Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralmy new Trangiamy new Trangia
Previous

Next
New Post
6/12/2016 5:57 PM

I was inspried by Evan's youtube video on the trangia burnerso I ordered on through campsaver.com.  Got a deal on it and the shipping was quick.  BUT, it seems to be leaking from under the crimp where the top and bottom are joined together. anyone else had this problem with their trangia before? I plan to call campsaver tomorrow. 

New Post
6/12/2016 6:42 PM

trapperjay wrote:

I was inspried by Evan's youtube video on the trangia burnerso I ordered on through campsaver.com.  Got a deal on it and the shipping was quick.  BUT, it seems to be leaking from under the crimp where the top and bottom are joined together. anyone else had this problem with their trangia before? I plan to call campsaver tomorrow. 

No, can't say that I have.  It sounds like you may have gotten a lemon.  Sorry for that and I hope Capsaver gets you sorted out quickly.  The two I have...one Trangia and one Solostove version...both work great.  Haven't had any glitches out of either one.  The only thing I had heard of before was the rubber O-ring seal for the lid needing replaced periodically.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/12/2016 6:59 PM

Thank you. I was very much impressed with it otherwise- 2 cups of water was boiling at around 8 minutes. Only thing I gotta get dialed in (aside from getting one that doesn't leak) is the windscreen. I used alum flashing and hardware cloth for a stand but I really want to abandon the hardware cloth. Otherwise, great system!

New Post
6/12/2016 7:08 PM

Yeah...that aluminum won't put up with the heat for very long.  That's one of the reasons I picked up a Solostove.  All self contained and improves the performance of the alcohol burner.  Evan has a pretty cool windscreen and stand set-up that all fits inside his GSI Outdoors Minimalist Cup.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/12/2016 7:23 PM

hmmm, just looked the solostove up. pretty nice deal there. do you need a separate windscreen with the solo?

New Post
6/12/2016 8:11 PM

trapperjay wrote:
hmmm, just looked the solostove up. pretty nice deal there. do you need a separate windscreen with the solo?

Actually, no...the windscreen is integral as part of the stove.  Your Trangia would fit right in it.

New Post
6/12/2016 8:32 PM

Alright. That's a spendy setup if I get the pot w/ it. But man that's nice and pretty much hassle free. Hmmmm

New Post
6/12/2016 8:39 PM

trapperjay wrote:
Alright. That's a spendy setup if I get the pot w/ it. But man that's nice and pretty much hassle free. Hmmmm

Yeah...it is kinda pricey.  That's true.  I reckon it wouldn't be too tough to get hold of some stainless steel and fabricate one of your own for much less.  That's pretty much what Evan & Scot did.  I may actually build one out of a spare piece of stovepipe that I cut shorter for a DIY tent stove.  Here's a link to options for making your own.  The photo in the thread shows one that appears very simple, but ought be be effective.  http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.ph...

New Post
6/12/2016 11:12 PM

The Emberlit Fireant has slots to hold a Trangia in addition to being a wood burning stove. The stainless version is $40 and the titanium version is $70.  It also comes with a little plate in case you want to burn esbit fuel tablets

I use the full size one and love it. I have the Ti Fireant as well, but haven't had a chance to get into the woods since I got it (and the trangia) so I have only played with it in my back yard.

New Post
6/13/2016 6:32 PM

The Vargo Triad burner ( think Ti snuff can with jets) will fit down inside the Emberlit fire ant as well,resting on the shelf meant for an esbit tab. makes a decent wind screen and allows you to use as any cooking vessel you like. I use the dog snot out of mine! flat folding almost weightless and will fit in a canteen carrier along with everything else.

New Post
6/13/2016 6:54 PM

OldFart wrote:
The Vargo Triad burner ( think Ti snuff can with jets) will fit down inside the Emberlit fire ant as well,resting on the shelf meant for an esbit tab. makes a decent wind screen and allows you to use as any cooking vessel you like. I use the dog snot out of mine! flat folding almost weightless and will fit in a canteen carrier along with everything else.

That sounds like some good kit.  I might check into that one!  Thanks for the tip.

New Post
6/13/2016 8:35 PM

Well, I gotta admit, the more I look at the fireant and solostove, the less I like the idea of building my own. XD

I don't want to buy another pot so...with that in mind, which one is big enough to hold the stanley safely? I don't recall seeing dimensions of the solo or esbit???

New Post
6/13/2016 8:53 PM

I have two each of the consumer Trangias and two of the larger ones that come with the Swedish mess kits (made by Svea). THey occasionally leak due to a bad gasket or a ding in the mating surfaces between the screw-on lid and the body. I tried using a nitrile gasket on one of my military ones that dribbles a little, but the original gasket is flat not round in cross section. Yours may have skipped QC  :(

"Law is error, you see. It's an attempt to write down a lot of things that everyone ought to know anyway" ~~~ Freeman ibn Solomon - The Gone-Away World (Nick Harkaway)

New Post
6/14/2016 8:30 PM

Well, I'm pleased to say that I cannot replicate the leaking issue I was having. Maybe since burning it for a while and letting it rest, the gasket, etc. has sealed itself? I don't know...I've seen some negative reviews for using the trangia with the fire ant.

What about the solo stove and trangia burner alpendrms, any problems there? I'm not looking for the quickest route to getting the cooking set complete (but I want it efficient). lol

New Post
6/14/2016 9:09 PM

trapperjay wrote:
Well, I'm pleased to say that I cannot replicate the leaking issue I was having. Maybe since burning it for a while and letting it rest, the gasket, etc. has sealed itself? I don't know...I've seen some negative reviews for using the trangia with the fire ant.

What about the solo stove and trangia burner alpendrms, any problems there? I'm not looking for the quickest route to getting the cooking set complete (but I want it efficient). lol

Zero problems using the alcohol burner with the Solostove.  The one available from Solostove is an exact replica of the Trangia.  I have that one, but I also have a Trangia and have used that in the Solostove, as well.  When it really gets going in there, the gasifier effect of the Solostove even helps the alcohol burner perform better.

New Post
6/15/2016 6:44 PM

My wife says she'll buy me a stove for father's day. Nice. :)

New Post
6/15/2016 6:51 PM

trapperjay wrote:

Sweet!  She must be a great gal!

New Post
6/15/2016 7:16 PM

alpendrms wrote:
trapperjay wrote:

Sweet!  She must be a great gal!

yeah, she's great!  really considering the solostove so one more question . . . no windscreen necessary, right?

New Post
6/15/2016 8:36 PM

alpendrms wrote:
Zero problems using the alcohol burner with the Solostove.  The one available from Solostove is an exact replica of the Trangia.  I have that one, but I also have a Trangia and have used that in the Solostove, as well.  When it really gets going in there, the gasifier effect of the Solostove even helps the alcohol burner perform better.

Which do you prefer, alpendrms, the Trangia or Solostove alcohol burner? I was all set to order the Trangia and then started following this thread. Now I'm not so sure. Are either of them American made?

Thanks.

New Post
6/17/2016 11:15 AM

Emberlit is doing a 25% off sale for Father's Day weekend. Promo code FATHER25

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralmy new Trangiamy new Trangia