Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSleeping PadsSleeping Pads
Previous

Next
New Post
1/14/2017 10:16 AM

Did a search and found no info, so I'm posting a new thread.

I need a quality sleeping pad for cool to cold weather...20's down to 0 and below. Weight is not critical as it will be used mostly at deer base camp in my tipi during the month of November. It will also see time winter camping in the BWCAW (short forays) and on an upcoming fly-in caribou hunt. Reliability is critical though. So far whenever I've looked the multituce of options are distracting so I'm hoping to get some direction here and conduct a more focused search.

Thanks in advance.

New Post
1/14/2017 10:52 AM

It's not an inflatable so it can't fail and there are several configurations to choose from.

http://www.wiggys.com/ground-pads/ground-pad/

New Post
1/14/2017 10:55 AM

Thermarest XS (36in long) over an Alps brand pad (IIRC, it is evazote, lighter than a Ridgerest) works for me.  IIRC the two weigh 17oz.  I would describe the combo as adequately comfortable, though a Neoair is MORE comfortable, but isn't as warm.  I just bought a Neoair X-therm but I've not used it.  It is made from a heavier fabric  (70 denier) than the yellow ones ( 30 denier).

New Post
1/15/2017 7:52 AM

I have a NeoAir and it's okay in the comfort department. I supplement it with a closed cell foam pad in colder weather (Ridgerest) because R-values seem to stack just like you think they would.

When I don't mind the weight I carry a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core (about 2 pounds) that I've had for years for even more comfort. BA actually replaced it after the seams failed with a newer model. The only problem I had with it is I got to try out a BA Insulated Q-Core and it was even more comfortable with the same R-value so I've been thinking about upgrading.

New Post
1/15/2017 1:20 PM

Forgot to mention that my current cold weather set up is a RidgeRest XL under a Wiggy's. It's warm and moderately comfortable, but always think there must be something more efficient (one pad to do it all). Reading the post by 41mag reminded me of my initial reason for liking my Wiggy's pad as well as my RidgeRest...they can't fail unless I lose them on the trail (my younger son has done that). Did not realize Wiggy's made their pad in different configurations. Will have to check that out.

Thanks for the thoughts, all. Anyone else?

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralSleeping PadsSleeping Pads