Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralMountain Bike saddles?Mountain Bike saddles?
Previous

Next
New Post
5/20/2014 11:06 PM

Ok so I have the True Goo tubes in the tires (thanks Ned) and have been riding a few miles every day and while out roading the dogs. 

After watching a few YouTube videos I think I have the bike adjusted well enough for me to ride.

The saddle (Bontrager I think) is killing me!  It measures 9.5 x 6.  After a little research I am looking at the Selle SMP Extra Gel saddles but am open to suggestions.

Suggestions?  $150 budget.

Incidentally, already took one stock-killing feral while out riding.  Suppressed 22 pistol came out of the pack after I ditched the bike and rolled him at about 40yds trotting. The CCI SHP kills much better than it should. 

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
5/23/2014 10:43 AM

My favorite is the WTB speed V pro gel:

http://www.wtb.com/products/speed-v

Scot's favorite is the extremely cushy ARS:

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/5000_1.html

Nice to be able to get some good cardio without pounding joints, huh?

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/23/2014 11:22 PM

I'm a big fan of the WTB Silverado and Devo. WTB has a demo saddle program where through certain shops you can try a their range and see what you like before buying one. You'd have to check with your LBS to see if they offer it. Fizik has a lot of good info on their site concerning saddle fit and could be a good rescource.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
5/27/2014 9:38 AM

I have one of the ARS sabbles on order.   Cushy sounded good to me...  If that doesn't work then I will give the WTB saddles a look.

Does anyone have any experience with the "Thud Buster" seat post?  Is it just a gimick?  I just want to cover the miles at a moderate (slow?) pace without tearing myself up.

Evan, yes I am pleasantly suprsrised at the workout I can get without tearing up my knees and back.  A welcome change.  

New Post
5/27/2014 11:44 AM

Based on the feedback that I could find I nearly went with a thudbuster and hardtail, I keep thinking about getting one to try on my 26" hardtail or Evan's bike.  Most reports are positive. 

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/9/2014 3:51 PM

...great call on the ARS saddle!  A significant improvement over the old saddle.

Looking forward giving a few higer end bikes a ride at the Summer Gathering.

New Post
7/19/2014 6:56 PM

posted for phdinfunk:

Looks like you're already set but there are two saddles I really like.

If the frame is super long, I like a standard brooks saddle. it's heavy, but once it's worn in, it's nice for long hauls. The problem is, I've got a long torso, so I need about the largest mountain bike frame, with a huge stem, to get it to ride properly as the Brooks doesn't have much forward/backward movement available.

Right now, I'm running a Fizik Alliante.. maybe it's got XR after the name, can't remember. That one was about a hundred bucks but it's been WONDERFUL for the last year of riding. Rescued the shorter frame I was never able to get the brooks to work on (I'm limited on frame sizes available here in Taiwan).

I've had good luck with both of those.

--JP

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/19/2014 6:57 PM

posted for strow:

Phdinfunk,

Thanks for the ideas I will give them a look.

A good fitting saddle sure makes life more enjoyable on the trail, thats for sure!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralMountain Bike saddles?Mountain Bike saddles?