Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralNeed new backpacking stoveNeed new backpacking stove
Previous

Next
New Post
5/24/2016 8:32 PM

My 40 plus year old Primus Grasshopper stove died on me this spring. It belonged to my dad before it became mine and has been all over the continent with me. I was unhappy but not surprised when I looked to replace it, that the Grasshopper isn't made anymore. So now I'm on the hunt for something similar.

What I liked about the Grasshopper was its simplicity, its ruggedness, its compactness, and the fact that I could use any of the various sized propane bottles sold in stores to fuel it.

What are some of your suggestions as a replacement?

PS

Most of my trips now a days I use my Littlbug, but there are times when that won't do and it's then I need a propane stove.

Thanks.

New Post
5/24/2016 9:50 PM

Do you actually cook with the stove, or do you just heat water? If it's the latter, then Jetboil or MSR Windboiler all the way

New Post
5/25/2016 7:38 AM

90% of the time is just boiling water.

New Post
5/25/2016 8:39 AM

I’ve run just about every type of stove on the market in some type or another.

Isobutanes – MSR reactor and Soto windmaster, and MSR micro rocket

• The MSR reactor I have has the 1L boiling cup. For just boiling water nothing comes close to the reactor, plus it’s far sturdier than the windboiler and only slightly heavier. If all you are ever going to do is boil water, then I would definitely look at this one. Yes, you can save weight using a Jetboil or a MSR windboiler but the build quality isn’t even close IMO. The Reactor does not come with a piezoelectric igniter, for me this is a plus, I rather use a spark type fire starter or bic lighter they just simply last longer and are easier to replace. The biggest downside for me is always having ¼ empty cans lying around and having to throw the can in my sleeping bag with me at night when I am winter camping or above 13,000 ft. I would not go any larger than the 1L cup for just boiling water; I wish MSR would make a smaller cup for the reactor. You cannot simmer anything with the reactor; it either runs full blast or doesn’t run at all. I use this one proably the second most, only when I carry dehydrated meals.

• I use a 1.3L Toaks Titanium cup with the Soto head, this makes for an extremely light weight setup. Even though the Soto is supposed to be good in the wind, it doesn’t perform near as good as the MSR. Also, it does have a piezoelectric igniter than works maybe one out of every ten tries. If weight is your only concern then it’s going to be hard to beat this setup. All then negatives of carrying isobutene can apply to this stove also. This one is going to get sold.
• I haven’t used the micro rocket very much, but so far feel it’s probably slightly behind the Soto Windmaster. It doesn’t have a piezoelectric igniter built in, but does require one to get it started. The nicest thing about this stove is the size of it, it’s extremely small. Haven’t used this one enough to decide if I like it or not.

• I’ve also used a jetboil but have had problems with the piezoelectric igniter with this stove also. I personally feel the MSR reactor is in a class all to its self in the stove/cookpot system. I sell the Jetboils off pretty much after trying them once or twice, for me anyway they don’t really offer anything that the reactor does.

Multi-fuel

• I have a Primus Omni-lite TI that I use for a multi-fuel stove. 99% of the time I run this stove with white gas. I use a 1.3 L Primus ETA Pot with this stove. Boil times are very good with this setup, but I can simmer with it to be able to cook also. It is nice to be able to refill bottles and to buy different size bottles to control weight depending on the trip duration. I typically use this stove for my winter setup, as I never have to worry about it freezing or the elevation that I run it at. The downside is that it is a heavy system and takes up a lot of room. I you are not careful the fuel bottles can leak, and lighting a white gas stove can be a bit of an experience if you have never done so, fireballing a white gas stove is a bit of an experience. Once you get used to charging and preheating the burner it’s easy to use, just takes some getting used to. This stove can also be completely rebuilt, but does require some maintenance. The pump also requires maintenance. Stay on top of the maintenance and these things will run for ever. You can run white gas, unleaded gas, diesel, and isobutene with this stove, all you have to do is change out the jets. These take more time to use (you just don’t screw a can into the bottom of it and turn it on) you have to pressure up the bottle, prime the burner and then if all goes well start it up. They take some practice, but once you figure them out they are great stoves that come at a weight and size penalty. I use this one the most because I also like to cook in the back country. I will always keep this stove because it is so flexible and just always works.

Alcohol Stove

• I think everyone should try alcohol stoves, especially if you are trying to get light weight and reliable. They might not boil water as fast, but you can always count on them. I use a Caldera cone with a 1.3 Toaks Ti cookpot and a trangia stove. Yes, traildesigns sell their own stove with the Caldera Cone, but I personally think the trangia is a far better stove. Plus, you can leave a small amount of fuel in the stove when you are done cooking. Temperature, elevation and wind can affect alcohol stoves, but as long as you have enough experience with them you will get the hang of them pretty quick. I personally don’t find that you can simmer all that well with the trangia, even though they come with a “simmer” ring. As long as you have a good wind blocker with an alcohol stove you will be able to bring water to a boil in just about all conditions, you just have to know how much alcohol it’s going to take. You do have to carry alcohol with you, so you have to be careful that you don’t spill it all over you pack. Plus, these stoves are extremely cheap and there are tons of DYI videos on how to make windscreens, pot stands, etc… If you like to tinker try out one of these. Especially if you are making weigh a priority.

New Post
5/25/2016 8:43 AM

Here's a video on my cook system

It is based on a Trangia alcohol stove, but it wouldn't be nearly the system it is without the integrated pot support / windscreen I use.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/25/2016 9:04 AM

Great information from both of you! Thank you.
Both of you mentioning of alcohol stoves reminded me that my Littlbug has an alcohol option that can be ordered. I'm going to be checking that out as well.
Again, the info shared is greatly appreciated.

New Post
5/25/2016 9:48 AM

I've got the Omnilite Ti as well, and it's a great stove. You can use liquid fuel or isobutane canisters with it which is nice. It's a jet engine though, in terms of sound.

I'm running the original Jetboil, peizoelectric lighter and all and it's still going strong. It must be 10 years old now.

New Post
5/25/2016 10:12 AM

OK, have done some research of the info provided and it seems to me that my best option is to purchase an alcohol stove to compliment the Littlbug stoves I already have.

Evan, what size Nalgene bottles are those you use to store extra alcohol in? Also, did I understand the Youtube video to say that your Trangia stove seals up tight enough to allow you to transport alcohol in it?
Thanks.

New Post
5/25/2016 11:01 AM

I've seen mixed reviews on that. You'll need to check the one you get to see if it seals tight. My Trangia seals up without leaking though.

New Post
5/25/2016 2:54 PM

chorpie, other than Amazon any suggestions as to where to purchase the Trangia?
Does denatured alcohol have a shelf life?

New Post
5/25/2016 2:55 PM

I think those are 1oz bottles. Never had a leak problem. If it does leak, it does no harm other than using the alcohol.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/25/2016 3:45 PM

Another Trangia question: Which model?

1 oz. bottles...Thanks for the clarification, Evan.

New Post
5/26/2016 12:47 PM

Evan, I got mine on amazon. I use camelcamelcamel.com for things I want that I don't need right away,so I think I got mine for $10. I use the 1 Oz. Vargo squeeze bottle, it was super cheap as well. I think a couple of dollars.

I don't think denatured alcohol goes bad

New Post
5/26/2016 1:41 PM

This is the fuel bottle I have http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001OPKH6M

New Post
5/26/2016 2:04 PM

chorpie wrote:

Do I read that right, chorpie, that your Vargo fuel bottle is made from titanium? The picture looks like plastic.

New Post
5/26/2016 4:29 PM

I've been using "recycled" 8oz Theraflu bottles to hold alcohol for years. They haven't leaked, they're tough, almost free, and the flask like shape means they're easy to stash in an inside coat pocket to keep the fuel warm in cold weather.

I've used a Supercat stove with various windscreens since I started backpacking and don't see a need to use anything else since I just boil water for dehydrated meals. The weight and price can't be beaten and I don't care about boil times. Rushing isn't why I'm out there.

New Post
5/26/2016 4:38 PM

Good suggestion, veriest1.

New Post
5/26/2016 8:37 PM

kevhans wrote:
chorpie wrote:

Do I read that right, chorpie, that your Vargo fuel bottle is made from titanium? The picture looks like plastic.

No, I think maybe you mixed a previous post that I had said I also had a Primus Omnilite Ti?

The Vargo bottle is plastic. I think i've seen people re-use disposable water bottles and such, but I don't know if that's safe or not. I guess i don't see why it wouldn't be. 

New Post
5/27/2016 7:40 AM

No, I got the "titanium" from the bottle's description on Amazon. After doing some research of other customers questions I found where someone else had also questioned the titanium construction. Several people answered that the bottle is indeed all plastic.
Thanks, for clarifying.

New Post
5/28/2016 3:05 PM

Agreed, try an alcohol stove. I made a few for free, and I have a trangia stove too.

Also, look at the Emberlit Fireant wood stove - I usually use that, with a tray for esbit tablets for emergencies. It's also designed to fit a trangia stove in there and act as a windscreen. That setup would be a good all-around setup.....

Oh and I use small gatoraide bottles, I forgot how big? like 8oz? to carry my fuel when I'm using an alcohol stove.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralNeed new backpacking stoveNeed new backpacking stove