Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneral"Roomy" Mummy Bags"Roomy" Mummy Bags
Previous

Next
New Post
4/27/2016 12:35 PM

I'm in the process of getting a new bag. Two things are decided: It will be synthetic fill, and it will be a mummy shape. I've also learned over the years that all mummy bags are not shaped alike. Some are much roomier than others in the shoulder, hips, and foot area.

Any suggestions from you members as to bags that fit this "roomy" description? 

One other undecided I have is whether to get a zero degree bag and be done with it, or to get a 20 degree bag and a quilt or serape to bulk it up when needed.

Thoughts?

New Post
4/27/2016 3:55 PM

I have a Wiggy's over bag.

Montbell's bags are stretchy, you can like move around in them. I really like them.

Doesn't Big Agnes make some bigger bags?

New Post
4/27/2016 5:03 PM

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z Flame. Synthetic 20* bag, looks much roomier than other bags, compresses small and weighs under 3lbs. Price is around 179-199. Good green color too.......at least it's fairly low profile (except for the bright yellow interior, hah)

New Post
4/27/2016 5:05 PM

I'd opt for the 20* bag and get a serape or or another bag to work in conjunction. More options, imho.

New Post
4/28/2016 8:56 AM

Chest and hip girth measurements are often available on bags. That will help you figure it out. Not sure how big you need, but North Face bags are often more generous than others in the "standard" sizes. Also, bumping up to a long length will often get you extra girth. I'm not tall, but I've never regretted using longer bags.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/28/2016 11:06 AM

Plus the long bags allow you room to throw clothes to dry off in the bottom of the bag if you need to do that.

New Post
4/28/2016 3:33 PM

The industry standard for a majority of the mass producers seems to be about 62" for Regular length bags, and 65" for the Long versions. You can safely use those two measurements for relative comparisons. I do know Wiggy's offerings go quite a bit beyond that as do a handful of other vendors.

As a point of reference, I'm 5'10" / 230 and I only use the wider width bags. I don't personally consider anything "roomy" until it exceeds 64", but like most things that's a subjective preference.

ETA: I've used "liners" to effectively add perhaps 10 degrees to a bags rating but anything more than that requires a lower rated bag in my personal sense of weight vs benefit.

To illustrate my point: A particular 20 deg quilt that I have weighs 34 oz. The same quilt with a 30 deg rating weighs 28 oz. It would take about 14 oz of liner to equal the 7 oz of additional insulation provided by the heavier quilt. The 30 deg rated quilt with a liner offers some flexibility that the 20 deg quilt might not offer, but it does so inefficiently with regards to weight.

It's worth noting too that the only outdoor sleeping I do is related to backpacking, so weight and pack space are priorities. That obviously plays into my personal choices.

New Post
4/28/2016 5:50 PM

Appreciate the feed back thus far.

I've got a page full of different bag's comparative dimensions written down. I agree that a 62" girth seems to be somewhat of an industry standard. So far I've found that the Mountain Hardware bags are listed as more generously cut than most of the others, so they are on my short list.

41magfan, you mentioned the Wiggy's bags. They are another brand that have also piqued my interest. Do you have any firsthand experience with them? I've tried to find info on them, but so many of the reviews seem to be an either/or, love 'em or hate 'em type thing. 

Most of my use for the bag will be backpacking and canoeing so weight and space are important to me, too.

Again, thanks for the thoughts, guys. Any others?

New Post
4/28/2016 5:53 PM

msilk00 wrote:
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z Flame. Synthetic 20* bag, looks much roomier than other bags, compresses small and weighs under 3lbs. Price is around 179-199. Good green color too.......at least it's fairly low profile (except for the bright yellow interior, hah)

msilk00: I'd appreciate hearing your impressions when you get your Z Flame. Also, would like to know if you got the long or standard version, what size (height and weight) you are, and how comfortable the bag is for you.

New Post
4/28/2016 7:46 PM

kevhans wrote:

Appreciate the feed back thus far.

I've got a page full of different bag's comparative dimensions written down. I agree that a 62" girth seems to be somewhat of an industry standard. So far I've found that the Mountain Hardware bags are listed as more generously cut than most of the others, so they are on my short list.

41magfan, you mentioned the Wiggy's bags. They are another brand that have also piqued my interest. Do you have any firsthand experience with them? I've tried to find info on them, but so many of the reviews seem to be an either/or, love 'em or hate 'em type thing.

Most of my use for the bag will be backpacking and canoeing so weight and space are important to me, too.

Again, thanks for the thoughts, guys. Any others?

What little I know about Wiggy's:

First off, Wiggy has used Climashield insulation since the get-go, which has been a looooong time. He laminates the stuff to the shell fabric with a method of his own design and calls in Lamilite.

All "continuous filament" synthetic (there aren't many in existence) insulations are bulky and heavy relative to other synthetic insulations, but they work like no other synthetic insulation, as well.

If you compare apples to apples, Wiggy bags aren't heavy or bulky - which is an often heard complaint. If another synthetic bag is smaller and lighter, it isn't the same insulation, the same fill weight, the same size, the same shell material or the same zipper. - simple as that.

Now if another synthetic bag with a smaller zipper, a lighter shell material, and less and/or different insulation works for you, I'm perfectly OK with that but it isn't a relative comparison.

Along those lines, I routinely witness people trashing Wiggy bags then brag about another product made with the same Climashield insulation as being the greatest thing since sliced bread. Ignorance seems to know no boundaries.

Mr. Wiggy (Jerry Wigutow) can be rough as a cob! A LOT of folks take issue with his products because they take issue with the man's temperament. I'm perfectly OK with that to be honest, but have the balls to call it for what it is instead of making silly comments about an insulation product with a well established track record.

I'll be honest, if weight and compression size are absolutely critical factors to your endeavors, I just don't see a synthetic bag - of any manufacturer - being the best choice if the temperatures encountered are below freezing.

My outdoor activities are totally benign - I backpack in the Fall/Winter on established trails. Weight and pack volume is critical, so I don't use my Wiggy bag for those pursuits. However, if I knew my life was going to depend on my sleeping gear, It's the only one I'd likely consider.

Incidentally, I've made the switch to quilts and my newest addition is a 20 degree Climashield product that weighs just 34 oz and stuffs in a sack that's about 8 x 12 inches.

Sorry for the protracted post ..... I generally refrain from using two words when one will do and contrary to what this post may lead you to believe, I ain't a Wiggy fanboy - I just lack the tolerance for BS. I've only owned three of his products, but they work as advertised and they're very reasonably priced.

Lastly, Wiggy offers a guarantee that his bags will not lose loft or fall apart with normal use and he encourages you to wash his stuff as often as you like. NOBODY else in the industry offers that warranty because their stuff won't stand up to those claims.

New Post
4/28/2016 10:01 PM

I am a big guy 6'1" and 280 needless to say it took me forever to find a big big enough for my big ass. I had a big agnes for a while it was a 0 degree that was awesome for car camping but was just too big for backpacking. im a pretty hot sleeper so i rarely need anything lower than 20 in my AO for backpacking. i have a nemo symphony synthetic bag that is super comfortable and roomy and i have used a exped dreamcrawler that was downfill and im sold im currently saving for it, but the most roomy bag that i used that didnt break the bank and was warm as hell was the usgi sleep system. it comes with two bags and a gortex bivy you can usually pick them up for 150 in the acu color pattern.

New Post
4/29/2016 8:21 AM

Primaloft 1 is a better insulation from a lbs to warmth standard and warmth when wet than climashield. That is were Wiggy's falls down for me personally. I want a synthetic primaloft. That being said Wiggy's bags do have a reputation for being bomb proof, but lots of folks have personally told me that the warmth rating is wildly inaccurate. IF I was going to be in only sub-zero weather (i.e. no moisture) I might think of a down bag, and in fact Evan is trying to convince me to try out a down bag with the new shell materials to cut pack weight/bulk.

I generally end up going with NF bags after doing the research on girth and weight to warmth factors.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/29/2016 10:13 AM

I've got a few Wiggy's bags. They are my go-to, end of the world bags, as like stated above, they are pretty much bombproof. I have two sets, one a 20F bag and the 30F overbag (designed to work together) and the other is a 0F and a 30F overbag. They are slightly heavier and bulkier than other synthetic bags, but they are a bit warmer for their rating than most other bags.

I've had a number of other bags, ranging from entry level bags, military surplus bags, Mountain Hardware, Northface, Montbell, Kifaru, etc. The Wiggy's ones are still my emergency bags, as they will last longer than any other synthetic bags I've seen.

On the other hand, I really liked the Montbell and Kifaru bags. The Mountain Hardware and the Northface bag I had (Cats Meow) were good bags too. I'd have no problem recommending them to someone.

Oh, and there's this company that makes something called a 'Mountain Serape' that is pretty legit. :-) I use it as an overbag with a 30F bag usually because it doubles as my puffy layer in most conditions.

New Post
4/29/2016 6:07 PM

Greatly appreciate everyone's detailed insight. Lots of food for thought.

41magfan,
What brand of quilt did you get?
Thanks, all!!!

New Post
4/29/2016 6:36 PM

kevhans wrote:
Greatly appreciate everyone's detailed insight. Lots of food for thought.

41magfan,
What brand of quilt did you get?
Thanks, all!!!

Enlightened Equipment
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/prodigy/

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneral"Roomy" Mummy Bags"Roomy" Mummy Bags