Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGRecon Kit bag Micro chest rigRecon Kit bag Micro chest rig
Previous

Next
New Post
12/13/2019 2:20 AM

Good morning, hope all is well.

I am busy setting up my Recon KB as a Micro Chest rig, what Im looking at on th outside is attached is:

• 2 x AR 15's mags
  • 1 or 2 x G19 mags
  • Knife
  • TQ
  • Inside will be Level 1 Equipage
  • Bleeder kit

Can you guys please share your setups and if possible what mag holsters you are using, my idea is to keep it as flat with as little print as possible.

I am looking at getting another KB to duplicate above, would you guys stay with the Recon or rather look at the Heavy?

Purpose is for living very remotely and isolated, having a SD system on hand with level 1 tools.

Thank you, blessed weekend to all.

New Post
12/13/2019 10:36 AM

If you want the smallest package possible then use the Blue Force Gear 10speeds. If not I use Tacos. At this point my Recon has three rifle mag pouches, a tq thing and 1 pistol mag pouch. I decided to run a 3rd rifle instead of another pistol, because if it is shooting time then rifle is probably more important. I just got in the BFG Hammock to move the TQ off the front. With AR15 magazines everthing fits alright with 308 it can get crowded.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/16/2019 2:37 AM

Thank you very much Scot, much appreciated.

I have a Recon currently setup very close to that, except I have 2 pistol mags mounted instead of a TQ, need to duplicate the set up now - would you have gone with the Recon or Heavy - Im not running out of space as I want to keep it light with limited profile, but will be there be advantages to getting a Heavy instead?

New Post
12/16/2019 11:01 AM

Depends how how much stuff you want in it. I have used both and as always the more weight you keep close to your chest the better you will be. That is why for my small rig I went with a Recon. I have pouches on front as described. Inside I have a HPG slot pocket survival kit, HPG blow out kit, pen and notepad, Surefire EP3s, a few pairs of foams, and that is about it. I can hang gloves from the bottom, and depending on what I am doing or temps a buff wear may go inside. For me it is what I wear in classes, and what I grab to have as a support kit for my rifle. That is in part why I use the universal pouches because I may be running 308 or AR mags on it. It also augments what I am already wearing, which includes the usual stuff. That is also why I opted for the spare rifle magazine instead of pistol, I already will likely have at least one pistol magazine on my belt.

If I was wanting the range finder, binos, etc... in the rig, I would either reconfigure front pouches or just run a Heavy Recon and make some decisions on what goes where.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/22/2020 12:04 PM

Has anyone tried re-purposing the pistol compartment of the Heavy Recon for carrying AR mags?

I'm currently looking at the Haley Strategic Micro Chest right, and I realized that it's ostensibly a HPG Kit bag but with the rifle mags stored close to the body (where an HPG Kit Bag would normally store a pistol). For situations where I'm carrying a pistol on the belt, it would be nice to be able to reconfigure the Heavy Recon to carry rifle mags closer to the body (where the weight carries better), while freeing up the exterior 6/12 panel for other tools, accessories, and lighter weight items that you need to keep handy.

I think this could be done with some kind of insert. See for example the Haley Strategic triple mag insert: https://haleystrategic.com/micro-556-triple-mag-insert-black. I'm not sure if the Haley Strategic inserts would fit in the Heavy Recon pistol compartment, and I don't think the pistol compartment has velcro on both front and back interior panels (which I think the Haley Strategic inserts require). Maybe someone knows of a different insert that would work.

New Post
6/22/2020 12:09 PM

Use Velcro tenspeeds from bfg and it works fine. Back in the day I did 2-3 classes with out any inserts just the magazines slipped in there. Never lost one.

New Post
6/22/2020 12:42 PM

Got it. I see that you mentioned BFG 10 speeds in a previous post but in my mind I was still thinking you were talking about carrying mags on the exterior of the Kit Bag. Not enough coffee this morning, I guess. My bad.

Thanks for the prompt feedback, and I'll looking into the 10 speeds.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGRecon Kit bag Micro chest rigRecon Kit bag Micro chest rig