Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralOutdoor JobsOutdoor Jobs
Previous

Next
New Post
10/25/2016 7:24 AM

Howdy,

I will throw out the main idea of the question before I go into detail so I don't waste anyones time. I have been through a few jobs and schools now, but have not found anything that stuck with me. My main criteria, which I know is vague and almost pathetic, is I want to work outdoors. I am asking if there is anyone on the forums who may have a job in forestry, parks, etc. how they may have gotten there or any tips for starting out.

A bit of background..

I was born in California, and moved to Maine for my high school years. I shipped off to Bootcamp in Paris Island one month after I graduated High School. I was enlisted for four years in artillery, with one tour in Afghanistan. I was stationed in Hawaii and also went on a UDP to Japan for six months. I enjoyed the Marines but ultimately I knew it was not for me in the long run. I moved to Colorado (where I still am) for college at University of Northern Colorado. I attended one year with the major Recreation, Hospitality and Tourism Management. Again, not what I ended up wanting. After that first year I went to Colorado School of Trades (gunsmithing school). I graduated from there and had a blast, however, still did not appeal for a pursuit. I now work at a Sportsman's Warehouse as an archery department "Lead," which means doing a lot of manager duties without getting the manager pay. All I wanted you to get out of this was that I am open to a lot of change and am not afraid to try new things/places.

I am the first person in my family to get involved in firearms and hunting, so I never grew up with it. My stepdad is a great fisherman but I never enjoyed fishing until I caught my first trout on a dry fly in RMNP. 

So again back to why I wanted to make this post. I thoroughly enjoy my HPG original KB, and enjoy the other threads here on the forums. This forum seems to have many level headed people so I figured I'd give it a shot to see if anyone has any advice. I have thought about the Park Ranger idea but still don't know exactly what that entails. I do understand that having a degree drastically helps finding such jobs in forestry, but not sure which ones to pursue. As for me I thoroughly enjoy working alone, however easily work with others. I am not interested in being any such tour guide. I like behind the scenes and again, want it outside as much as possible. I would honestly like a job that involves a lot of physical labor also. I know forest fire fighting is not really a full time gig (I think?) but would like information on that if anyone is or has been involved. As I stated I do live in Colorado and mostly plan to stay here, so any state specific info would be awesome too. 

I guess it boils down to I love the outdoors. I want to be involved with it daily and help keep it enjoyable for mine and other future generations. I just have a hard time deciding what exactly I would want in that job line. So I try to ask as many people as I can who are there or have been there so I can narrow it down.

For anyone who replies, thank you. Any info is welcome even if only a sentence long.

New Post
10/25/2016 12:29 PM

Perhaps I'll have time later to chime in in more detail on what is actually a pretty frequent question around here. For the time being, subscribe to this email list and see if something turns up that inspires you:

http://www.nols.edu/alumni/contact/li...

I will point out that you already live in the west, which is usually half of what people are asking about and looking for. There are a fair number of wildland fire jobs that are full time these days, and the amount that you can make in a season (if you're only a seasonal) will nearly carry you through to the next year if you live frugally. That job will break your body down pretty quickly though if you don't move up the chain of command after a handful of years. Also really hard to have a normal social life when you're essentially deployed 4-5 months out of every year.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/25/2016 2:00 PM

Timber cruising, stand evaluation and surveying for timber or resource companies will get you outside for a lot of the time.

New Post
10/25/2016 4:37 PM

Thanks guys. I will look into both. Has anyone heard of the Park Ranger Technology course offered at Red Rocks Community College? wondering if it is worth the time or not.

New Post
10/25/2016 6:37 PM

With your USMC background and education, I would recommend the 'conservation officer' field. NM just posted openings for this job and while NM is not Colorado, its close:-)

New Post
10/25/2016 7:33 PM

S. Q. While reading your post my first thought was NOLS. Evan's post hit it on the head. Check it out, you will be surprised.

Good Luck Larry

New Post
10/26/2016 10:19 PM

Sasquatch,

I've been looking into the PRT program at RRCC myself, think for your situation with the USMC background it could be a good option. I haven't had the chance to talk to a counselor at the school about it yet, but my understanding is that it's basically to fill in gaps in your education to try and fast track you into it. Also the mil background will go a LONG way when you're applying for any jobs in the federal parks system and even at the state level. Vets always get bumped up the list. I don't have that advantage.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralOutdoor JobsOutdoor Jobs