Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralQuilts?Quilts?
Previous

Next
New Post
9/1/2016 9:35 PM

Who's using a quilt? Which one? Do you like it ? What pad?

New Post
9/2/2016 10:22 AM

Other than a Serape over my sleeping bag, no. But I am intrigued by the Big Agnes line up of sleeping bags with no bottom insulation and a pad sleeve. Seems to be the best of both the quilt and sleeping bag designs. I'd love to hear from anyone using one of those setups. Particularly if you went to that from a traditional sleeping bag.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
9/2/2016 10:25 AM

I often use my Mountain Serape as a quilt.

If i don't need something as warm as the MS, I use a Snugpak Jungle Blanket. They are great for the money, warmer and more compressible than a USGI poncho liner, although you cannot tie them into a poncho. OTH, one side is water and wind resistant. In the included stuff sack, the Jungle Blanket compacts down to a little larger than a 32 oz. Nalgene bottle.

When sleeping on the ground I use a Big Agnes insulated air mattress. I tried a Klymit Static V insulated air mattress but it's too thin for me, as a side sleeper. If I'm truck camping and brought my cot, I use a Thermarest Ridge Rest on top of the cot for a little padding and more importantly, insulation. In cold weather, I put a surplus wool blanket on top of the Ridge Rest for a little more insulation and it also helps to manage moisture.

Dave Markowitz

New Post
9/2/2016 10:13 PM

I've never like mummy bags much so quilts have been right up my alley. If the temps won't get below say 45 deg F then I'll use a lightweight synthetic quilt from Mountain Laurel Designs. If the night time low is going to get colder, I'll use my down 20 degree quilt from Zpacks. I always travel with my Exped Synmat Hyperlite. I know some folks have had delamination issues with Exped mats, but mine has given me many nights of good service. Really though, you can't go wrong with a Therm-A-Rest either.

New Post
9/3/2016 6:09 AM

Ed C wrote:
Who's using a quilt? Which one? Do you like it ? What pad?

I never really liked sleeping bags. I get too sweaty all bundled up so I have been using some type of quilt for a very long time. I use my HPG Serape in warmer weather and add a Enlightened Equipment 20 degree quilt when it gets colder. I use the serape as extra insulation when needed too. I use a Thermarest Xlite sleeping pad.

New Post
9/4/2016 5:44 AM

I've only used a quilt twice, an Englightened Equipment synthetic with a Thermarest Xlite pad, but I really liked it. I could roll and turn without getting all twisted up like in a traditional bag.

New Post
9/4/2016 8:11 PM

I've used sleeping bags my whole life. Even after I switched to mostly hammocking, it's been with a bag to save money. It certainly wasn't comfortable as I'm a side sleeper and turn frequently. This summer I spent a week under a Snugpak Jungle Blanket and it was so much better. I'll be investing in more quilts.

New Post
9/4/2016 9:05 PM

I've been using Jack's R Better No Snivelers for about 7-8 years.  Initially in a Hennessy Hammock, and later on the ground.  When I "went to ground", I bought the wider JRB Sierra Sniveler.  Going to a quilt actually only saves about six ounces over a similarly constructed sleeping bag.  You HAVE to add some serious head insulation to actually use a 20F rated quilt in 20F temps.  A vest with a hood on it is THE way to go IMO.  I have a Golite vest that I sewed omni-tape to the collar.  The JRB Down Hood comes with omni-tape, so I have a removeable hood for the vest.  The JRB Hood lets me sleep to the rated temp, and the vest with long johns will push the temp another 10F  or so lower.

I see a quilt as useful down to 20-25F or so.  Below that I want a bag, like my overstuffed Winter Wren.

New Post
9/6/2016 3:20 PM

I run a "kick ass quilt" from Arrow head Equipment on both under quilt and top quilt. Their made with Apex Climashield. I've gone to ground with them multiple times. Combined they are heavier than a comparably rated sleeping bag. However I have taken the three season rated to 25F, down below zero several times. They don't have the pad straps and all installed, but I bet the mfg would do it when you order. FWIW I have had good luck with them, and I am HARD on equipment.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/c3/KAQ_Synthetic_Quilts.html

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralQuilts?Quilts?