Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralrehaftingrehafting
Previous

Next
New Post
2/12/2012 3:08 AM

Hey E. Hill, Seen your thread containing info on the condor hatchet. These have to be reprofiled as they are pretty thick and not very balanced and their steel is pretty poor compared to an good axe. An good forged and bitted axe should have an bit containing .6 to .8 carbon steel. In other words something like 1060 1070 1080 or 1084 carbon steel in the bit. One could go with 5160, but it works best being homogenius and not so much when forge welded in my limited experience. If you want to rehaft an small hatchet or axe head with an longer handle I've got an beautiful Iltis german small hatchet and an small Swedish axe that would work well enough. If you want one of these heads your welcome to them.

New Post
2/12/2012 11:52 AM

An update on that condor hatchet -- I was able to inspect it in person at SHOT. In addition to the shortcomings you point out, the eyelet is too small to get enough wood in to withstand the impact force of a longer haft. The condor is pretty much a no-go as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the offer. For the time being, my experimentation is taking a different tack. "Someone" just sent me a very beautiful slightly modernized rendition of a traditional Bowie. This is by far the finest large knife I've ever had my hands on. In addition to being a superbly balanced fighter for "open combat" conditions (rondy attendees from last year will recognize that one), it should make an excellent large camp knife. I often think "cheechako" when I see a big knife on someone's person, but there are very experienced woodsman (bushcrafters mostly) who do advocate and use larger knives. Larger knives have also been a common fixture in many indigenous cultures for a long time. So, I'm going to spend some time living with this bowie and see how it shakes out for me instead of a light hatchet.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
2/12/2012 12:17 PM

To say I am a bit jealous of that bowie is an understatment. I am covetous of it. The classic looks of it resulted in me putting aside my spyderco woodlander for awhile in favor of a bowie that my Mom had custom made for Dad in MT, St Ignaious for those interested, back in the early 1970s. Evan inherited it years ago from dad, and took apart two elk with it, but we have both carried it off and on over the years. Those attending the rondy will see it as I am  bringing it as my midsize tool.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralrehaftingrehafting