Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralAlcohol Stove FuelAlcohol Stove Fuel
Previous

Next
New Post
1/8/2017 12:41 PM

Hey - quick question: what's the difference between Klean Strip Denatured Alcohol and Klean Strip Green Denatured Alcohol as far as using in an alcohol stove? I have the regular stuff lying around from some old projects, so I figured that'd be fine to use. I'm still trying to get used to alcohol stoves, so if this is a stupid question... I guess I'm just stupid. ha. - J

New Post
1/8/2017 5:38 PM

From their website:

"Our Klean-Strip® Green™ Denatured Alcohol delivers the same great performance as regular Klean-Strip® formula — but is made from 95% natural and renewable resources."

I've used half a dozen different brands of denatured alcohol and they all seem fairly similar in burn temperatures - some just soot up the bottom of the pot a little more than others. Due to local availability, I tend to use Crown branded stuff most often.

New Post
1/10/2017 12:52 PM

GoKartz wrote:

Hey - quick question: what's the difference between Klean Strip Denatured Alcohol and Klean Strip Green Denatured Alcohol as far as using in an alcohol stove? I have the regular stuff lying around from some old projects, so I figured that'd be fine to use. I'm still trying to get used to alcohol stoves, so if this is a stupid question... I guess I'm just stupid. ha. - J

I buy HEET in the yellow bottle.  No soot.  The soot is likely from water in the fuel.  It lowers the combustion temp, and since ETOH is already low in the BTU dept. , it doesn't cook for crap if there is water in the alcohol

New Post
1/11/2017 5:29 AM

Hey 41mag - looking at their website, great idea! After digging around it looks like regular Klean Strip Green is supposed to be 80-90% ethanol, and only 5% methanol, while the regular denatured alcohol is only 40-50% ethanol and 50-55% methanol.

Hey TAK - from what I understand, yellow HEET is mostly methanol? Is that better than ethanol or a mix of the two? If I recall my chemistry right, methanol would probably work better at lower temps because it has a higher vapor pressure. But I'm not sure how my lab knowledge would hold up on the trail...

Either way, it sounds like using the stuff I have is a decent call. Sounds like I'll be getting my stove out and playing with it today! Good thing its raining. :)

Thank y'all for helping.

- J

New Post
1/11/2017 7:08 AM

Here's a couple of write-ups you may find useful.

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/08/alcohol-as-stove-fuel.html

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

All of my hiking (stove use) used to take place in the Fall/Winter so I kept a 4 oz bottle close to me while I slept to mitigate the combustion issue when temps were low. In the field, I could not tell much difference between any of the formulations I used. YMMV

New Post
1/11/2017 7:50 AM

Thanks for the links 41magfan. I'll get to reading those on lunch. From your experience it sorta sounds like the alcohol you have is better than the alcohol you don't. Ha. - J

New Post
1/11/2017 2:28 PM

41magfan wrote:

All of my hiking (stove use) used to take place in the Fall/Winter so I kept a 4 oz bottle close to me while I slept to mitigate the combustion issue when temps were low. 

^ +1 on this. I use an old Theraflu bottle since they're flat and the cap seals up good. They're 8 ounces instead of 4.

New Post
1/11/2017 9:45 PM

Kartz, It is my understanding that HEET in the yellow bottle is pure methanol.  As long as it is sealed in the bottle it has an indefinite shelf life.  The only thing that messes up methanol is H2O, as any alcohol is hygroscopic.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralAlcohol Stove FuelAlcohol Stove Fuel