Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralHas anyone heard more from Anton???Has anyone heard more from Anton???
Previous

Next
New Post
6/13/2017 12:21 PM

I got his initial message he sent out to his customers about the fire and such, but I have not heard anything else. Emailed him a few days ago asking if there was anything they needed 'tout suite' but have not heard back.

Was considering auctioning off a few of my Askari knives and sending Anton the money. Lord knows I could sell a few knives and not go wanting for any.

Mainly was curious if anyone had an update on his situation. Kills me to think of such a catastrophy befalling such a generous, giving fellow.

New Post
6/13/2017 4:28 PM

Yes, I've been in contact with him almost daily.  He lost everything in the fire.  He was lucky to escape with his wife, dogs, cellphone, and passport.  His neighbors were killed in the fire.  

He told me today that he sifted through some rubble and it appears that all of his kit for anti-poaching operations is gone.  He found a few buckles, but that was it.  Even the ceramic plates in his PC disintegrated.  I asked him to check if DHL would do shipments in, ones that wouldn't be messed around with by the corrupt people in the SA postal system.  Nope...they would not guarantee anything being delivered.  I donated some money to his SA-version Go Fund Me site.  I don't know if there is any kind of real insurance there like we have in the USA....I certainly hope so.  Someone should be held accountable for the negligence of the local fire department for ignoring the smoldering brush fire for 5 weeks prior to this tragic event.

I don't have any additional info at this time.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/14/2017 6:41 AM

https://gogetfunding.com/rebuilding-farm-103-knysna-fires/

This is an open letter written by Anton's wife - good people:

Dear family, friends and the kindest people I have not even met. Anton and I lived a simple yet abundant life in the farm / forest area of Sedgefield / Knysna. We planned, built – often with our own two hands – a home that we loved; we sculpted our lives around it and revelled in the joys of what it gave us. Our morning coffee ritual on the stoep, was also our time of absolute gratitude as we treasured the often small wonders of a new day breaking around us. Our little farming community became our life- line and our neighbours and friends became our family. The fire that shook our world and brought us to our knees is something I cannot yet grasp. WHAT to do next and HOW to start again… I do not know. But I know the WHY. We owe it to our friends and neighbours, Tony, Madre, Michael and Madre’s unborn baby to dust ourselves off, pick ourselves up and start again. That is what they would have done….in fact they would have helped us put the roof back on, for they were both engineers by trade. We also have to put on our armour and face the day to show our gratitude for every person who offered us assistance – in any form. From helping us to escape our burning house, to saving our three chickens, giving us as a roof over our heads, to gifts of clothes – to the smallest thing like a pack of cards, a nail clipper or a pair of socks. On top of that we received teary hugs, accompanied with a hand-full of cash stuffed in a pocket or a overseas phone-call from a high school friend wanting to donate money to Anton’s knife – making friends, work colleagues and customers coming together to help out. The generosity of people is overwhelming. The show of support of everybody restored my dwindling trust in humanity and made me humble me to the core. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for being part of our lives and helping us along our journey to recover and reconstruct our lives. We feel and appreciated your love and good wishes. Our hearts are with everybody affected by this tragedy.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralHas anyone heard more from Anton???Has anyone heard more from Anton???