Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralAlbany and Eugene areaAlbany and Eugene area
Previous

Next
New Post
11/21/2015 8:35 AM

Hey guys (and i presume a few gals)

I am new to the forum ( I fing love it by the way) and notice there is a rather large Oregon contingent here.

That being said, my wife and I are thinking of moving to Oregon from Montana. We are looking at Albany, Eugene and Newport areas.

My questions to you are as follows:

What are taxes like?

Affordable housing? Does it exist?

Employment opportunities in the firearm/knife/gear community?

Thanks in advance

New Post
11/21/2015 9:07 AM

Where in MT do you live? What is your motivation for moving, and what about OR and those specific places draws you?

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
11/21/2015 9:19 AM

We currently live in Missoula. We are looking to move to Oregon for closeness to family and the big water . Albany is closest to family ( but not too close if you know what I mean), and Eugene for the same reason

New Post
11/21/2015 3:08 PM

I lived in Eugene for 6 years some time ago, and in Vancouver WA (across the Columbia River from Portland) for many years.

There is no sales tax in Oregon. The income taxes are very high, especially as you earn more money because they put a cap (IIRC $3000) on the amount of Federal Income Tax deductible from Oregon taxable income so you get to pay tax twice on money you never saw :(

Oregon has "land use planning" so housing will probably be more expensive than Missoula.

Summers are great, but my weather forecast of FROG works about 8 months a year (Forty or Fifty degrees, Rainy, Overcast and Gray). Willamette Valley liberals dominate state politics. "Keep Portland Weird" is not just a saying.

I liked living in Eugene, but lots of '60s hippies hanging around. Albany is more blue collar. Stay in Missoula and visit in the summer :) or look at Bend.

Benchmade and Gerber are just south of Portland; Leatherman is near the airport, and I think Al Mar and Kershaw are still headquartered there; not sure about CRKT.

New Post
11/21/2015 7:13 PM

I'm familiar with both areas, having family in both Eugene and Missoula. I live just west of you in the Wallace area so I know Missoula fairly well.

Bottom line is the politic in Eugene and Missoula are pretty much carbon copy. Both are big bicycle neo hippy refuges. I don't dislike bicycles but they don't mix with traffic IMO.

Both these towns are very, very simialiar in both politic and culture or lack thereof. Both have really nice areas surrounding them. The weather is more mild in Eugene of course.

As per cost. I would say Missoula is grossly overpriced at the moment and its worse than what I've seen in Eugene. I think your overall cost of living in Oregon is less. Montana has some stiff tax rates, high vehicle insurance, and higher utilities.

If you like being near the coast of course Oregon is the choice. Western Montana just isn't what it used to be.

New Post
11/21/2015 8:29 PM

Its been at least 15 years since I've been out that way, but as i recall, a buddy of mine swore that the "Indian name" for Eugene translates as "The valley of sickness".

New Post
11/23/2015 10:04 AM

To bark-eater's point, the southern end of the Willamette Valley is the rye grass see capital of the world. Springs there, for hay fever sufferers, is rather epic in discomfort. I lived in Eugene for 2 years, and have thought about moving back there, but the air quality May to July keeps me from seriously thinking about it. Friends of mine that never suffered from seasonal allergies other places were affected there. One in particular, became asthmatic during his time there.

Otherwise, I think it's a great college town with easy access to some spectacular wild areas.

New Post
11/23/2015 10:14 AM

Criminy. Don't. Just don't. Not even Bend. LaGrande / Baker if you *must* live in OR. But you're better off avoiding the state. If you want to get out of Missoula, move over to Helena. Buck can probably compare and contrast better than I, but I actually think Washington state is a better place to be than Oregon state from a political and tax standpoint. And, as he says, anywhere west of the Cascades you're looking at 6-10 months a year of slate grey everything. Some years are better than others. Gotta be prepared for that. Learn to like coffee. Lots of it.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
11/23/2015 10:39 AM

hansford wrote:
To bark-eater's point, the southern end of the Willamette Valley is the rye grass see capital of the world. Springs there, for hay fever sufferers, is rather epic in discomfort. I lived in Eugene for 2 years, and have thought about moving back there, but the air quality May to July keeps me from seriously thinking about it. Friends of mine that never suffered from seasonal allergies other places were affected there. One in particular, became asthmatic during his time there.

That will be the case in any area where any sort of grains are grown, like the Palouse in SE WA for example.  After they combine it is a literal dust/pollen storm for weeks.

To the OP, concerning work in firearms manufacturing, the Kalispell area is becoming the center for west of the MS river, I'm told.  Lots of  barrel makers.  DPMS's match grade stuff used to be made there but no longer I'm told.  NEMO is there, high end stuff.

New Post
11/23/2015 11:35 AM

Take-a-knee wrote:

To the OP, concerning work in firearms manufacturing, the Kalispell area is becoming the center for west of the MS river, I'm told.  Lots of  barrel makers.  DPMS's match grade stuff used to be made there but no longer I'm told.  NEMO is there, high end stuff.

Exactly correct. There are at least half a dozen there, and the state of MT is actively courting them and trying to develop more industry and infrastructure in that area. The state of OR, on the other hand, is actively anti-business and anti-development. That all started in the 1970s with a very deliberate decision. Part of what fell out of that was the Urban Growth Boundaries that Buck referenced. There are upsides to the anti-development stance, but there are downsides as well. UGBs have saved Oregon from sprawl, but they also keep the cost of housing quite high in many areas -- particularly relative to income.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
11/23/2015 1:20 PM

evanhill wrote: The state of OR, on the other hand, is actively anti-business and anti-development. That all started in the 1970s with a very deliberate decision. Part of what fell out of that was the Urban Growth Boundaries that Buck referenced. There are upsides to the anti-development stance, but there are downsides as well. UGBs have saved Oregon from sprawl, but they also keep the cost of housing quite high in many areas -- particularly relative to income.

It appears that folks who sold CA houses before the 2008 crash had huge windfalls of cash to spend on a home when they moved.  A bunch of 'em headed up I-5.  From what little research I've done they've done the same thing in the Wind River area of WY.

I was in the Tacoma area a few weeks ago.  Run-down areas I wouldn't live in (think COPS TV show) were selling for $200/sq/ft.

New Post
11/23/2015 1:45 PM

Wow I live in Eugene so what can I say to all of this trash talk except most is true. If you favor very liberal nonsensical politics, high income and property taxes poorly spent (IMO) and sporadic ups and downs in the economy/job market along with easy access to the ocean and ski areas this is your place. If not I would look elsewhere. The politics will not change since the metro corridor (I5 north from Eugene to Portland) controls everything and always will. Outdoor recreation is the one saving grace to this place lots and easy to get to. I know of very few opportunities for work in the fields you mentioned, most were noted. If I were not so settled here I would move in a heartbeat, probable to Idaho. Good luck and if you are set on Or. and want more specific info let me know, I have been here over 45 years and know a little about the state.

New Post
11/23/2015 3:20 PM

Washington politics aren't that great either with the liberal Seattle area dominating the more conservative, but sparsely populated east side of the state. A ballot initiative passed outlawing private firearms transactions, even loaning one to a friend if my understanding is correct. Washington has a sales tax, no income tax and property taxes in Vancouver weren't too bad.

Yes, LaGrande/Baker would be much better, but you are still in Oregon.

There's a line in "Sometimes a Great Notion" to the effect that if you can't handle the rain and gray you may as well put your mouth over the muzzle of a 12ga and pull the trigger. Not advocating that for sure, but you get the idea it does affect many people.

Like Snakey3 suggested, I moved to the mountains in Idaho. I will visit Portland or Seattle from time to time, but only after my sweetie has applied sufficient social pressure  :)

New Post
11/23/2015 3:44 PM

Buck W wrote:

There's a line in "Sometimes a Great Notion" to the effect that if you can't handle the rain and gray you may as well put your mouth over the muzzle of a 12ga and pull the trigger. Not advocating that for sure, but you get the idea it does affect many people.

I've joked that the prevalence of fancy coffee in the PNW is to keep people from killing themselves. Except I'm not really joking. I think a pretty small group of folks are truly unaffected, the majority are affected but are functional enough still that they mostly don't recognize it, and then a pretty good sized chunk of folks experience significant impacts to their life.

New Post
11/23/2015 4:17 PM

Right after coffee, haveing access to a sauna to cook the crud out, really helped me keep healthy. When I moved to Maine people would ask me how i was handling the cold, and all I could think was " Wow, I can see the sun"

New Post
11/24/2015 9:36 AM

The rain doesn't bother me that much. If all of the negatives (or most) went away I would think this was a paradise rain or not. Plenty to do when it rains so much that the rivers blow out and one can't fish or just don't want to be outside but, believe or not, that isn't all that often. I do a lot outside when it is drizzling if I didn't I would not get much done. Inside stuff like reloading when it is really stormy keeps things moving. I kinda like some enforced inside time so I don't feel guilty about not doing things when the weather is nice (cleaning guns comes to mind). Stewing over nutty politics is something I could do without though.

New Post
11/24/2015 9:43 AM

I love Eugene! The college kids get old so finding a place on the McKenzie river is where I will most likely wind up. There is Springfield on the other side of the interstate that is much more conservative albeit dominated by consumer culture.

Everyone mentions the hippies and lefties. I like knowing that most people around me are passive, both from a survival aspect and just social experience.
I don't need to be big and bad all the time and being in a place where people are genuinely nice and non judgmental was such a refreshing experience when I left the south.

I live in La Grande like Evan mentioned and really the only thing this area has going for it is 3 mountain ranges within an hours drive. I killed a deer so close to town on Saturday I could see my house with a good spotter.

Like others have mentioned the dreary winters in the valley are no joke......like seriously......dont underestimate missing the sun terribly.

Yes taxes here are high(er), they just are. This state is more socialized than most, if youre going to live here just accept it and move on. At the end of the day its just money and I believe Oregon is doing a lot to ensure an improved quality of life for as many people as they can.

***I have heard there is a company in the body/vehicle armor game around Portland somewhere so there is that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Excuse me while I whip this out.

New Post
11/24/2015 12:28 PM

I agree, Joe.  Additionally,  I like a town with a college or university, is bike-able and has at least one food co-op.

New Post
11/24/2015 12:56 PM

I was wondering how Hansford would chime in. Interesting you'd say non-judgmental Joe. Perhaps it's just in contrast to the south, but the extremely judgmental nature of Oregon is the thing that sticks out to me the most about it. My impression is very much "I know better than you and as such I'm going to run your life for you as well". Not live and let live.

New Post
11/24/2015 2:22 PM

Hmm, I have encountered that Evan, but not much. As in all things it seems, I have spent time considering the objective lens I use. More and more I have seen that people in Oregon are 'live and let live.' Nobody cares who you marry, or how you raise your kids. I feel more free here than I ever have. I do wonder how much of that is state of mind and not state of residence, though.

I do think there is something to be said about your other comment though. If people honestly do know better, and I know I'm walking a thin line here, but there are some things that should be dictated. The subject of wolves in Oregon is a prime example. All things being equal, the research was done and reintroduction of an apex predator was shown to be warranted by science. Not some liberal agenda or bleeding hearth pet project, but by science. Now you talk to people out here, overwhelmingly youre told that nobody wants them here. Well, sorry, but irrefutable and peer reviewed science, TO ME, means more than the public opinion. I know this is a hot button subject and don't have the time to debate it, especially here, but the unbridled freedom your average libertarian wants would lead to each person doing anything they want regardless of how it affects other people or species.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Excuse me while I whip this out.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralAlbany and Eugene areaAlbany and Eugene area