Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSORD-USA Smock and Field Pants in Kryptek HighlanderSORD-USA Smock and Field Pants in Kryptek Highlander
Previous

Next
New Post
6/25/2017 2:50 PM

I decided I wanted to try out some Kryptek Highlander camo for trips here in the USA, as well as maybe an appropriate environment overseas. Picked up a SORD-USA Smock and a pair of their Field Pants. The build quality put into these garments from this Australia-based (although actually made in Vietnam) company is pretty robust. This stuff ought to put up with some hard use. Heavy duty all the way, and I feel worth the price of them, which is competitive with most other high-end manufacturers. The zippers are full size YKK and both the SAS-style smock and the pants are made from the long-wearing NYCO blend. The sleeves roll up easily, and it is very comfortable. I bought a size Large and there is still a lot of room. It is sized to be worn overtop a PC or cold weather clothing. Big pit zips for mechanical venting and good attention to detail...like lining the hood with another layer of Kryptek Highlander so that a bright surface isn't showing when the hood is down, and also using 500D Cordura on the elbow patches. The smock is windproof, but not waterproof. It would keep out a slight drizzle, but could be made more water repellent by spraying it with Revivex or a similar treatment. I do wish it had a two-way main zipper, so that I could partially unzip from the bottom, but I fixed that by adding a small S-Biner to the waist drawcord, so that I could keep the smock completely unzipped, but still keep the front connected by clipping the S-Biner to the draw cord on the opposite side. I also think they could have used smaller zippers...but these ones will probably never, ever break. I changed out the big zipper pulls for some small cordage instead....quieter and less obtrusive. The pants are also very comfortable, with excellent pockets. They are really just about as nice as Crye models, for a lot less money. Figured I would share some pics of this stuff, as that I know others might be interested. Yes, Scot....us "Smock Jockies" have struck again!    I think Eric Graves of Soldier Systems Daily gave this company some love a few years back, as well. I bought this stuff from http://www.predatorbdu.com in Arizona, and they were a pretty dang good company to work with. This Smock, the Field Pants, and the Field Shirt are also available in a number of other camo patterns and solid colors.  Looking forward to getting some good use out of this kit. Cheers!

Really a well designed and nice fitting jacket. Always loved the SAS-style smocks...I'm a sucker for functional utilitarian gear.

Big Pit Zips....a must in warm weather.

Added an S-Biner to the waist level draw cord, so that I could connect the front of the smock without having to zip it up, if desired.

This is my 2nd pair of the SORD Field Pants...also have a pair of these pants and the Field Shirt in Coyote Tan. Very comfortable and super functional hard-wearing pants.

[/URL]

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/25/2017 3:31 PM

Nice! That Highlander pattern looks much more pronounced than in other Highlander garments that I've seen.

New Post
6/25/2017 3:45 PM

chorpie wrote:
Nice! That Highlander pattern looks much more pronounced than in other Highlander garments that I've seen.

I imagine that with a few washings the pattern and colors will soften a wee bit.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSORD-USA Smock and Field Pants in Kryptek HighlanderSORD-USA Smock and Field Pants in Kryptek Highlander