is up to the task. In First Spear products, it has been in continuous use by various U.S. SOCOM units and multiple friendly foreign gov’t militaries.  It’s also used in the standard carrier of choice by countless law enforcement agencies across the U.S and internationally.  It can’t sag any more than single layer fabric would sag if it had molle sewn to the front of it, and the pouches that get attached to it are actually held more securely as the laser cut grid is tighter and has more precise openings for weaving the pouch straps thru. Garland PD Swat (of recent fame) was a very early adopter of this fabric and has been using it for almost 5 years now with no problems.

If it fails, we'll replace it. I have no expectation whatsoever that it will come to that.

ETA - those aren't exactly incisions, they're laser cut slots. Cutting them with a laser welds and reinforces every one of those edges.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/12/2015 8:27 AM

You can't get much better than that ...

New Post
5/12/2015 8:38 AM

I wondered the same thing about 6/12 for a while as well. It is on several parts of my Aston House, and my Tara Insert. I went ahead and basically abused it for a while to test it out and pretty quickly made myself confident in it.  I imagine you'll start to feel better about it after using it more, but I can see what you mean about your initial concerns.

New Post
5/12/2015 5:27 PM

Thank you all for the replies. As I said, I am/was on the fence about the particular issue I brought up. I have no inclination to return the bag, just a ideation mark in my tiny brain about it. I do recognize the virtue of not having the thing scream PARAMILITARY and GUY WITH A GUN RIGHT HERE! I have plenty of faith in HPG and 1st Spear. I too will take a wait and see approach. Thanks for the feed back one and all!

New Post
5/12/2015 6:01 PM

There is a strip of 6/12 on the side panel of the Aston House. I have water bottle holders hanging on mine. I was doing a bit of an unplanned trail run the other day and tried to hook a turn around a tree a bit too fast and a bit too tired. One of the water bottles snagged the tree hard enough to spin me into the tree, knock me down, and make me feel really really stupid. I expected damage to the pack or the bottle holder, but can find none whatsoever. That sort of thing helps me feel all warm and fuzzy about it.

New Post
5/13/2015 2:58 PM

unplanned trail run in Montana = Bear attack . I'm with you WAWA no need to advertise weapons on board .

"Wilderness itself is the basis of all our civilization. I wonder if we have enough reverence for life to concede to wilderness the right to live on?" - Theodore Roosevelt

New Post
7/10/2016 7:32 AM

I received my HRKB this past month and enjoy it a lot. 

9.875/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q350s...

I am undecided on the splash shield over the gun side zipper.  Because it is sewn at it's ends it cannot simply be flipped over onto the snivel side and I'm undecided on whether it should cover the snivel pocket or if it should simply be removed entirely.

As it is now it just gets in the way of the gun zipper.  The temptation to cut it at the bases and flip it cleanly onto the snivel side is great indeed lol.

The only other thing I might like to see is a flap, sewn on three sides, at the top of the backside.  Just something to hook a couple of fingers to pick up the kit bag.

_

New Post
7/18/2016 11:33 PM

I'm on the waiting list for the next run of Heavy Recons.

However, what I'd really like to see? A Heavy Recon Snubby. All the same features, pockets, etc. shrunk down to Snubby size.

The Snubby holds my M&P Shield w/Raven vanguard so nicely that I really don't want to get anything bigger, but until I see a HRS produced, I'm SOL.

New Post
8/4/2016 8:00 PM

Has anyone attempted to bow hunt while using this kit bag? Im wondering if it gets in the way when drawing the bow. thanks!

New Post
8/5/2016 6:49 PM

ajheath82 wrote:
Has anyone attempted to bow hunt while using this kit bag? Im wondering if it gets in the way when drawing the bow. thanks!

For me it doesn't at all when drawing a compound.  I have to wear it a little lower when shooting a longbow or recurve. I prefer to wear it high and tight, but its not bothersome to lower it when shooting the trad bow.  

New Post
8/5/2016 7:21 PM

Dog Off Leash wrote:
I'm on the waiting list for the next run of Heavy Recons.

However, what I'd really like to see? A Heavy Recon Snubby. All the same features, pockets, etc. shrunk down to Snubby size.

The Snubby holds my M&P Shield w/Raven vanguard so nicely that I really don't want to get anything bigger, but until I see a HRS produced, I'm SOL.

Unless you are under 5ft and live in the Shire, the Heavy Recon KB is fine as is.

New Post
8/5/2016 8:26 PM

I'm shooting a 68", 50# longbow while wearing mine with no problems.

New Post
8/9/2016 12:19 PM

Awesome thank you! I ordered it in after reading the replies. Excited to get it dirty!

New Post
8/9/2016 12:20 PM

hell yea, thank you!

New Post
2/6/2017 11:07 AM

I ordered one this past Sat , can't wait to get it

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHeavy Recon Kit BagHeavy Recon Kit Bag