Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralBackcountry DeviceBackcountry Device
Previous

Next
New Post
3/13/2013 8:00 AM

Emergency Services Powered by GEOS

At the heart of the inReach safety and security services is the GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center (IERCC) in Houston. The IERCC is housed in what some call the "most secure data center in the world." IERCC IT systems are housed in an underground anti-nuclear bunker that was converted to a data center less than a decade ago. The facility has redundant electrical grids, internet fiber connectivity and is completely self-sufficient when the outside world goes away. The IERCC is staffed 24/7, 365 days per year with Watch Standers, SAR Mission Coordinators, and Duty Officers.
The above is from Delorme's site.  While speaking with their techs, they informed me that they do pass data to LEOSAR, GEOSAR, SARSAT network, in order to enable as swift a rescue as possible.  I originally contacted them because I wanted to ensure it could be set up as a closed system, like what I described previously, and wanted to ensure it could be effectively linked to existing DOD Personnel Recovery architectures in combat zones....which it can.  The 24/7 manned IERCC will link to all other SAR entities, where available for rapid response.  Since this device has already been successfully used in Afghanistan, Iraq, the Himalayas, Sahara, and elsewhere, I feel confident that it would work for any backcountry travel here in the US or abroad.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
3/13/2013 12:13 PM

Alpendrms, thanks for the preceding three posts. Very much in keeping with the thread, and it does answer my question. Previously I thought that you pretty much needed to pair a dedicated PLB on the SARSAT network for robustness with a second device and service to get 2-way communication. You're offering both research and real world experience that indicates the InReach satisfactorily provides both. Just to tie it back into the original post, last I checked the InReach smartphone tethering option was only available on the Android. That was a small part of what drove my choice of an Android device over an iOS device.

eta: I chose a datacenter in San Antonio for the hosting of the server that houses the hpg website because I think that area is a safer location than having a box sitting in a datacenter on either the east or west coast. Houston doesn't make me as happy as SA due to proximity to the Gulf of Mexico, but it ain't bad.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/13/2013 6:05 PM

Evan, see the below from the Delorme site.  InReach will pair with the PN-60W GPS (the version I have),  and the other version is good to go with all of these:

Device Compatibility
  • iPod touch® (3rd, 4th, and 5th generations)
  • iPhone® 5
  • iPhone 4S
  • iPhone 4
  • iPhone 3GS
  • iPad® (3rd generation)
  • iPad 2
  • iPad
  • iPad mini
  • Android phone
  • Android tablet

So, it's likely that it will pair with the Android-based phone you already purchased. Check http://www.inreachdelorme.com/about/ for more specific data.  Hope this helps you out.

Best Regards,

Ken

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
3/16/2013 8:28 AM

evanhill wrote

Flashman, the SON hub thing was a very enjoyable rabbit hole! I haven't used my bike for anything approaching an expedition for a handful of years now. A nice headlamp has served the purpose of night time lighting quite fine. However, if I start doing expedition style riding, I'll seriously consider that hub.

I`m quite attracted to the E-werk combo it offers, with the possibility of recharging batteries and such. I find self sustained solutions highly attractive.

Not that into exepediton cycling myself, have done a couple of 7 day off road/logging road trips very many moons ago  as well as high count weekend trips, all on a Peugot Tourer. Not fast and not very technical but higly enjoyable and opened up a lot of "in the deep forrest" fishing lakes. :-)

New Post
4/11/2013 3:30 PM

+1

I've been using the Delorme PN-60W & can add there's an aftermarket larger battery for it. Info: http://www.rechargeable-lithium-batteries.com/cabbat.html 

New Post
5/9/2013 5:01 AM

Just came across this. Crowdsourcing deal, but it seems interesting.
www.meetearl.com/

From the site:  

Android 4.1

Flexible 6" E-ink screen (1024x768)

Sunlight viewable with lunar lantern mode

Glove friendly IR touchscreen

Waterproof shell • Kickstand • Solar charging

i.MX 6 DualLight 1GHz Cortex A9

1GB ram

16GB memory + microSD • Wifi b/g/n

BT 4.0 • ANT+

NFC • FRS/GMRS/MURS

GPS + GLONASS

Accelerometer

Gyroscope

Magnetometer

Temperature

Barometer

Humidity

Anemometer

AM/FM/SW/LW

IR blaster

20+ hour battery

20" usb lanyard

303 grams (10.8 oz)

183mm x 121mm x 15mm (7.2" x 4.75" x 0.6")

All that seems to be missing is a Locator beacon (406Mhz) and a SATCOM link

New Post
5/13/2013 12:20 PM

Very cool looking device Exploriment. The DeLorme InReach is 8oz, so this is not a lot more. Like you say, it still needs those two functions to do everything.

An update on the DeLorme InReach -- I posted some ethical and procedural questions on this thread. Lots of good perspectives from well seasoned backcountry travelers:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid/679/forumid/23/threadid/5976/scope/posts/Default.aspx

Here's the "how does the InReach" work nuts and bolts:

• In stand alone mode, very robust device with useful indicator lights for when you have a satellite link, when a message has been received, when an SOS has been received, etc. Also good printed instructions on the outside of the device. Designed to be very self explanatory in use.
  • Tethering the InReach to my phone via bluetooth was initially problematic. The tech I talked to at InReach said that the HTC handsets are notoriously bad at bluetooth tethering. I don't know if this is true or not, but it was pretty clear that the tethering problem was on the phone side, not the InReach side. What it boiled down to was that the InReach was showing up on the list of bluetooth devices the phone could attach to, but it was showing up as a blank entry. While messing with it, I got the inspiration to click on the blank area that kind of looked like a result set and voila, the devices were tethered. After initial tethering, I haven't seen a single problem with bluetooth communication between the devices.
  • When tethered, it does work as advertised to send and receive custom messages. The app on the phone side gives more detail than the indicator lights on the InReach itself does, which is nice.
  • message to mobile phone number appears not to work. message to email address does. haven't tested InReach to InReach communication.
  • this brings us to my biggest gripe so far -- communication to and from the InReach for the person who doesn't have an InReach is done via the DeLorme website. This introduces quite a few dependencies that I'm not happy with. For example, if my wife needs to send a message to my InReach, she needs to be online, find the email I sent her with the link necessary to contact my InReach directly, click the link to go the DeLorme site, enter her message on the DeLorme site, and press send. Not good. At least outbound, the contents of the message that I sent shows up in its entirety in the email notification that she gets... if she is on email. InReach to mobile phone via SMS seems more direct and robust than having to go to a website. Perhaps I can get that working. Of course, there are times when cell networks are overwhelmed and internet via cable provider is a more robust way to get to the endpoint. A robust method would allow you to send a message via both endpoints and allow response via either one of those endpoints. The DeLorme website UI itself is also pretty cludgy to the point of being broken. It's bad enough that I considered doing documentation with screenshots to guide my wife through the process of sending a message to me if necessary. Again, not good. The good news is that all of these gripes are fixable by DeLorme on the system side without any upgrades necessary on the InReach device side.
  • In terms of battery life, I'm happy. Using my "turn on my mobile device only when needed" works in this instance too. The nightly procedure costs 2% battery life on my mobile and is:
    • turn on the InReach so it can start trying to get a satellite fix.
    • turn on the mobile device
    • turn on bluetooth on the mobile device
    • send a message via InReach. This automatically includes position information.
    • let the two of them sit for half an hour so the message can go and any incoming message can arrive
    • turn them off

So, overall I'm happy with the InReach. It works exactly as advertised in stand alone mode and mostly as advertised in tethered mode. I'd like to see DeLorme really think through their system for the use case of using the device for vital communications with people who don't also have InReach devices rather than a "look where I am" promotional gimmick that functions poorly for emergency use.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/17/2013 7:54 AM

A month after writing this & I had a reason to contact them. Fast response to my email, they solved my issue & I found out there's safety circuitry in the battery. Easy reset & back in action. Good company!

chrisspy wrote

+1

I've been using the Delorme PN-60W & can add there's an aftermarket larger battery for it. Info: http://www.rechargeable-lithium-batteries.com/cabbat.html 

New Post
5/23/2013 9:03 PM

I think this is the newer version of the Inreach mentioned earlier.

I think this one has merit. Simple.Two way comms and won't break the bank.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreachse.php

Introducing inReach SE

The satellite communicator that allows you to type, send and receive, track and SOS all from the palm of your hand.

From LOL to SOS and every message in between, DeLorme inReach SE makes any adventure better. With inReach SE, you can both send and receive text messages at the ends of the earth and everywhere in between with the handy color screen and virtual keyboard. When you're off the grid and out of cell phone range, you can quickly and easily share your journey with family and friends, let them ping and message you, and always receive a delivery confirmation that your message was sent -- all thanks to the Iridium satellite network with 100% global coverage. And in the event of an emergency, you can trigger an SOS, receive delivery confirmation, and then have an two-way text conversation with the search and rescue monitoring center until help arrives.
  • Share your location and trip details with MapShare, including tracking and GPS information.
  • Invite others to "ping" your inReach to see your location, activate tracking and exchange messages.
  • Load preset messages to your inReach.
  • Link to your social media accounts.
  • View all your previous trips and messages.
  • Manage your account and settings, including emergency contacts.
  • Update your inReach firmware
  • Color screen with predictive, virtual keyboard for standalone two-way messaging.
  • GPS accuracy to +/- 5 meters.
  • Waterproof/dustproof (IP67; standard submersion to 1 meter for 30 minutes).
  • Impact-resistant (Mil-STD-810F for vibration/shock).
  • 100 hours of battery life in 10-minute tracking mode with a clear view to the sky.

*Now accepting pre-orders.
Shipping is expected to begin May 31st.
Regular Price: $299.95

http://www.skookumbushtool.com | sig added by Evan. Go check out Rod's work.

New Post
2/23/2014 1:22 PM

Anyone,

Regarding android devices, any thoughts/input on the best mapping apps now that there have been several years of them?

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Excuse me while I whip this out.

New Post
3/5/2015 4:04 PM

JoeHayes wrote:

Anyone,

Regarding android devices, any thoughts/input on the best mapping apps now that there have been several years of them?

Hi Joe,
I know this is an old thread, but it's something I'm fairly familiar with and I think it's something worth keeping up to date on. I personally think that Locus Pro is by far the best GPS/Mapping app available for any platform.  I've used it extensively over the past few years and I think it's worth every penny spent.  They are also working on a GIS app and I'm sure it's going to be just as wonderful.

Here's a link:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=menion.android.locus.pro&hl=en

New Post
3/5/2015 5:37 PM

Tate,
Right on I will check it out. I figured I would hear crickets on this so no big deal. I wound up using the Backcountry Mapper Pro for Android. I'm actually taking a GIS class next term so I'm hoping there is some exposure I will get there that can enable me a bit more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Excuse me while I whip this out.

New Post
3/25/2015 12:18 PM

Here is something that might work in this role:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughpad/us/5-inch-tablet-fz-x1.asp

With that kind of weight and price it's not for everyone, but with hot swappable 6200mAh batteries i see this covering a lot of bases especially in colder climates.

New Post
5/10/2015 7:07 AM

I just got my first smart phone,its a android is the Backcountry Navigator Pro still the best app to get or is there something better out there?
Tim

New Post
5/12/2015 5:00 PM

It's still the one I use, but somewhere (this thread?) someone mentioned an app that might be better. Haven't tested to know.

New Post
5/12/2015 7:43 PM

Thank you Evan.I hope all is well with you and your family

Tim

New Post
5/14/2015 1:42 PM

Things are real good Tim. Although now that my oldest is 14 and the other two are close behind I'm mindful almost daily of the warming you gave me a few years ago about daughters fighting with their moms when they're teenagers.

New Post
5/14/2015 5:24 PM

It won't last for ever and ts great to have an adult
daughter, they just don't all reach adult hood at the same age

New Post
8/22/2016 2:53 PM

Just sent this thread to someone and realized that a very significant discovery isn't listed in it.

When I got my latest phone, I tried loading on all of the basemaps I like to have from DeLorme since I had that app anyway and they were free. I was astonished to find that I could load all of the basemap coverage I used to have using my old app on a fraction of the space using DeLorme. Took me a couple minutes to realize that DeLorme maps are vector based instead of raster based. You can tell by the way the zoom functions in addition to the file size. I kind of miss the look and history that goes along with the old raster images of USGS quads, but the vector is really better for small file size and also ability to zoom almost infinitely. It makes micro-course adjustments such as trying to discover an abandoned trail much easier. So... now my mapping app is the same as my InReach pairing app.

New Post
8/22/2016 4:09 PM

Do you have to keep your phone paired with the InReach while you use the app? Seems like two battery drains instead of one? What's the runtime on that?

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralBackcountry DeviceBackcountry Device