Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralAlbany and Eugene areaAlbany and Eugene area
Previous

Next
New Post
11/24/2015 5:04 PM

I will leave the wolf thing alone but do think that people here are judgmental in their own way. Maybe it is where you are to a degree. Springfield (where I lived for 20+ years) is more conservative and I think more "live and let live" than Eugene. You could do pretty much whatever you wanted as long as it wasn't too out there. Eugene people believe everything is their business particularly if they think it is anything they don't like. Fire up a chainsaw to cut down a tree in Springfield and the neighbor will ask if they can help. Do the same in Eugene and you won't even begin to get the tree cut before the neighbor will ask what you think you are doing and threaten police or lawsuit intervention if they don't like it, even if it isn't their business and perfectly legal. Most anything in Eugene is fair game for the intervention of the populous. Most people in Eugene are liberal and anyone who isn't "is an idiot and beneath them" (I have heard this exact statement a number of times), particularly around the University. I have lived here a long time and tend to mind my own business but still get into it with neighbors and strangers who want to do whatever they want but don't want you to do anything you want. Hypocrisy is the Eugene way of life. I think it takes a bit of mental toughness to live here.

New Post
11/28/2015 3:12 AM

I used to live in Helena. It was a freaking nightmare

New Post
11/29/2015 11:34 AM

I grew up in southern Oregon (between Grants Pass and Brookings). The vibe is much different down there. After the Army I moved to the Portland area for work. My family teases me all the time for living among the liberals. I didn't mind living up here for the longest time until I worked in Montana for a few months last summer. The vibe there was much different. Nobody worried about what you were doing.
I miss thise epic thunderstorms too. It always seemed to begin raining after work. After dinner we would retire to our tents and wait out the rain. In a few hours it would stop. Rain in Oregon and Washington can be constant. I don't mind rain or overcast skies so it suits me either way. The result of all the rain in the pacific northwest is the lush vegetation and rapid timber growth. While its easy to go into the woods and not be seen by pesky humans I still enjoy the more open ponderosa forests in the drier east side of the cascades or the drier oak savannas further south for hunting. All my friends in Montana who shot or hunted have long range rifles. The terrain and vegetation in most places in Oregon I hunt (Cascades to the coast) is so dense I normally plan to shoot only 100 or 200 yards. In much of Montana I experienced you can take way further shots. i cannot say much about snow in Montana since I have not experienced it but Oregon its not bad. Most people in the big cities cannot handle a little snow cover so be aware of that.

New Post
11/29/2015 7:55 PM

Colefoz wrote:
 The result of all the rain in the pacific northwest is the lush vegetation and rapid timber growth. While its easy to go into the woods and not be seen by pesky humans I still enjoy the more open ponderosa forests in the drier east side of the cascades or the drier oak savannas further south for hunting. All my friends in Montana who shot or hunted have long range rifles. The terrain and vegetation in most places in Oregon I hunt (Cascades to the coast) is so dense I normally plan to shoot only 100 or 200 yards. In much of Montana I experienced you can take way further shots.

In the Bob Marshall Wilderness, south of Glacier, you see that same dramatic climate change, except more compressed, I believe.  West of the Divide, you have 10ft tall blueberry bushes in places, ferns, lush undergrowth below timberline.  East of the Divide (the Chinese Wall) it looks like the MT you describe, in basically the next county.

New Post
11/30/2015 5:05 PM

"The Chinese Wall". Hahaha I love it! I have not yet explored much of the east side of Oregon past Bend. My favorite place to visit is the Kalmiopsis wilderness.

New Post
12/1/2015 9:40 AM

The Kalmiopsis is great but so is the east side. I think the 4 best places in Or. are the 4 corners of the state. The NE corner being my favorite and the SE next (the SW next and the NW next). Can't beat the Wallowas and The Steens for great country.

New Post
12/3/2015 12:16 PM

snakey3 wrote:
Can't beat the Wallowas and The Steens for great country.

The Steens are good but I really thought the Owyhee was something special. I'm glad we got out there on a trip thanks to you before we cleared out of Oregon.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
12/3/2015 2:47 PM

Owyhee is the outback of America.

New Post
12/3/2015 3:02 PM

I really wish I had spent more time down Owyhee way, but discovered it to late.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/6/2015 10:59 AM

There are many misconceptions about the Eugene-Springfield metropolitan area and Lane County as a whole. One, as an attorney friend of mine says, the liberality of Eugene is largely confined to a 3 block area surrounding the University of Oregon (however the liberal element controls Eugene City government, the county government is quite conservation and corrupt). This is an exaggeration to make a point but Lane County as a whole is pretty conservative politically. Both cities are originally mill towns and largely built on the wood products industry. Eugene still has some lumber mills but there are a surprising number of mills in Springfield, from pulp, plywood, shake, straight lumber to specialized mill work.

You have a choice. If you want your kids to grow up in the "Sometimes a Great Notion" lifestyle and mindset, live in Springfield. Remember, Ken Kesey graduated from my son's alma mater, Springfield High School. They will get a substandard education, be around people who despise higher education and will be destined to vote rich and live poor. On the other hand, depending on your neighborhood in Eugene, the education will be better, perhaps Springfield Improved, or quite good if you are fortunate to live near the University.

My wife's family lives here so this is where I am. I have lived in Portland for 12 years, Bend 11 years and 11 years here. They are all different. I never read why the Hill's brothers left Bend. It is growing again and has downsides socially that many don't see if they are just visiting but I don't encourage people to move there or anywhere is Oregon.

Albany is also a mill town. Both communities are located in unreclaimed wetlands.

New Post
10/28/2016 8:02 PM

I have landed in Corvallis. The needs of my elderly folks outweighed everywhere else who is up for a meetup?

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralAlbany and Eugene areaAlbany and Eugene area