Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralKit bags design suggestions for concealed carryKit bags design suggestions for concealed carry
Previous

Next
New Post
1/17/2016 7:08 PM

Love the runners kit bag and have been wearing it for backpacking about six or seven times backpacking. The ability to access the firearm efficiently may however require me to change to something else. Here are the suggestions that I would make to increase reliability with drawing the firearm.

1. Increase the main zipper size to the next size up. Makes break away opening smoother. May increase profile but the reduction in opening failure would be worth it.

2. Increase the main opening of the zipper to go around the bottom of the bag about an inch. Helps remove the front of the bag as an obstruction since you only open one side to draw your weapon.

3. Move where the back strap connects to the bottom of the bag down about an inch. The bottom butt of a pistol applies pressure right at the point where the bottom strap is attached. If you use a 4 inch pistol when you go to rapidly deploy your weapon the zipper gets stuck on this pressure point. May not matter if the zipper size is increased.

4. Increase the width of the velcro inside to reduce the chance of your holster pulling out along with the weapon.

Like the front pocket being made part of the bag instead of an attachment.
Like that the front pocket zipper used for break away opening.

These are my 2 cents.

Thanks

New Post
1/22/2016 12:04 AM

I've been using my kit bag for about 2 years now, and have never experienced any of the issues you stated. To be fair, mine is the older version with no velcro inside, but I have no desire to stick a holster inside my holster anyway.

New Post
1/22/2016 7:29 PM

Personally I would not use the bag itself as a holster. I prefer it to not have the possibility of moving around. What I use is not really a holster. It is the hook and loop from Maxpedition. Maybe it's the angle in which it is mounted but if the butt of the pistol is to low to the bottom of the fully opened zipper it can catch the bag on draw. The is what I have noticed. Maybe I'll try without the hook and loop or adjust the angle a little more. I am using a mid sized colt 1911.

New Post
1/22/2016 9:21 PM

Just getting finished here at the SHOT Show with the Hill bros and Nick Boyle...happened upon this thread during dinner.   I've been carrying a 5" 1911 in all three KBs I own...OG, Recon, and HRKB....I've had none of the issues you are experiencing with mine.  Not sure exactly why that's happening for you.  A while back, I also lent a couple KBs to DOJ Firearms Instructors to try out on the range for efficiency and carry...they had them for about two weeks and loved them.  They mostly used the finger hook technique for draws out on target, and with a bit of practice were getting into the sub 2 second range...plenty fast and efficient.   They, nor I, had the weapon move around on them while in the KB...it stayed right where they put it....even during moving drills due to the compression of the KB against their chest, as per design and intended wear.  Perhaps some adjustment of your harness straps might help?  Hard to say without seeing exactly how you are wearing your KB.  Maybe post some pics of how you have it set up during wear, and showing the issues you are experiencing would help folks assist you with dialing it in better to alleviate the problems.  Might help.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
1/23/2016 9:41 AM

I found the post about holsters in the kit bag is not really intended so going to try without the hook and loop holster and see how it works out. Could be the position on my chest maybe as well. I have the runners and the recon and will try them both to see if there is any difference there as well. Thanks for the feed back.

New Post
1/23/2016 11:20 AM

Ok.  I talked to my wife and she figured it out.  The issue I am having is I have a very slim profile.  In order for me to have the kit bag not move around on my body the bottom straps have to be relatively tight.  This creates pressure on the zipper.  For people that have wide torsos or deep chests I can see this not being an issue.  Here is a picture of what I am talking about.  I don't think increasing the zipper size would correct this for my body profile. I am in optimal shape but I am a small guy around 5' 7 165. I guess what I could do is loosen the bottom chest strap and use the additional torso strap provided to keep it relatively tight.  Either that or I have to lower the attachment points for me as my chest depth or width is just not large enough.  Once again thanks for the feedback.

New Post
1/23/2016 11:28 AM

Oh and apologies about the image posting.  Didn't see the post about images till after I posted.

New Post
1/25/2016 9:22 AM

Just looking at your picture I think it is an issue of technique. Don't pull out, pull down. Have you watched the draw video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssjLQhhzEa8

The down and away angle is what you want. Just pulling out will partially open it, but not to the bottom. We had a woman come by the booth how is maybe a 120 pounds, but is getting sub 1.7 second draws, and I know of a other folks smaller than you getting sub 2 second draws. As with any holster technique is everything.

The insert holster like you talk about is actually a binding hazard and slower on a shot timer.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
1/31/2016 7:20 PM

I'll see if I can get it to work by pulling down more. Is that video on the kit bag faq. If not that would be good to include there as well. Now let's see if I can get this working better.

Thanks.

New Post
2/1/2016 9:48 AM

It is on the reference thread

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/2/2016 5:50 PM

It it working good now. Lowered the bag about an inch so it sits closer to the bottom of my chest so it cradles the pistol better. Got rid of the velcro holster and worked on pulling down more. All good. Thanks.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralKit bags design suggestions for concealed carryKit bags design suggestions for concealed carry