Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralhiking sticks?hiking sticks?
Previous

Next
New Post
6/5/2017 6:42 AM

I'm a year past an unfortunate deceleration incident, but some ankle stability is gone for good.  So I was  thinking it might be time to try out hiking sticks.  I'd  appreciate any recommendations for  middle of the  road sticks with proven durability.

New Post
6/5/2017 11:13 AM

I put a few hundred miles on a set of cheapo Komperdells from Sierra Trading.  They would occasionally loosen (twist-lock) and have to be reset/tightened.  If money is tight these are a best buy.  I just replaced them with a set of aluminum Black Diamond flick-locks but have yet to use them.

Part of the reason for going with the BD's was to use them to shoot off of, the flick-locks will (in theory) allow more rapid adjustment.  I haven't tried it out yet though.

New Post
6/6/2017 2:02 AM

Cascade mountain tech's carbon trekking poles,also known as "costco trekking poles" are allways top suggested for bang for the buck. The flick lock/cork handle version being the most popular. Andrew skurka has a great long term review of them on his blog. In the spring many costco's carry them, but if you cannot find them cascade sells direct. They also sell cheap replacement parts for them. We have 3 pairs, many miles, no issues. Following skurkas lead I upgraded mine to black diamond tips.

New Post
6/6/2017 6:42 AM

The "Black Diamond Distance FLZ Z-Poles" look interesting. Their pretty light for aluminum and have one flick lock for leangth adjustment.
Durability of the "Z" joints, i have no reading on that.

New Post
6/6/2017 9:47 AM

Aluminum, flicklock. Those are the requirements. Then you've got a choice of 2 piece (stronger) or 3 piece (more compact for carrying on pack). Beyond that, it doesn't matter too much. Whatever you can get from STP that has those attributes.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
6/16/2017 1:53 AM

Until recently, I had never used sticks/ poles. I purchased the "Costco" trekking poles, and used them on my Grand Canyon hike, and they held up very well. If your local Costco had them, they're $30 or available from Amazon for $40. Search Cascade Mountain Tech. 

These are carbon fiber, so they don't meet everyone's requirements, but they come highly recommended by a lot of sources, and I used them to pull myself out of the Grand Canyon.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralhiking sticks?hiking sticks?