Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralStove Jack InstallStove Jack Install
Previous

Next
New Post
8/26/2010 1:10 PM

Well, no surprises so far. I emailed both Cyberweld and Tillman and they both said their products were not appropriate for my use.

Liability. Geez, people are so afraid of being sued you can't find out anything.

So still no straight answers...

Went by two different welding shops and quizzed them. They all think I'm pretty off my rocker but agreed to throw water on me if they ever saw me on fire...

New Post
8/31/2010 12:14 PM

Well, here's the latest. Was all ready to order a welding blanket from welding-blankets.com, but it turns out they tack on a $10 fee for small orders and shipping was $16, so my $29 piece of fabric was suddenly $55 and I wasn't sure it would work.

So I'm ordering a 3'x5' piece of fabric from TiGoat for $44 shipped. At least I feel it will be the right stuff...

New Post
2/3/2011 7:41 PM

Hey Evan, you still listening?

I just fired up my small Kif for the first time in my SL4 with my new boot in place.  (yeah, I've been busy on some other stuff)  Works great!  I'll put some pictures up somewhere tomorrow for anyone to peruse.  

One question.  Do you cover the vents in the SL4 somehow?  Seems like all the heat is going to go out the top.  

Thanks for all the instruction.  It turned out really well and I can't wait to really use it.  

Randy

Evan, I posted my results on 24 if you or anyone else wants to check it out.  

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4904207/gonew/1/SL4_with_new_Stove_Boot_Succes#UNREAD

New Post
2/7/2011 3:43 PM

Yep, but I was out on a ski camping trip since Thursday. We were sleeping in, you guessed it, an SL4 with wood stove in it. With nighttime lows of 10f, it was nice to have that stove. Also helping a friend out with an SL4 stove jack install as I write this.

I don't do the vent covers, but I know that Ed T has done that in the past. I don't mind some airflow myself. If I can't get the shelter hot enough, time to go with a bigger stove.

Thanks for reporting back on your project, and I'm looking forward to longer term information on the performance of the material you were able to hunt down.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/4/2011 2:37 PM

Evan,

Can't thank you enough for the free resource section on how to do this. The Kifaru Sawtooth is out of reach for me but this GoLite solution makes the tent/stove combo possible which is awesome.

Quick question...I'm about to pull the trigger on the GoLite but not sure whether to go with the SL4 or SL5. It will usually be me (6'2), my wife and our dog or just me and the dog. Any glaring reason to not go with the SL4? I think its more than enough space for the 3 of us but wanted to check here and see if there were any reasons to go with the SL5 for the tent/stove combo that I'm not aware of.

I'm planning on going with the Kifaru medium stove.

Also, I will be ordering the kit bag pretty soon here as well. Looking forward to seeing this community grow. Thanks again.

New Post
7/5/2011 12:12 PM

We are glad you found this useful.

I have a SL4+, which is the one we use, but it appears that Go-lite has discontinued that model and only has the 3 and 5 at this point. However,it looks like the SL5 is basically the same size as my 4. Given the choice between the 3 and 4 I would carry the extra 7oz for 35 more square feet of living space.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/5/2011 1:06 PM

GoLite wasn't particularly helpful in answering my "what is the diff between the 4 and 5" question when they first came out. Now that I've seen them side by side, I can tell you that you'd have to look closely at the eyebrow vent over the door on the 5 to know that it isn't a 4.

For 2 folks plus a dog and stove, you want the SL5, no question. For one guy plus a dog and stove, you want the SL5 as well. The kifaru medium stove in that size shelter might be overkill -- particularly for solo use. What conditions will you be using it in?

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/5/2011 3:58 PM

Didn't search enough before I posted. I found after my post that the SL5 is the only version I can get now unless I find a SL4 used somewhere. I would like this to be my go to tent year round. I'm reading up on a thread over at 24hourcampfire for a bug net solution. I'm thinking about the bearpaw net or going with the full on Shangri La nest for the times when bugs will be an issue.

I'll also want to use this in the winter for general winter camping or hunting with a buddy. I will be using this tent in Central Oregon (mostly) as we are moving to the area in September. Thanks for the info on the medium size Kifaru stove. I'll take a look at that small version.

New Post
7/11/2011 5:23 PM

We've been using an SL4 as a year round go-to tent in Central Oregon ourselves. Haven't needed a bug nest so far, but we also avoid areas where that will be a huge issue. The bearpaw setup does look pretty good.

Edit - should go without saying, but hit us up when you get to CO for a get together.

New Post
9/1/2011 7:46 AM

What kind of clearences should I leave from   the Silnylon tent fabric when installing a jack?

I will  be dealing with zippers on both sides of the stove jack and wonder if they will need more clearence to keep from deforming the teeth.  

New Post
9/1/2011 10:49 AM

bark-eater wrote

What kind of clearences should I leave from   the Silnylon tent fabric when installing a jack?

I will  be dealing with zippers on both sides of the stove jack and wonder if they will need more clearence to keep from deforming the teeth.  

I'm honestly not sure. I would think the fabric would be an issue long before the zippers would be. All I have is anecdotal -- when I put a stove jack in the sidewall of my Utopia 2, the "dowhill" side of the tent alongside the stovepipe was probably 2" away from the stovepipe on the inside. It's the same on the uphill side outside of the tent, but there is plenty of airflow there so that's not a problem. On the inside, the amount of heat that builds up between the pipe and tent makes me nervous sometimes. I end up staking that side out which exposes a mesh panel for airflow just to keep heat build up minimized. I wish there was more than 2" of clearance there, but it also hasn't spontaneously ignited yet either.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralStove Jack InstallStove Jack Install