Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralHunting ethics: case studyHunting ethics: case study
Previous

Next
New Post
9/27/2010 11:08 AM

Here is a situation that was posted on another forum that I've just got to comment on. For political reasons, I'm not going to address it head on on that forum.

A hunter was out hunting a particular type of ungulate where he had a bag limit of two. Not an animal with a particularly big kill zone, btw.  When he encountered one, he shot a couple of times from a good rest and somehow determined that his scope had lost it's zero and his rifle was shooting "over the animal's back". So, he proceeded to hold a foot low and scored a hit. The animal didn't go down so he fired again, accidentally holding on instead of a foot low so he missed it. Then he finally held a foot low and put the animal down. Next, he encounters another one and takes a good rest, again holding a foot low and puts that one down with a single shot.

WTF? How do you know that your scope is only off vertically and not horizontally as well? How do you know, given the fact that it isn't holding zero, that the zero isn't wandering between shots? All of which leads me to wonder how one could guarantee a clean kill in a situation like that? Personally, I would have pulled the scope and switched to irons. Everybody has backup irons on their rifle for situations just like this, right? If not, wasn't it time to pack it in and stop shooting as soon as you knew your sighting system was compromised?

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
9/27/2010 1:17 PM

You're responsible for every round you shoot. Seems that if the person in question (or anyone for that matter) A) had iron sights and B) was confident to use them at the given range of the shot, it would seem a better way to guarantee the bullet is going to go where you want it, and kill the animal in a more reliable and timely fashion. Considering all the things that could be wrong with a scope that had randomly lost it's zero, including a wandering POI like you mentioned, I sure wouldn't feel confident with taking repeated shots, and would feel even worse if the animal got away injured.

New Post
9/29/2010 11:51 AM

If I thought my scope had lost its zero, I would only be shooting at an inantimate target to confirm that thought. I would not shoot at a live animal since there are just too many bad places to hit one if you don't know where you're bullet is going, especially shooting from a field position.

New Post
10/13/2010 5:11 PM

evanhill wrote

Personally, I would have pulled the scope and switched to irons. Everybody has backup irons on their rifle for situations just like this, right? If not, wasn't it time to pack it in and stop shooting as soon as you knew your sighting system was compromised?

I don't have backup irons on my rifles, but if I knew I'd bumped my scope I'd IMMEDIATELY quit hunting and look for a good location to check my zero-------------near someone else's camp. ;)  There's NO excuse for running around fat, dumb and happy with a rifle you KNOW is off, hoping to "walk in" your shots on hair.  I'm afraid that a large percentage of hunters feel like if they're "legal", ie, holding a tag, then they're GTG, and whatever may happen in the field isn't their fault.  Ethics plays no part in their thinking.  I've already lost count how many SOB's have shot does and left them lay during this buck season, and I'm still trying to catch up with a doe that's got an arrow sticking straight out the side of her skull from archery season.  It's stuck about in inch below here eye, and makes me sick every time I think about it. I damned near sold my bow because of it.  Fuggin' trailer trash with tags in their pockets......

New Post
10/11/2013 9:47 PM

Thread Resurrection!

I know this is a real old thread but modern firearm deer season opens here tomorrow morning and I think it bears repeating (probably not to anyone on this forum but in general). I'm not saying you have to honor an animals spirit but at least show some respect. To many people go hunting just to feel tough that they can blow a hole through something fluffy with their ubersnipermagnumshoulderartilery. 

It's easy for us locals to blame stuff like that on coasties or whomever but the fact is I know some pretty crappy locals too. Guys who have never sighted in their rifle while sober... Guys who think "good shooting" is getting their deer in "only" 10 shots that year... And they get mad when I refuse to have anything to do with them. Because apparently I'm the jerk. 

I know losing animals happens to even the very best of us but it's not something that should ever be blown off. 

Sorry if I kind of got off on a rant there. 

New Post
10/15/2013 10:52 AM

Given the inherent out-of-the-box accuracy of the modern big-game rifle - almost regardless of the big-name manufacturer, I flirt between bemused irritation and festering abhorrence at what an alarming percentage of so-called shooters and hunters deem "good enough".

A basketball sized group at 100 yards is grounds for a snaggle-toothed high five at the local gun range?  Really?

In my estimation, a 1-2" group should be the minimal token expectation. Anything over a 3" group at 100 yards from a solid bench rest with a newly minted rifle is grounds for the immediate probation of the trigger puller's Man Card and/or a thorough assessment  of the rifle system in question.

So, when one is waaaaay off the mark, it should be an immediate wake-up call that something is amiss with the rifle system (rarely) and/or something is desperately wrong with the shooter’s technique (invariably).  Either way, we owe it to the game animal to make no further attempts until the underlying condition is resolved. 

The oft maligned mantra of "One shot. One kill." should not just be the sniper's, it should be the ethical hunter's as well.

Allen

New Post
2/13/2014 12:53 PM

Step 1 for me would be to stop shooting and check to see if the knobs on the scope were bumped out of position, then check and tighten all of the screws in the mounting apparatus. 

New Post
2/13/2014 2:07 PM

I’m only going to speak to the mechanical issues of the story.  If this had been addressed before the hunt…we wouldn't have the drama during the hunt.  PPP lead to PPP.

After we take operator error and improper/untested zero out of the picture the optic and mounting system are the largest causes of misses in the field in my opinion.  It blows my little mind how people can have a gunsafe full of junk rifles and junk glass hinged on junk rings and bases.  Few of which have been checked at multiple ranges and even fewer will hold their zero through a month of hard hunting.  JUNK!  Sell that crap to someone you don't like. 

Your scope, rings, and base are the Achilles heel of the rifle setup.   For those that spend months in the field every year I think you will agree.  We spend $100’s if not $1000’s on a hunt and then shoot junk glass on junk rings.  I don’t get it.   

If I must run a bolt gun I always have a qualified smith enlarge the scope base thread pattern.  And then JB weld the hell out of it.  If I could mig weld it I would.  I think the new overkill “tactical” rings with lots of contact surface area are a giant step in the right direction.  There is a reason good glass costs so much…it’s worth it.  I currently run Swarovski and NF and have had great luck with both.  To date they have never cost me fur or an animal. In my opinion the higher end Leupold, Burris, Nikon, etc are about the lowest quality optic I would run.  I have never once turned a turret in the field and I have killed a few animals.  I know they are all the rage but I find them to be mental masturbation for all but a niche market.  Exposed turrets have cost me in the past.  Zero stops are a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.  

My truck always has a 8" spring loaded steel plate that I use to confirm zero anytime me or the rifle takes a spill. 

Kind of a long rant but someone may find it entertaining. 

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralHunting ethics: case studyHunting ethics: case study