Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDIY Book and Journal CoverDIY Book and Journal Cover
Previous

Next
New Post
11/16/2015 11:27 PM

So my girlfriend is off on what will be the first part of what will end up being several months traveling abroad. She wanted to have a journal for the trip, especially something that wouldn't get destroyed being carried around all over the globe. I decided I'd brush the dust off my home-economics classes from middle school and make one myself! I also decided I wanted a way for her to carry and protect a bible with her that's smaller than the encyclopedia sized one she already had. So I drew up some plans on graph paper first to help hash out how I wanted it to work. Then I cut it out full size and taped it together. From there went to beta prototyping with some scrap fabric. Then on to the final version. I picked up some 1000D cordura from Colorado Fabrics along with some ribbon trim, elastic and polyester outdoor thread. I'm used to working with metal and the transition to fabric wasn't entirely smooth, but I persevered and here's the finished product.

photo 20151109_0039591_zpsblx2m2jo.jpg

photo 20151109_0046441_zpsz4reobxj.jpg

I used 4X6" Rite In The Rain notebooks for the journal side. They seemed to be a common size at most of the stores I looked in. Also big enough to write on easily without being too big and bulky.

Added a little pouch on the flap with velcro closure.
 photo 20151109_0040441_zps9idgfmlu.jpg

photo 20151109_0041071_zpsyq6wjjid.jpg

I even geeked out to the point of making sure that when it was open that only the fuzzy size of the velcro would be exposed to the user.

photo 20151109_0041211_zpsj8qy7w2i.jpg

That's it. A far cry from First Spear quality, but I'm pretty happy with the end product. I now have a huge piece of purple cordura left over, so I'll probably be making myself a wallet soon, and every other custom gear project I can think of....

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
11/25/2015 5:56 PM

Very nice, Ned!  Looks like a professional piece of work...but of course I would expect nothing less from you!  

For your gal's travels, you might also consider getting her an RFID protective neck pouch for her credit cards & passport.  These will help combat against thieves stealing her credit card and identity info...which does happen overseas.  Another useful item is the Paksafe waist pouch, which enables the wearer to be protected against pickpockets.  

Finally, you might also consider getting her one of these: http://www.defensedevices.com/bulldog.... The Brutus Self Defense Keychain is great to have along.  It's made of polymer, so it can be carried in the carry-on bag right through airport screening.  The sharp ears on the Brutus will take the fight out of an attacker in short order!  The eyes are finger holes, and it is held like brass knuckles.  I carry one of these (along with a couple other discreet tools) whenever I travel.  My wife and daughter each have one that they carry along with a small pepper spray when they go running.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
11/26/2015 12:16 AM

Thanks Ken! It looks better in the photos than real life ;), unfortunately unlike metal you can't "tweak" things with a hammer.

The RFID protector is a good idea. She already has some kind of waist belt thing that keeps things stashed away.

Those things look pretty nasty if you end up on the wrong end. I also really like Sharkie from Cold Steel, just a super beefy marker. Did some training with it in Systema classes and it's surprisingly effective. Really anything you can use to jab into the eyes, ears, nose, throat and balls does a whole lot to take the fight out of someone. I taught her some very basics before she left, as much as anything just fight back. Predators of all types are looking for easy targets, don't allow yourself to be one of them and you've improved your chances.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralDIY Book and Journal CoverDIY Book and Journal Cover