Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralVortex 10 X 36 MinocularVortex 10 X 36 Minocular
Previous

Next
New Post
9/28/2016 8:36 AM

Figured I would pass this on for others here that might be interested in something like this.  Picked one of these up at Cabela's down here in Fort Worth for a nice sale price (plus 10% mil discount)...of course I'm going to come up with reasons to go to Cabela's while visiting the area!  I haven't been too impressed with a pair of Steiner mini binos that I bought last year....too tough to get them dialed in quickly and they always seem to end up with a double vision view.

This little Vortex mono has really nice glass and is easy to use.  It reaches out really well and has an excellent field of view.  Fits in the HPG padded bucket in my HRKB just right.  Between this and my Leupold Rangefinder...pretty good combo.  

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/v...

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
9/28/2016 8:40 AM

Cool shots of some HPG stuff at the bottom of that Vortex page...

Ken, is the clip removable?

New Post
9/28/2016 8:46 AM

El Mac wrote:
Cool shots of some HPG stuff at the bottom of that Vortex page...

Ken, is the clip removable?

Yep...the clip removes!  I didn't notice HPG stuff in the photos...which one is it?

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
9/28/2016 9:25 AM

Ah, wait....found it.  Good eye El Mac!  I think that fellow that posted the photo of the Tarahumara with his Vortex monocular is a friend of Evan & Scot's. 

New Post
9/28/2016 9:38 AM

Just FB friends, we don't know him other than that. Cool picture though.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
10/7/2016 6:22 AM

I've been eyeing this one for a while.
http://bushnell.com/hunting/spotting-scopes/legend-ultra-hd/monocular
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but the vortex looks like me a great alternative.
Thanks for the share

New Post
10/7/2016 9:10 AM

Ken you should just duct tape this monocular to you leupold! That way you'd have some range finding binos! We're walking around with some pretty decent computers up there, so I'm sure your brain elasticity would help you adjust to it after awhile! Might be a bit of a learning curve..hehe..

Just a reminder that Promotive/Expercity offers discounts on Vortex, Bushnell, etc. And a follow-up reminder that sometimes those guys have good deals, and sometimes they don't. Plus as part of the transition from Promotive -> Expercity, a lot of the deals have gotten worse IMO. Their Bushnell deal wasn't great to begin with, but now it seems mostly laughable. Still might be worth a peak.

I have a 6x Bushnell rangefinder that lives in an organizer bucket inside my heavy recon kit bag. I had been planning to buy it from Promotive, then stumbled onto an Amazon Gold Box deal of the day that was considerably better than the Promotive offering. I hadn't been quite ready to make the purchase, but I did and I'm glad I did.

Having said all of that, without hopefully breaking any of the Promotive terms, I will say that their Vortex deal is pretty substantial - if you're willing to watch a few videos and complete the "learning" segment. That's part of why I posted asking for feedback on their 1-6x rifle scopes awhile back. [I'm still hemming and hawing over that purchase btw, but leaning towards the new Primary Arms 1-8x adjustable 5.56/308 option. Also leaning towards selling my 22mags and sticking to either 22lr or 223 for something that I would currently select the 22mag for.]

TL;DR? I wouldn't recommend buying anything from Vortex without first checking discounted pricing via Promotive/Expercity, etc.

New Post
10/7/2016 10:04 AM

mc wrote:
Ken you should just duct tape this monocular to you leupold! That way you'd have some range finding binos! We're walking around with some pretty decent computers up there, so I'm sure your brain elasticity would help you adjust to it after awhile! Might be a bit of a learning curve..hehe..

Hmm....that actually isn't a bad idea!  I might monkey around with some type of an adapter to marry the Leupold RF and the Vortex.  Perhaps something as simple as a piece of rubber inner tube and a pair of hose clamps!  Ghetto?  Yep....but such a contraption might serve a function at some point!

New Post
10/7/2016 11:29 AM

alpendrms wrote: Perhaps something as simple as a piece of rubber inner tube and a pair of hose clamps!  Ghetto?  Yep....but such a contraption might serve a function at some point!

Now we're talking! Range finder in the kit bag, monocular + QD bino adapter in the lumbar pack..

I feel something big here. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of these turnin' up.

New Post
10/11/2016 1:49 PM

We also do the Solo Monocular, Recon Monocular and the new Recce Pro with the RT ranging reticles. If you know how to mil they are great tools to range targets as well as call dope in a very compact package. They are passive rangeing systems think milling reticle in a rifle scope. I have a bunch of them but my Recce Pro never leaves my side.

Love to be outside running bikes and guns... Director of Mil/LE Sales Vortex Optics

New Post
11/7/2016 9:37 PM

I bought one based on the fact that the recommendations here tend to be spot on. I love the monocular. I have hunted with it three times now. It was well worth the money. Thanks!

New Post
11/28/2016 5:44 PM

I have had a Vortex Solo 10-25 monocular for 3 months now. I sold my Leupold binoculars and the Kuiu bino case because it was just too much to carry with a recon kit bag too. I cannot speak to the 10-36 but for the price the 10-25 is awesome for scouting deer and for backpacking/hiking use. That retention clip on the 10-36 looks like a sweet option. I carry mine in my pocket or in my kit bag. A guy at work turned me onto the monocular and I am glad he did. 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralVortex 10 X 36 MinocularVortex 10 X 36 Minocular