Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralLightning Strike Firestarter and Napalm TinderLightning Strike Firestarter and Napalm Tinder
Previous

Next
New Post
10/17/2016 10:30 AM

With winter just around the corner (and having already arrived in some parts of the country), I thought I would share a video review of a new tinder that Darrell Holland has come up with, to go right along with his outstanding Lightning Strike Firestarter.  The Lightning Strike has become my go-to firestarter, especially in wet conditions.  I recently recommended this device to be an upgrade addition to the survival vest used by USDOJ pilots.  During a recent brief I gave to our pilot safety board in Fort Worth, TX, this was one of the items I recommended they add.  I spoke with Darrell Holland this morning out in Powers, OR to work out LE pricing for the Lightning Strike, and while on the phone he told me about the Napalm Tinder.  He is going to send some out to me so that we can try it out during an upcoming training event we are running in November.  Looking forward to it.  If it works out like I hope it does....the Napalm Tinder would be great to keep in a Kit Bag, and then keep some Überfire (my current favorite) in my pack.

At one point, the Hill bros had a few promotional Lightning Strike Firestarters with the HPG website emblazoned on them.  Evan & Scot sent me one quite a while back, and that's how I got to be a fan of the device.  It is really user-friendly and can even be operated one-handed.  I'm excited to see how the Napalm Tinder tests out.  

By the way, if anybody decides to order a Lightning Strike....I would recommend going with the smaller model...listed on the website as the "mini".  It is actually larger than it looks on the site, but is still small enough to fit in a Kit Bag or on your belt kit.  I carry mine either in a First Spear Admin Pouch mounted to my Heavy Recon, or in an HSGI Pistol Taco.

Just some food for thought for folks here on the HPG Forum who might be hoofing around out in the highcountry during the snowy months.

http://lightningstrikefirestarter.com...

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
10/17/2016 4:38 PM

thanks for the review, im always interested in new/updated fire tools

New Post
6/18/2017 10:35 PM

Great review. Led me to picking up the mini with extra tinder and rod to have on hand. The lightening strike is exactly as reviewed. Just finished recommending it to members on my SAR TEAM. Thanks for sharing the tribal knowledge.

Old Minds are like Horses, they need to be exercised! Stay Sharp!

New Post
6/18/2017 10:44 PM

Raven67 wrote:
Just spent the weekend up in the cascades teaching an intro to SAR program to new members. Each of them used this to start their fires. Needless to say, good preparation and one strike is all it took. Napalm tinder wasn't used so skill sets could be built. Off course it's dry and warm for a change, but the results are impressive to say the least.  The Napalm tinder would have made it even easier. Thanks for sharing this Ken. By the way, was that a Trojan horse patch from tenth group that I saw on one of your posts. I had some good friends in Bad Tolz back in the day. Cheers everybody!

Dale

Old Minds are like Horses, they need to be exercised! Stay Sharp!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralLightning Strike Firestarter and Napalm TinderLightning Strike Firestarter and Napalm Tinder