Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDIY Protective Compression Shroud (PCS) For Use With 915, 812, & 717 HPG Stuff SacksDIY Protective Compression Shroud (PCS) For Use With 915, 812, & 717 HPG Stuff Sacks
Previous

Next
New Post
6/29/2016 6:40 PM

evanhill wrote:
alpendrms wrote:

Plus...sometimes I really enjoy coming up with my own one-off custom pieces.

Oh yeah, definitely a cool item. Just made me think we should be making tougher stuff sack options so you didn't have to work around the limitations of the silnylon ones.

Well Heck, Evan....most of the time, the silnylon ones are just fine!  I use them constantly in my travels.  I think I take two or three on about every trip.  I love the lightweight and simplicity of them.  They scrunch down nice whether on top of a pack or inside of one, too.  It's just for these rough vegetation-choked places I've ended up in....just needed something to protect the sack and its contents.  That's also why I had other uses in mind for the Hypalon creations....to justify the added weight.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/3/2016 8:45 AM

Alpendrms, It seems like you where after a protective ground sheet a while back. Any thoughts on covering both purposes with one item?

New Post
7/3/2016 9:07 AM

bark-eater wrote:
Alpendrms, It seems like you where after a protective ground sheet a while back. Any thoughts on covering both purposes with one item?

Actually, I made two non-slip protective ground sheets out of the same Hypalon a while back.  I made one just big enough to go underneath my Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo tent, and another that is slightly bigger for use during winter inside my SO-6 Tipi.  I made the larger one in a way so that I can also use it as a waterproof cover for the contents of my roll-up pulk for when I'm pulling loads into a camp on skis.  I do plan to take the smaller ground sheet to Africa.  

Yes, you are absolutely right!  The ground sheet could very likely do double-duty as the protective shroud for my sleep system and that's a good idea, Bark-eater!  I may use it in that capacity at some point.  However, for the Africa trip, I plan to use the ground sheet strapped to the bottom of my pack, protecting the bottom of the pack and holding some other items I'll have out in the bush.  The shroud will ride on top of the pack with my sleep system.  I also designed the ground sheets so that they can also be used as improvised litters in a medical emergency.  I did post photos of one of the ground sheets a while back somewhere here in the General section.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDIY Protective Compression Shroud (PCS) For Use With 915, 812, & 717 HPG Stuff SacksDIY Protective Compression Shroud (PCS) For Use With 915, 812, & 717 HPG Stuff Sacks