Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindi setup help.Umlindi setup help.
Previous

Next
New Post
4/17/2018 1:29 AM

Quick question, and need some help. Upgrading my GR1 to most likely an Umlindi (still trying to decide between this setup or an Aston Backcountry or a MR 3DAP). Most of the time, the Umlindi will be enough space, but when I have the kids with me, I may need more room. So... If what i am looking at is correct, the Aston pocket mates nicely with the Umlindi, the Tara looks to be too small,correct? 

This will be for days wandering by myself (30% of the time), trips with the kids (50% of the time), and a few multiday mountain biking trips(20% of the time). Don't want anything too large as I have a few bike frame bags for my multi-day overnighters. 

Thanks for the help. 

New Post
4/17/2018 10:26 AM

The Aston Pocket works very nicely on the Umlindi. My general purpose back pack is an Umlindi with an Aston Pocket.  The pocket adds more organization than it does capacity, if that makes sense, but it is a worthy addition.

You said "the Aston pocket mates nicely with the Umlindi, the Tara looks to be too small,correct? "

I'm not sure if you were asking if the Aston Pocket mates with the Tara, or the Tara mates with the Umlindi, so I'll answer both.

The Tara mates very nicely with the Umlindi. I don't carry it that way frequently, but I have, and the two together can haul quite a bit of stuff. You just need to be careful not putting anything heavy in the Tara, as it can be awkard having weight way out there away from your back.

I've never mounted my Aston Pocket on my Tara, but I think it can technically be done. There may even be some pictures of people doing that on the Facebook group.

New Post
4/17/2018 10:56 AM

I personally don't recommend adding pockets to the Tarahumara. If you need more space then going to the Connor or Umlindi is a better choice from a load carriage standpoint. The following pockets fit on the Umlindi well: Aston, Pals, Tara, and Aston panel. The Connor is really to tall, to fit well. My personal favorite pocket is the Pals, as I find it gives me the most versatility with the least bulk as it compresses so well.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/17/2018 4:59 PM

Thanks for the help. I see where my question caused a little confusion. I was wondering what which would mate better with an Umlindi, the Tara pocket or the Aston pocket. I see the Aston is a better fit. Now just have to decide between an Umlindi with an Aston, or an Aston house. Ugh, I hate making these decisions. Thanks again everyone.

New Post
4/17/2018 5:39 PM

Sorry, one last question. If I were to purchase an Umlindi and a Connor pack, can the Connor pack be attached to an umlindi and used as an external pocket? That way, I have 3 packs to choose from, an Umlindi pack, a Connor pack, and an Umlindi with a Connor attached. Is that doable?

New Post
4/17/2018 6:00 PM

It will fit, but the Connor is taller then the Umlindi so it will stick up. If you always run a big stuff sack, jacket, etc... it works alright. If you want a three setup option the Tarahumara pack and Umlindi pack are your best options at this point.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/19/2018 1:19 AM

Thanks for the info. Your guys are very responsive, a rare thing nowadays! Anyway, I ended up ordering an Aston rather than the Umlindi. 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindi setup help.Umlindi setup help.