Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSkis & Boots for pulk pullersSkis & Boots for pulk pullers
Previous

Next
New Post
1/12/2017 5:30 PM

hi all,
I've been scratching my head on better ways to do what I do.  I've got an old set of heavy touring skis with busted Fritschi Freeride bindings (plastic's brittle, broke when stomping in) because of the height of the bindings and the well-worn state of my Garmont Adrenaline touring boots, i never felt super nimble downhilling in this setup, but, with skins, I could climb pretty much anything.  

I've got MSR Denalis with additional tails, they're my go to if I'm breaking trail or around camp.  

I was thinking of being able to dork around with a pair of CC type skis, and especially for pulling the sled, be able to switch to snowshoes while wearing 1 pair of boots.  (in my case, it's La Sportiva Glaciers, crampon compatible leather boots that I use for elk hunting, snowshoeing, backpacking)  I could possibly be using these for late season elk hunts, or pulling the sled onto a lake to drill holes and stare at the Vexilar...  I'm looking at Silvretti 404s, 500s, Ramers (but I don't know about the sizing compared to the narrow skis I'm looking at)  I'm also looking at 3 pin boots and some old Kastle straight cc skis, (because I'm cheap, kinda, could be into that setup for < $100 from craigslist) but don't want wonky junk that I hate filling the garage.  Any thoughts out there guys?  

And thanks Evan for the time on the phone today, I think now I've got my thoughts more organized than earlier.  

New Post
1/12/2017 6:45 PM

These could be your huckleberry.  I totally love mine.  You could mount a pair of lightweight AT bindings on them, or even your Silvretta 404s, and ski them automatic crampon compatible boots.  The La Sportiva Glaciers won't do, as that they do not have the toe shelf to allow for a front bail.  Or, you could use Telemark bindings and pair them with leather touring boots.  I went with Voile 3 Pins and Scarpa T4s.  There are several options you could go with, even the X-Trace Universal binding....but I personally didn't think those bindings were that good.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/t...

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
1/16/2017 1:10 PM

Rob, the thing I didn't have time to say on the phone was that the new skis are SO much better than what came before that you should spend the money on a pair. Rossignol BC110 or BC125, Fischer S-Bound 112 or 125, Altai Kom. The Kom's are most likely at the top of the heap, but I've personally been using BC110s for a few seasons. Or, stand by for my "backcountry locomotion" video for more information. The raw footage is shot, but I need to edit yet.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/17/2017 3:09 PM

In my part of the world I see some people using berwin bindings......not sure how they would do in a more mountainous region. The old ones were known to get brittle over time but the new ones are made with a newer formula to address this. One boot for winter travel....berwins on the ski's and whatever binding on their snowshoe.......

New Post
1/25/2017 4:04 PM

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/25/2017 5:05 PM

Very nice!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
1/25/2017 6:58 PM

Big thumbs up here too. Been bc skiing since 78 and all of it hits home.

I'LL add alico boots are still available from stp. Great for hiking and skiing in 75mm nordic norm.

If you lean more toward downhill performance I'd add the voile vector bc and voile charger bc but I wouldn't try to drive them with anything smaller than a scarpa t3.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSkis & Boots for pulk pullersSkis & Boots for pulk pullers