Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralGood deal on Snow shoesGood deal on Snow shoes
Previous

Next
New Post
10/11/2016 3:48 PM

Hey I just thought I'd post this in case anyone was looking with winter coming on. USGI magnesium snow shoes with bindings for $27.00
These were fifty bucks a few days ago. My son has a pair and loves them. I just put an order in for a pair to use this winter when I'm walking my new Umlindi.
Hope it helps someone out.
Broadsword

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-magnesium-snowshoes-with-bindings?a=771260

New Post
10/11/2016 8:21 PM

Thanks! I've been eyeballing those for a while, even at the original price they where about the best deal around. Probably have to finally get a pair.

New Post
10/27/2016 11:28 AM

Picked my shoes up from the post office last week. The shoes are great but they do not have USGI bindings. At least they don't look like the bindings I've seen on issue shoes. I did find a set of issue bindings new in the plastic on Ebay for fourteen bucks so I snatched em up. Sportsmans guide looks to be sold out of these snow shoes now.
Broadsword

New Post
10/27/2016 3:59 PM

Those snowshoes are pretty good. I personally liked them better than the replacement MSR snowshoes, but I never spent a whole lot of time using either.

Also, in case you didnt know, you can scrape those magnesium snow shoes down and use the shavings for a fire starter.

New Post
10/27/2016 6:55 PM

Broadsword wrote:
Sportsmans guide looks to be sold out of these snow shoes now.

Well you scared me into finally ordering them, I'd had them sitting in my cart since the OP first mentioned the deal. So as of 10/27 they are still in stock.

I certainly don't need more snowshoes, but I'd always wondered if these were good enough to recommend for a budget option.

New Post
10/27/2016 9:39 PM

Fowler wrote:

I certainly don't need more snowshoes, but I'd always wondered if these were good enough to recommend for a budget option.

I'm not a snowshoe guru, but we had these shoes decades ago in AK in the infantry and they were tough as hell.  The paras weren't allowed to use any other shoe (they broke wooden shoes trying to jump them).  They didn't float as well as wooden 10x56's but are pretty much indestructable.  I remember them being slightly heavier than Tubbs, so a lot heavier than something like Northern Lites, but about as robust as it gets.

New Post
10/28/2016 11:47 AM

My frame of reference is almost entirely MSRs, both the plastic denalis and the metal framed lightnings. I'm trying to broaden my experience a bit so monster 10x50"+ wooden shoes are next on the list.

New Post
10/28/2016 12:04 PM

The magnesium shoes are tough enough to beat against a tree, if you step in water and ice them up.

New Post
10/30/2016 9:54 PM

I'm liking them so far although we haven't had any snow to speak of yet this year to try them out in. I'm looking forward to giving them a try. I got the USGI bindings in the mail Saturday so I think I'll try to get them installed tomorrow. I'm sure there's a video tutorial online somewhere to help get em on correctly.
Broadsword

New Post
11/2/2016 7:58 PM

Mine arrived yesterday, brand spankin' new, thanks again for the heads up!

I set one up with the included convoluted military binding and one up with a "lamp wick" biding to really broaden my experience. Also patiently waiting for more snow.

New Post
11/4/2016 8:10 AM

A pair of those i picked up came with a binding made from a rubber sheet, probably a truck inner tube. It was pretty basic with a hole in the front to catch your boot toe and a hole in the back to catch the heal and form a strap. It didn't fit my boots but seemed like you could pull out of it if you wanted to. I needed a more secure binding, as I probably am a 100 pounds over theses snowshoes float capacity and managed to posthole with them on in real powder.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralGood deal on Snow shoesGood deal on Snow shoes