Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWild land fire fighting pants?Wild land fire fighting pants?
Previous

Next
New Post
5/23/2016 11:11 AM

***EDIT*** I somehow placed this in the wrong forum, apologies.

I know there are some folks on here who have spent time as hotshots or wilderness firefighters. I have seen various USFS issue nomex pants at thrift stores and the like, and I've always wondered about how they would do as general use backcountry pants.

The pants I have always seen are the standard USFS green, which look an awful lot like BDU pants, but recently I've become aware of a whole slew of aftermarket pants which offer improved cut/function over BDU pants (gusset crotch for one). 

Of course, the price is usually pretty high, but not outrageously so for a US made garment. I also like they they are offered in standard waist/inseam measurements. For backcountry use the nomex is not needed of course, and I am not sure how it is as fabric breath ability wise, etc...but maybe they would do OK?

Bad idea? 

New Post
5/24/2016 8:09 AM

Check out the zip pants.

http://warmlite.com/vapor-barrier-clothing/

New Post
5/24/2016 12:40 PM

It seems as though they have a pretty favorable view of the fabric. My only experience with it is from using military surplus summer aviators gloves for general purpose light duty gloves.

New Post
5/25/2016 8:40 AM

nomex is a great all around outdoor fabric. although the nomex pants I used and most of my crew preferred were "old style" in the early 90s. So probably 3-4 versions old. At the time, they were thinner than the new style jean cut.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/26/2016 4:11 PM

I've been curious about them as well, in school they taught us that aramids are supposed to be even stronger then normal nylons so I thought they might be a very durable work pant.

"crew boss" made some nomex pants very similar to vertx pants that I thought looked very good.

New Post
5/27/2016 5:12 PM

Crew boss is the exact brand that I am looking at. Their less expensive fabric, "Tecasafe PLUS" seems to be the cheapest and possibly best in terms of breathability and comfort for warmer weather. They have a Nomex/Kevlar rip stop that is probably best for durability, but may be a bit warm.

http://productresearchgear.com/crewboss-materials-overview/

They definitely look a lot like the Vertx pants- and I really like the inset cargo pockets. One issue I have with cargo pants in general- and this is because I'm a short guy- is that the pockets always seem to be too low. Crye field pants seem to have it right, and according to the website, crew boss also has the pockets higher on the pants.

New Post
5/27/2016 5:34 PM

Check out the Duluth Dry on the Fly pants

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/28/2016 12:37 PM

I checked out those Duluth pants- they look very similar to the rail riders versatac pants. I haven't worn Duluth pants, but the versatacs didn't fit me so well. Based on what I've read, Duluth offers a more generous cut, and so that might be a good alternative to the versatacs, which I liked aside from the fact that they fit weird.

New Post
5/28/2016 7:00 PM

They fit me good.

I wore three different types of nomex pants back in the day. The jean ones, the slack ones, and the ripstop ones. They worked fine, but personally I wouldn't spend money on any of them. My feeling is that they are warm for the weight.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/10/2016 7:32 PM

I think I have finally have something to add to a conversation on the forum! I manage my department's PPE program and we've used the FS issue nomex, Crew Boss, and newer Advance pants.

The issue nomex "greens" balance breathability and wear (not as well as purpose built backcountry attire though) whereas pants made from Advance are very durable but feel clammy. Tecasafe is supposed to breath well but our hand crew ditched it because it didn't hold up well.

Crew Boss pants are baggy. We refer to them as the "MC Hammer" pants. I wear the Vertx nomex pants as a daily station pant and love them.

Overall, I think you can get better performance from a product made specifically to suit the activity. With wildland pants, you're paying for a fire resistant material that you don't necessarily need. Wildland pants dry quickly and insulate surprisingly well but I only wear them because I have to. When stomping around on my own I prefer durable softshell materials or wool.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWild land fire fighting pants?Wild land fire fighting pants?