Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralM2 Ratcheting Medical Tourniquet (RMT)M2 Ratcheting Medical Tourniquet (RMT)
Previous

Next
New Post
6/5/2017 3:31 PM

I learned about this new TQ, as that a colleague of mine happened to have one with him during my recent trip to El Salvador.  I messed around with it a bit and was impressed, so I decided to buy one to keep with my own kit.  

Use of it is pretty intuitive, and there are even steps printed on the webbing.  I bought the tan 1.5" wide version, but there are other colors and even a 2" wide and a Pediatric version available.

Applying it single-handed isn't hard at all...probably less time than a CAT-7 or SOF-T WIde, and definitely faster than a NATO TQ.  If it must be applied to a leg with the end of the webbing completely out of the buckle, it will take a bit longer, but probably only about as long as using any other TQ in the same way.  As with any tourniquet...practice is key.  The good news is that this TQ can be used and practiced with repeatedly without fear of it failing during a real-world situation.

Unlike the older, infamous "Ranger Ratchet Strap" TQ...which was capable of breaking bones if the user went too far, this one has a built-in stopping point that mitigates that risk.  

I need to practice with mine some more, but so far I am pretty impressed with it.  It is available from several different sources on line.  RMT

Take a look at the PDF Brochure on the Chinook Medical site above to see the step by step instructions for it.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/5/2017 3:45 PM

There was a tourniquet out early in the war that looked a lot like that.  It didn't fair well in the trials.  We used to keep one around for a "history of tourniquets" class.  It finally broke.  YMMV.

I'm by the CAT VII and the SOF-T like I am a Glock and an AR, they only need a tweak or two, no reason to look elsewhere any time soon.

New Post
6/5/2017 3:54 PM

Always with the Glock glue sniffing eh TAK?

New Post
6/5/2017 3:55 PM

Yep...I have one of the old Ranger Ratchet Straps....and that's the one I think you are speaking of.  I still carry a CAT-7 and SOF-T Wide as part of my standard load-out, but I'm not against checking out others for the sake of education and potential quicker results.  We train all of our students, whether US or Indig, on the CAT, as that it is THE most widely used and available one in the world, but for my own uses, I do like to try out others and see what works best for me and what ones are user-friendly.  The RMT will likely find a place in my kit, to augment my RATS (which I also like) and the SWAT-T.  The SOF-T Wide is the other one that consistently goes along.  I switch up from time to time.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/5/2017 6:01 PM

alpendrms wrote:

Yep...I have one of the old Ranger Ratchet Straps....and that's the one I think you are speaking of.

No, quite familiar with the Ranger Ratchet, the one we have for "show and tell" still works, unlike that other contraption that looks like your newfound TQ.

I agree a person in your shoes should aquaint himself with new stuff.  I probably should have more interest myself.  Age probably.

New Post
6/5/2017 6:02 PM

El Mac wrote:
Always with the Glock glue sniffing eh TAK?

Like a smallmouth on a Senko, you always bite :)

New Post
6/5/2017 6:14 PM

Ha! Touche amigo!

New Post
6/5/2017 7:15 PM

Take-a-knee wrote:  I probably should have more interest myself.  Age probably.

One thing is for certain....it's come a long way since using a stack of tongue depressors taped together and a cravat (along with 2x Large Bore IVs full-open).  The protocols of trauma management have jumped forward leaps and bounds since the old-school 300 F-1 and Goat Lab that I went to.  We are even teaching students about downgrading TQs....because in an Isolating Event that might last several days, one must know both the left and right limits of TQ use.

New Post
6/5/2017 9:58 PM

alpendrms wrote:

Take-a-knee wrote: since the old-school 300 F-1 and Goat Lab that I went to.

SSHHHH!!!.  You mean the gas station.

New Post
6/5/2017 10:10 PM

It's all gone now....even the gas station.

New Post
6/6/2017 7:40 AM

Here is a new/different take on the CAT...I've not heard of it, but that doesn't mean much.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ETMVQOI

New Post
6/6/2017 8:44 AM

El Mac wrote:
Here is a new/different take on the CAT...I've not heard of it, but that doesn't mean much.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ETMVQOI

Yep...looks like a sexy'ed up version of the CAT, with a metal windlass and maybe a more robust buckle.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralM2 Ratcheting Medical Tourniquet (RMT)M2 Ratcheting Medical Tourniquet (RMT)