Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWetterling Les StroudWetterling Les Stroud
Previous

Next
New Post
2/23/2015 6:58 AM

I got to spend sometime with one this last weekend, and came away very impressed. If I didn't have my custom hafted Wetterling I would have bought one. It is a bit heavier than my ideal, but it is a very capable tool. I even found that the hammer pole was great for batoning, because it directed the force right into the top portion of the blade, which gave me a lot of precision. I used it one handed, two handed, and batoning and in each place couldn't really find a complaint. I purposely didn't take my small forest axe to force myself to spend time with the Les Stroud and a Estwing, and didn't find myself missing the small forest axe. I still feel that the small forest axe size is better for a vehicle tool, but for self carry the Les Stroud is hard to beat for serious work.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/23/2015 8:45 AM

Scot, is this the one?:

http://www.kt8merch.com/store/pages/23897/Survivorman_-_The_Bushman_Wetterlings_Ax_by_Les_Stroud.htm

New Post
2/23/2015 8:52 AM

yup

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/23/2015 9:11 AM

Ive had one for about a year now. I love that thing. It's been on the few backcountry trips Ive taken in that time and it carries well. I actually worked the edge on it yesterday and was able to split an 8" round of green Maple with one swing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Excuse me while I whip this out.

New Post
2/23/2015 10:59 AM

In reading some of the reviews, it seemed there were some problems with heat treatment (rolled edges, etc) and possibly some forging issues. Any idea if these issues have been worked out?

New Post
2/23/2015 3:34 PM

El Mac wrote:
In reading some of the reviews, it seemed there were some problems with heat treatment (rolled edges, etc) and possibly some forging issues. Any idea if these issues have been worked out?

The Les Stroud Scot was testing out is mine, El Mac. I, too had heard about some quality control issues with Wetterlings, but also read some stuff (can't remember where) that a gal high up in Wetterlings leadership (perhaps one of the Wetterlings family) got on top of those issues in quick order. I bought my Les Stroud at Summit Hut in Tucson about a year ago.  It has a well shaped head and good face, the hammer poll is just about perfect in size, and the grain in the handle couldn't be straighter.  I put a shaving-sharp edge on it with my strop and honing compounds not long before the Winter Gathering and it went through both chopping and splitting chores like butter.  I have a Two Hawks Longhunter on order, so I'm anxiously waiting for it to arrive so that I can do a solid comparo of the two.  Different designs, but my hope is that either will be worthy backpack-able forest tools.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
2/23/2015 3:56 PM

Interesting.....two completely different designs and weights. Still, the comparo will be interesting.....

New Post
2/23/2015 9:32 PM

I have a very similar, in all regards, Council Tool Velvicut Hudson Bay. I wanted to compare stats, but the HB has apparently been modified, and now has an 19" haft now, more comparable with the GB SFA Scot mentioned. I'm sure that's not an accident. I have no regrets getting mine early and having the longer version. It's a little thicker in profile than the Swedish axes, though I think the Bushman Axe in particular is a bit thicker than their other models.

I'm a fan.

New Post
3/4/2015 6:15 PM

I have had the hots for one of these since they first hit the market.

I guess it's about time I grabbed one.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralWetterling Les StroudWetterling Les Stroud