Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralMSU Bozeman Preparedness QuestionnaireMSU Bozeman Preparedness Questionnaire
Previous

Next
New Post
3/22/2012 1:30 PM

Actually, while the goal will be about the same the ingrediants are going to be different. I learned a lot last time.

My wheels are 17" if I remember correctly, so it is not a huge issue, actually my biggest complaint is the offset issue. For whatever reason the current wheels sit in close enough to the suspension that I don't have enough clearance on my front tires for chains. I am guessing this was another way to address ride quality and noise. When I need new tires I might relook at wheels, but for now it just doesn't make sense.

Oh Les Schwab already had three sets of stock wheels so they weren't interested and craigslist is a pain in the ass.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/22/2012 3:34 PM

I wouldn't worry what kind of tires you have. I know you all have your ten essentials and then some so you will survive anything the wrong tire might throw at you. As for Allen I think he had so much fun doing that he will probably never change tires. He'll just carry more essentials (whiskey and 230 gr goodness).

New Post
3/22/2012 4:49 PM

Jason,

You're right, the tires on Scot's new rig are not big and fancy. At the time they just looked like they were next to mine that I was trying to eek out the last amount of legal tread before a good Fall tire sale at Schwab  (the Toyo AT's are a nice do-it-all tire, BTW)  I was more or less drawing some tongue in cheek humor on the fact that even well prepared vehicles can get stuck and it's always a good idea to bring along some extraction gear.  And, like Scot said, you've got to know the limitations of your setup cause sometimes even knowing isn't necessarily going to keep you from getting in a pickle.

The funny, er,...not so funny thing about that situation was that I had just checked out another possible campsite just minutes earlier by driving a circle through some very similar looking terrain without a bit of a problem.  It turns out that Evan did the same shortly thereafter, also without a problem.  The tank bog trap looked pretty mundane and carefully disguised.  Not so much after it lurched to a stop when the front axles suddenly dropped out from under me and the happy shovelfest ensued.  I was so glad that I had that long military grade static line with me in addition to a shovel, polaski, an axe, a chainsaw...and loads of helpful opinions.  ;)

Nothing like having that happen from time to time to keep you humble and impress upon you the importance of being prepared. 

New Post
3/22/2012 6:16 PM

Ok, I'm caught up to speed now.........thanks. ;)

I've you could see my "summer tires" that I ran through the winter in order to get the last little bit of good out of them before I free up one set of rims, you'd know that I fully appreciate what you were doing with your tires.  I'll then do the same thing for the next couple years with my BFG Muds before switching to Toyo MT's for year-round use.  At this point I run a larger risk of the tires just getting old before I can wear them out.  Light little Toyotas are easy on tires.

In an attempt to get this thread back on track with emergency gear while simultaneously talking about tires, I'll give a quick plug for a great little air compressor I bought for my work truck and have already used extensively while my employer was busy trying NOT to buy me Toyos.

This one:

www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-High-Volume-Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8/ref=sr_1_16

I've aired up several 33" truck tires with mine (rock damage), and it's been a strong performer.  It connects directly to the vehicle's battery so there's no risk of burning out a fuze panel,  and this also allows for a stronger motor than the normal cigarette lighter pumps.  The length of the electrical leads and air hose are enough to reach all four corners of a truck.   Not exactly cheap, but you usually get what you pay for, and I've been very happy with my sample of one.

New Post
3/22/2012 8:20 PM

driving a circle through some very similar looking terrain without a bit of a problem.  It turns out that Evan did the same shortly thereafter, also without a problem.  The tank bog trap looked pretty mundane and carefully disguised.

Agreed. If anything, I would have expected the lower end where we *did* drive to be a mud bog. Still curious if my much lighter Cherokee would have floated through that spot where you got stuck. Wasn't brave enough to try it then, so we'll never know. Kind of like my snowshoe versus ski test this morning... you'll never know for sure if you don't try same conditions same day. I was brave enough to put on snowshoes for a while this morning, and my reward was some extra cardio and a bunch of high knee lifts.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralMSU Bozeman Preparedness QuestionnaireMSU Bozeman Preparedness Questionnaire