Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralFabric RecommendationFabric Recommendation
Previous

Next
New Post
4/19/2019 6:16 PM

So, I'm wanting to whip up some bomb-proof laundry bags.  Especially for travel, but also around the house.  I'm tired of laundry bags splitting.

I was thinking about doing them in 500d Cordura, but I figure that's overkill and that there is probably something cheaper and more lightweight that would work for a simple laundry bag. 

Give me some ideas on fabrics that's aren't expensive, but still going to last a really long time. 

New Post
4/20/2019 8:42 AM

Unless these bags are going to sit for periods in poorly vented damp/wet areas, light canvas in the form of painter's drop cloths work great for tough bags. Painter's canvas is relatively thin and light but tough and breathes well. The one thing you can't do with it is leave it wet and packed or it will mold. It can get wet and, as long as it is allowed to dry out, it can last for a long time. Easily washable too. I have bags made many years ago that are still going strong but some have finally worn out because of very hard use enclosing hard stuff.  If you look around at places like Home Depot or others you can find it cheap in varying sizes.

New Post
4/30/2019 9:49 AM

Yea, I thought about cotton canvas, that was my original thought...but I want to use this while traveling, and traveling long-term, small-load style, where I can hang-dry everything if I have to. Which is why I was thinking about Cordura, which is basically a synthetic canvas.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralFabric RecommendationFabric Recommendation