Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDIY Protective Compression Shroud (PCS) For Use With 915, 812, & 717 HPG Stuff SacksDIY Protective Compression Shroud (PCS) For Use With 915, 812, & 717 HPG Stuff Sacks
Previous

Next
New Post
6/25/2016 12:21 PM

Based on recent travels to thickly vegetated environments encountered during my overseas trips, and also a recent email conversation with a gent that deals with similar foliage in Alaska, I decided to fabricate what I am calling a Protective Compression Shroud or "PCS", for use overtop an HPG Stuff Sack in areas that have tree branches and bushes that would likely tear up the silnylon HPG Stuff Sacks.  I have return trips coming up to the jungle in Peru and the Bushveld of South Africa.  One is thick with rough jungle vegetation, and the other with thorny acacia trees.  Like most of the things I end up MacGyvering, I wanted it to have one or two other uses, for versatility's sake.  

I already had a Palspocket that I managed to break the zipper on, so I cut it apart to be able to make use of the 6/12 Pals panel on it, and also provide a base surface to add a section of Hypalon I had on hand.  It turned out pretty decent.  However, looking at it now that it's finished, I think I might have changed the way I shaped the Hypalon "wings" on it to allow for a bit better coverage over a fully stuffed 915.  As it stands, I am certain I'll be able to make this work pretty well for protecting the stuff sack and its contents on rough terrain treks.  Besides its primary role, I can also use it as a traditional compression panel on a pack with the 6/12 grid as spots for add-on pouches, and also as a sit pad...especially if I slide a cut piece of foam pad behind the 6/12 panel, where the Hypalon wings fold in, when they aren't in use.  In the photos below, I have a fully stuffed 915 that has a sleeping bag and Mountain Serape inside.  With a less full 915 or with one of the smaller HPG sacks, it will protect a lot more of the silnylon.  In the photos, I have it attached to my C20M, but it can work on an Umlindi, Ute, or qui-Ya, as well....although needing to add still more capacity on top of the big bear qui-Ya is not very likely.  The Hypalon feels grippy enough to where the straps will hold their place on it, too.

Hope this helps some others out there that might be faced with similar backcountry scratchy foliage issues.  As always, questions and comments are welcome!

Cheers!

Ken sends.

I used a single strap I had on hand with a G-Hook to allow me to cinch everything in tight and draw the wings together underneath.

With the wings folded in behind the 6/12 grid, I can use it as a compression panel on a pack and add pouches if desired.

With a small foam pad slid in between the 6/12 grid and the folded in wings, it can become a nice sit pad.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/25/2016 7:12 PM

Hi alpendrms.

Some general comments. First I like this latest creation of yours, and thanks for sharing. My first impression, this cover would be very handy in the winter. Lots of times in the winter I have to throw my SAR pack in the back of a ATV. Moisture finds it way when a pack is laying down or upside down or.... but usually the pack is ok when humping it. Snow blows in and around. Second, those "holders" of the straps on top of the cover, the ones that are taking care of the loose strap ends with the loop of stretch cord. Where did they come from? I want some of those also. Third, besides adding stability what (if anything) purpose could be made of the 6/12 grid. Great idea, better then a garbage sack. This will take some abuse for sure.

Thanks for post your handy work. Larry

New Post
6/25/2016 7:20 PM

Pretty slick! We can't run the silnylon stuff sacks externally off trail here either. As always nice work,

New Post
6/25/2016 7:30 PM

Boy Wonder wrote:
Hi alpendrms.

Some general comments. First I like this latest creation of yours, and thanks for sharing. My first impression, this cover would be very handy in the winter. Lots of times in the winter I have to throw my SAR pack in the back of a ATV. Moisture finds it way when a pack is laying down or upside down or.... but usually the pack is ok when humping it. Snow blows in and around. Second, those "holders" of the straps on top of the cover, the ones that are taking care of the loose strap ends with the loop of stretch cord. Where did they come from? I want some of those also. Third, besides adding stability what (if anything) purpose could be made of the 6/12 grid. Great idea, better then a garbage sack. This will take some abuse for sure.

Thanks for post your handy work. Larry

Thanks!  The loose strap holders are called ITW Web Dominators.  Here's a link: http://www.tacticaltailor.com/webdomi...  They do add a bit of bulk, but for certain applications, they are very helpful.  When the Compression Shroud is used in a different mode, as in a compression panel on the back of my pack (just like any of HPG's compression panels...the Palspocket, Tarapocket, or Connor.....then pouches could be attached to the outside...like an IFAK or survival kit.  Or, even just as a good spot to attach shock cord for a quick spot to lash down a jacket, etc.  In the case of what I'm describing, the panel would be attached at the back of a pack in the manner shown in the second to last photo.  If you built your own and didn't envision ever wanting to use it for anything other than a protective shroud for your sylnylon stuff sack, then you could forego using the 6/12 section all together, and simply cut a piece of Hypalon to the shape you prefer, sew on a strap to run from side to side on the sack, and then call it done.  I may actually make another one that is more simple in construction, as that I still have plenty of spare Hypalon to use and another strap, as well.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/25/2016 7:34 PM

OldFart wrote:
Pretty slick! We can't run the silnylon stuff sacks externally off trail here either. As always nice work,

Many thanks!  Yep....fashioning one of your own wouldn't be too tough.  I bought the mil-spec Hypalon off of eBay for pretty cheap.  You can buy it by the yard: http://www.ebay.com/itm/16oz-Coyote-B...  If you have some of this stuff, a Speedy Stitcher, and some spare straps, you could rig one together in a couple hours or so.

New Post
6/25/2016 8:16 PM

Ok alpendrms, I have ordered a hand full of the ITW Web Dominators and I'm going to e-bay next and order some Hypalon. Thanks again for sharing. HPG sells those 6/12 panels, I think there was three different ones on the Product page. I will think about which one will work for me and order one. I didn't read carefully your first post or I wouldn't have had to ask what you had in mind for the 6/12 panel. Thanks. Larry

New Post
6/25/2016 8:35 PM

Boy Wonder wrote:
Ok alpendrms, I have ordered a hand full of the ITW Web Dominators and I'm going to e-bay next and order some Hypalon. Thanks again for sharing. HPG sells those 6/12 panels, I think there was three different ones on the Product page. I will think about which one will work for me and order one. I didn't read carefully your first post or I wouldn't have had to ask what you had in mind for the 6/12 panel. Thanks. Larry

No worries.  Bear in mind, Larry.....the 6/12 panels that HPG has listed on the product page (i.e.- the Tarainsert and Astoninsert) are not what I used for mine.  I used a Palspocket (also on the product page) that already had a broken zipper....that's why I used it and cut it apart.  I am not sure if the Tarainsert or Astoninsert would be the best thing to use, because those both have a stiff plastic sheet inside them.  Just make sure you are getting the right things for your own purposes.  I'd hate for you to buy a Tara or Astoninsert and not have it turn out like you want it to.   

New Post
6/25/2016 10:23 PM

I think a Kifaru Pod would serve a similar purpose.

New Post
6/26/2016 6:50 AM

Take-a-knee wrote:
I think a Kifaru Pod would serve a similar purpose.

Yeah...I looked at those and also even considered just using a Granite Tactical Gear zippered pouch, but I wanted something lighter, just as tough (or tougher), and multifunctional.  For times when I'm not worried about thorny branches, I can either leave it at home or use it for a different role.  Plus, I really don't want to use Kifaru stuff for personal loyalty reasons.

New Post
6/26/2016 7:55 AM

alpendrms wrote:
OldFart wrote:

Many thanks!  Yep....fashioning one of your own wouldn't be too tough.  I bought the mil-spec Hypalon off of eBay for pretty cheap.  You can buy it by the yard: http://www.ebay.com/itm/16oz-Coyote-B...  If you have some of this stuff, a Speedy Stitcher, and some spare straps, you could rig one together in a couple hours or so.

I may have to give it a go. The hypalon could probably withstand the gorilla fingers I was issued.

New Post
6/26/2016 2:52 PM

I made a dot-2 version today using only Hypalon and some straps.  I think I like this one even better.  Much more coverage on a fully stuffed 915.  The overall dimensions are 31" x 21".

New Post
6/26/2016 3:22 PM

Very Nice! Not to be a gram weenie or anything but what's it weigh?

New Post
6/26/2016 3:30 PM

OldFart wrote:

I have no idea.  I'll get back to you once I scare up my luggage scale.

New Post
6/26/2016 3:37 PM

alpendrms wrote:
OldFart wrote:

I have no idea.  I'll get back to you once I scare up my luggage scale.

My luggage scale registered it at 0.9 lbs (14.4 ounces).  I'm not sure how accurate that is....I had to kind of jostle it around a little to even get a reading.  I think it actually weighs significantly less than that.

New Post
6/26/2016 5:35 PM

alpendrms wrote:

Plus, I really don't want to use Kifaru stuff for personal loyalty reasons.

Good on ya brother!!!!!!

New Post
6/26/2016 8:45 PM

alpendrums, thanks for sharing. Very cool. And you are always looking to have several uses for your creations---Dot-2, I see a pillow.

New Post
6/27/2016 7:48 AM

Glad to help!  All about spreading knowledge among our backcountry folk here on the HPG forum!  I'm also going to take a close look to see if I could make effective use of it in an improvised medical role, a possible snow anchor, and possibly as a long distance shooting aid.  I have a couple ideas for those applications bouncing around my brain.

New Post
6/29/2016 2:50 PM

Is there nobody making a heavy duty stuff sack for those kinds of environs? Maybe 500d or 1000d? Hypalon is surprisingly light for how tough it is, but doggone expensive.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
6/29/2016 3:46 PM

I don't know of anyone making a really strong and tough one out of Cordura....but the mil-spec Hypalon I bought off of eBay isn't that awful bad price-wise.  $20 per yard, and it is ~60" wide.  I've made a bunch of things out of the sections I've purchased.  When I bought it from NC, shipping cost wasn't too bad either.  Plus...sometimes I really enjoy coming up with my own one-off custom pieces.

New Post
6/29/2016 5:01 PM

alpendrms wrote:

Plus...sometimes I really enjoy coming up with my own one-off custom pieces.

Oh yeah, definitely a cool item. Just made me think we should be making tougher stuff sack options so you didn't have to work around the limitations of the silnylon ones.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDIY Protective Compression Shroud (PCS) For Use With 915, 812, & 717 HPG Stuff SacksDIY Protective Compression Shroud (PCS) For Use With 915, 812, & 717 HPG Stuff Sacks