Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWhat Solo Hot Tent backpacking combination What Solo Hot Tent backpacking combination
Previous

Next
New Post
1/23/2016 1:21 PM

I camp solo Almost exclusively. 

I currently use a Hilleberg Solo as it is bombproof and easy to setup. 

The thought of processing enough 6 inch pieces of wood for a long winter night never really appealed to me.

But sitting home during this blizzard has me thinking.

what would be your dream solo Stove/tent combination for backpacking?

New Post
1/23/2016 2:50 PM

I feel pretty happy with my current solo hot tent option, which is an Exped Sirius Extreme that I can pitch floorless and I have sewed in a stove jack.  With that, I can use my smaller DIY stove inside,  which will handle 8-10" splits or smallish rounds.  I can also use my Sheperd Stove in it, but with a 3" pipe.  The forthcoming Medium Shepherd Stove would be perfect in a solo up to a 4 man. 

Are you able to pitch your Hilleberg floorless?

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
1/23/2016 3:33 PM

Thank you for the reply. I can set my Soulo up floorless, I never tried it.

New Post
1/23/2016 3:43 PM

What does your Exped Sirius Extreme and stove weigh together? And for a night and a mornings worth of burn how long does it take to gather and process the wood in a normal setting (no rain or snow coming down)?

New Post
1/23/2016 4:14 PM

AnthonyP wrote:
What does your Exped Sirius Extreme and stove weigh together? And for a night and a mornings worth of burn how long does it take to gather and process the wood in a normal setting (no rain or snow coming down)?

Don't have the exact weights off the top of my head....but I think the two together would be less than 5 lbs.  I'm not back from the SHOT Show yet, so I'll have to weigh them when (if) I get back to Virginia.  Procuring and processing enough wood for a night and a morning can be accomplished in about an hour or so, as long as there is plenty of standing dead and dry deadfall lying about.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWhat Solo Hot Tent backpacking combination What Solo Hot Tent backpacking combination